Caribbean Thomson or P & O

Hi everyone

I know it's a long way off but considering a Carribean cruise for March 2014. We've only ever cruised with Thomson's, been on Celebration, Spirit and Destiny and thoroughly enjoyed everyone, some itineries better than others.

P & O brochures are now out up to March 2014, don't think Thomson's will be out until later this year. P & O are now offering price guarantee so if the price drops you receive an incentive either on board credit or free airport parking etc.

The prices are really reasonable and I've heard drinks priced are comparable to bar prices at home.

We've been lucky enough to get free all inclusive with Thomson as we've always booked early. Don't think they do free all inclusive to the Carribean but may be wrong.

I would be really grateful for the views of anyone who's cruised on both cruise line to maybe help me to decide.

Hi everyone

I know it's a long way off but considering a Carribean cruise for March 2014. We've only ever cruised with Thomson's, been on Celebration, Spirit and Destiny and thoroughly enjoyed everyone, some itineries better than others.

P & O brochures are now out up to March 2014, don't think Thomson's will be out until later this year. P & O are now offering price guarantee so if the price drops you receive an incentive either on board credit or free airport parking etc.

The prices are really reasonable and I've heard drinks priced are comparable to bar prices at home.

We've been lucky enough to get free all inclusive with Thomson as we've always booked early. Don't think they do free all inclusive to the Carribean but may be wrong.

I would be really grateful for the views of anyone who's cruised on both cruise line to maybe help me to decide.

It might be better to wait until the Thomson brochure is available so you can compare prices. Thomson will be basing Dream in the Caribbean based at Barbados (no free AI) while P&O will have both Azura and Ventura which are almost identical ships. Because P&O have 2 ships there might well be some bargains as they attempt to fill both Vessels. The itineries might be similar as well.

A comparison for early next February has a 14 nighter on Thomson at £3042 for an inside and P&O £3058 so there is little difference in the price this winter.

It might be better to wait until the Thomson brochure is available so you can compare prices. Thomson will be basing Dream in the Caribbean based at Barbados (no free AI) while P&O will have both Azura and Ventura which are almost identical ships. Because P&O have 2 ships there might well be some bargains as they attempt to fill both Vessels. The itineries might be similar as well.

A comparison for early next February has a 14 nighter on Thomson at £3042 for an inside and P&O £3058 so there is little difference in the price this winter.

Do P&O add service charge to drinks? I seem to remember reading they don't. Is there a difference in the standard measure of drink because this makes a difference to the actual cost of each drink? Are tips included in the price? Sorry for all the questions, Dave, but I may be interested in P&O in the future.

Do P&O add service charge to drinks? I seem to remember reading they don't. Is there a difference in the standard measure of drink because this makes a difference to the actual cost of each drink? Are tips included in the price? Sorry for all the questions, Dave, but I may be interested in P&O in the future.

no service charge on P&O drinks although the spirit measures are stand pub size (25ml?) compared with thomson 40ml plus Thomson give you free mixers.

P&O auto tips are £3.10 per person per day although you can get them removed if you wish.

You do get a free safe though :) and launderettes.

I've done the Caribbean with P&O and like you I am looking at early 2014 for another trip. My TA has popped me on advance notification of the new Thomson brochure as I am seriously considering a Thomson cruise.

At the moment Thomson are streets ahead for me - nothing wrong with P&O but I like the fact there is just one gala dinner a week (the venues call for informality) and the ship is smaller. TA did say some freebies are usually available when first released (upgrades/AI we'll have to wait and see).

I have cruised in the Caribbean with both lines. I like both lines for different reasons and would find it difficult to decide if the prices were very similar. P&O are more formal, but the ships are bigger with more alternative dining options. There is not a lot of difference in the drink prices when comparing Thompson larger measures at a higher price. Tips are in with Thompson, but we always tip the waiters and cabin steward, but that is our choice. I think Thompson have more of a fun factor than P&O but again a cruise is what you make it, they both cater mainly for the Brit market. I think P&O has the edge on food quality. Check out the small print of the P&O price guarantee, it only applies to vantage fares, if the price is cut considerably and is classed as a late deal you will not get any benefit, albeit every little helps.

Personally I would not book a Caribbean cruise so early , as I believe that the costs will fall dramatically, there is also plenty of other choice, Princess and Royal Caribbean are also very good. There is Celebrity, Cunard, NCL and HAL who although not as much aimed at the Brit market certainly compare on price and itinerary. Hope I haven’t muddied the waters too much

WISE PERSON:cool::cool::cool:

no service charge on P&O drinks although the spirit measures are stand pub size (25ml?) compared with thomson 40ml plus Thomson give you free mixers.

P&O auto tips are £3.10 per person per day although you can get them removed if you wish.

You do get a free safe though :) and launderettes.

Thanks, Dave, the tips are actually considerably less than we gave to staff on the Majesty this year.

Are there drinks packages available?

Many thanks for all your advice. Think I'll wait till the Thomson brouchure comes out later this year. P & O are currently asking about £1685 for 2 weeks in March 2014. Be interesting to see what Thomson prices will be. We pay quite a bit for tips on Thomson anyway even though they're supposed to be included and usually book an inside cabin on deck 4. The first time we cruised we upgraded to an outside cabin on deck 7 but we spend so little time in the cabin that we don't think it's worth it.

We haven't been on the Dream but after hearing good reports recently might be ideal opportunity to try it.

My sister in law is booked on the Dream for Feb 2013, they booked in Nov last year but there was no all inclusive. Although we're not big drinkers it's nice to know that you don't have to spend much once the cruise is paid for. I have a special birthday in March 2014 so that's the reason for wanting to book then.

We love the atmosphere on Thomson.

I love looking on here most days really helpful forum.

Embarrassing! :o Just posted this on the wrong thread so have copied to post here since this is where it's meant to be! (And I promise it's not all a wicked plan to top the Board Reader - although I must confess it looks very suspicious!)

I don't know how the itineraries stack up for 2014 but something else you may want to consider is days in port. Last time I checked out a P&O Caribbean cruise there were two sea days per week as compared with Thomson's one. This may not be the case for the season you are considering and may not be an issue for you either - but just thought it worth mentioning.

My sister in law is booked on the Dream for Feb 2013, they booked in Nov last year but there was no all inclusive. Although we're not big drinkers it's nice to know that you don't have to spend much once the cruise is paid for. I have a special birthday in March 2014 so that's the reason for wanting to book then.

We love the atmosphere on Thomson.

I love looking on here most days really helpful forum.

Hi Grannymags, we booked the Dream for may 2013 only a couple of months ago and got all inclusive chucked in at no extra.

Berwyn

Hi all

I don't think free all inclusive is offered on the Carribean cruise at least it wasn't when my sister in law booked up last November think they paid about £398.

Think one day at sea a week is enough for me and although we like dressing up for dinner not sure I would like 2 formal nights a week especially in the Carribean. Looks like I'm leaning towards Thomson Dream. Can't wait for brochures now!

Mags

X

Archived