Meraviglia in Marseilles

little britain

FYI be careful about docking times in Marseilles when planning tours or onward transportation. The UK and USA sites clearly say she docks at 8am , but on board they say they “ always” dock at 9am.

There were many very stressed upset people on board who missed trains, or had their taxis waiting over an hour....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you for this little tidbit. We are embarking on our Cruise out of Marseille on March 31st, and disembarking there as well on April 7th. Thankfully have not booked anything yet for that Port. :):)

FYI be careful about docking times in Marseilles when planning tours or onward transportation. The UK and USA sites clearly say she docks at 8am , but on board they say they “ always” dock at 9am.

There were many very stressed upset people on board who missed trains, or had their taxis waiting over an hour....

It's always important not to book tours or onward transportation too early.

Hey Little Britain - thanks for that. Quick question... are there American style outlets onboard, or do I need to bring my adapter, coming from the USA?

Hey Gatlinburg - we board the day after y'all in Genoa. Will be in the Yacht Club. If we run into you, you can give us some Marseille tips. So far nothing sounds good except walking up into town.

Cheers,

Richard

give us some Marseille tips. So far nothing sounds good except walking up into town.

Cheers,

Richard

Aix en Provence is a very popular place to visit from the Marseilles port. Have you checked out the Ports of Call forum for ideas?

Personally I don't like Marseille much and I don't think Aix-en-Provence is very interesting.

I actually agree with you, having visited last year on an excursion when on Meraviglia. However, as I said, it's a popular trip. I thought that I was just missing something. :rolleyes:

I actually agree with you, having visited last year on an excursion when on Meraviglia. However, as I said, it's a popular trip. I thought that I was just missing something. :rolleyes:

I know, it's very popular with tourist from all over the world, I just don't see the attraction. There are great things to visit in Provence but when you only have limited time it's not always easy to find the perfect excursion.

Hey Little Britain - thanks for that. Quick question... are there American style outlets onboard, or do I need to bring my adapter, coming from the USA?

Hey Gatlinburg - we board the day after y'all in Genoa. Will be in the Yacht Club. If we run into you, you can give us some Marseille tips. So far nothing sounds good except walking up into town.

Cheers,

Richard

cfaccee4205baecd47cdeea19dda3bb7.jpg

2 USA 2 European and 1 usb on the desk

It's always important not to book tours or onward transportation too early.

You would expect that the info on the website and in the cruise documents to be correct. Whilst it is always sensible to build in a little room for delays it caused a lot of unnecessary stress for some... which was not a good end to what otherwise was a very enjoyable cruise.

Hey Fatchump,

Personally I don't like Marseille much and I don't think Aix-en-Provence is very interesting. I don't know what kind of activities you like but check this out :

https://www.visite-des-calanques.com/en/

The calanques are very beautiful and worth seeing.

Can we just take a boat or tour to Calanques from port? and how much it would be aprox?

so you would not recommend to go to Aix-en-Provence? Calanques will be better option?

Hey Goldenbonny

Aix is basically a big city. I do not know what day you’ll be there but the market is nice. Otherwise just a big city ;)

But some people like this kind of excursion. I don’t but it’s something very personal.

The calanques are more of a natural beauty excursion.

104a71328246ecf1b72569b552fb3b8d.jpg

bd7e13ff5c4f3b72993d71674e04604a.jpg

f8ff4a89ca2551b2148fc46177480333.jpg

I spent 3 days in Aix and Arles prior to my cruise last week.

I don't know what to do :( Its our first time in France and we don't want to see Marseilles . Our goal to see France , have some french food, buy Armagnac . Our ship is in port from 1:00 pm to 8 pm. :(

Hey Goldenbonny

Aix is basically a big city. I do not know what day you’ll be there but the market is nice. Otherwise just a big city ;)

But some people like this kind of excursion. I don’t but it’s something very personal.

The calanques are more of a natural beauty excursion.

We are there on Friday from 1 pm to 8 pm. My options from MSC are: AIX-EN-PROVENCE,CASSIS,CHARMING ARLES. More and more I think Cassis is better option for us.

We are there on Friday from 1 pm to 8 pm. My options from MSC are: AIX-EN-PROVENCE,CASSIS,CHARMING ARLES. More and more I think Cassis is better option for us.

Please do not stress. Whatever you choose you will have a great time. You are right about Marseille (no S;)): do not stay there. It´s not a nice place.

From the 3 you mentionned I would pick Cassis without hesitating: it is gorgeous.

I'm sure you will find Armagnac in Provence but the local drink is Pastis.

Please do not stress. Whatever you choose you will have a great time. You are right about Marseille (no S;)): do not stay there. It´s not a nice place.

From the 3 you mentionned I would pick Cassis without hesitating: it is gorgeous.

I'm sure you will find Armagnac in Provence but the local drink is Pastis.

Thank you , I will go with Cassis , looks like best option for now.

I thought Aix was a very nice place, all very central and walkable; nice market, little cobbled streets, beautiful church and many great restaurants. Very managable for a true taste of Provence IMHO.

12bf2a69d816d2c3ffe8c8be2c8f9d0c.jpg

1409f5bb7beb7505d11f6b7b07ffffd1.jpg

0ad270f1c75dc5970004c4cbf4511ebf.jpg

thank you, nice pictures. I will go with Casssis this time I guess.

Thanks for the info (both on Marseille and the sockets!). I don't have any excursion plans in Marseille but still good to know. When we cruise Europe we like to just get off in port and mooch around mostly! I was thinking of just getting the bus into the old port area.