Egypt in November? Any guesses?

Pluto_fan

We're thinking of booking a cruise for the first week of November which includes Alexandria. Any guesses on whether that port call will happen? Of course no one knows for sure as of now, I'm just interested in people's thoughts. We're considering MSC and NCL, if it makes any difference. Thanks!

Depends how important that port visit is to you...the cruise will not be cancelled if there are concerns, just that port. is it a deal breaker? In that case, don't book it.

No one can predict what will be happening in six months in Egypt. I hope all is calm. I just finished cancelling my dream trip which was leaving March 13. Tour was cancelled. Air will be refunded through cancellation insurance. But I'm still going to be out $1100 for the insurance. I hope to be able to rebook for March 2012 but I'm not going to try it until the situation is as normal. So, in your case, if the port call of Alexandria/Cairo is essential to this cruise, you don't want to risk your$$

good luck!

Most European nations have already lifted part of the travel ban to Egypt. This is only applicable to Hurghada, Safaga, Sharm, Luxor and all southern-nile cruises. Up to now, Alexandria, Cairo and Port Said are still a no-go for the moment.

Since the elections are in September, nobody can predict what the situation will be like in November.

Our concern is that we are supposed to arrive in September two days after the elections are scheduled to finish. Holland America do not seem to have made any announcements yet, which is understandable as from what I can see, they do not have any ships going there until later in the year. But it seems to me that it will be decided on the US government Travel advisory. If it is like our Australian government advisory, it will be very conservative. Actually, if we took any notice of our advisory, we'd never leave home (though I am pleased to see my coming trip involves one place of relatively low risk; Hong Kong!)

We just cancelled our dream vacation-cruise from Dubai to Barcelona (through Suez Canal with stops in Egypt and Jordan). As much as I want to go to that region I will wait at least a year after September elections to see how stable the situation is there (if the word "stability" even applies to this part of the world). The ports can be open and probably some cruise lines will resume their normal itineraries, but I wouldn't rush there. Just my own opinion...

i decided to book on celebrity constellation for 14 night departing 6th November. i guess the situation is getting calmer and it is still long time ahead. i did this cruise last year with Nile blue and i think that Egypt is a must. i decided to take the risk. Egypt is a wonderful country and i hope time will heal its wounds

Depends how important that port visit is to you...the cruise will not be cancelled if there are concerns, just that port. is it a deal breaker? In that case, don't book it.

No one can predict what will be happening in six months in Egypt. I hope all is calm. I just finished cancelling my dream trip which was leaving March 13. Tour was cancelled. Air will be refunded through cancellation insurance. But I'm still going to be out $1100 for the insurance. I hope to be able to rebook for March 2012 but I'm not going to try it until the situation is as normal. So, in your case, if the port call of Alexandria/Cairo is essential to this cruise, you don't want to risk your$$. good luck!

We agree. Egypt was the main reason we chose this itinerary and even though our trip isn't until September we are leaning towards cancelling. We think it makes sense to wait until at least 2012 for things to calm down in the region.

Sorry to hear that you are out the money and hope you are able to get there soon.

We are in a similar boat (no pun intended!). I have wanted to see Egypt my whole life and booked a cruise with an overnight in Alexandria for our 30th anniversary in March 2012. I can cancel at full refund up until Jan 6, 2012 and plan to cross my fingers and hope things stabilize so that this trip can happen as planned. If Egypt looks like a no-go for that date we will either keep the cruise with the alternate port or look for something else that we might prefer. I am trying to think positive thoughts!!

i decided to book on celebrity constellation for 14 night departing 6th November. i guess the situation is getting calmer and it is still long time ahead. i did this cruise last year with Nile blue and i think that Egypt is a must. i decided to take the risk. Egypt is a wonderful country and i hope time will heal its wounds

Hi, why don't you join the X-Constellation roll call for the Nov 6th Holy Land sailing...we have a very active board... about 62 people are now registered for the connections party (meet & greet) and a lot of posts re: private excursions if you want to join in

We are booked on an MSC repositioning cruise from Genoa to the Arabian gulf in October calling at Port Said and through the Suez Canal. We also call at ports in Jordan, Yemen and Oman.

I appreciate the situation can change, one way or another, before October but before i go ahead and book our flights I'm wondering if it might be better to cancel the cruise. :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

No one can predict what will be happening in six months in Egypt. I hope all is calm. I just finished cancelling my dream trip which was leaving March 13. Tour was cancelled. Air will be refunded through cancellation insurance. But I'm still going to be out $1100 for the insurance. I hope to be able to rebook for March 2012 but I'm not going to try it until the situation is as normal. So, in your case, if the port call of Alexandria/Cairo is essential to this cruise, you don't want to risk your$$

good luck!

Marie, good advise. It is hard to predict at this point. If flexibility is your thing, and you don't mind being diverted to Crete or Istanbul, go for it. I personally think there is a moderate risk of cancellation. If it was me, I would plan on another trip, and push Egypt back to another year.

We are booked on an MSC repositioning cruise from Genoa to the Arabian gulf in October calling at Port Said and through the Suez Canal. We also call at ports in Jordan, Yemen and Oman.

I appreciate the situation can change, one way or another, before October but before i go ahead and book our flights I'm wondering if it might be better to cancel the cruise. :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Nobody can make this decision for you - we can just share our experience or make guesses. I know I won't book anything for that region until spring or maybe even fall of the next year. I've learned my lesson: we had everything in place - cruise booked and paid in full, hotels, flights, tours. Everything got ruined in one hour when RCI changed itinerary and gave us extra sea days on the top we already had and 2 crappy ports instead of Egypt and Jordan ports. Of course, we cancelled. Lost $$$ on air tickets. Never again. If you want to risk your $$$ then you can stay with MSC and wait what happens in September/October. But I am pretty sure no cruise line will resume regular itineraries before September elections in Egypt.

Hi, why don't you join the X-Constellation roll call for the Nov 6th Holy Land sailing...we have a very active board... about 62 people are now registered for the connections party (meet & greet) and a lot of posts re: private excursions if you want to join in

thanks for you offer. i called hazem in Nile blue and asked him to send me itineraries for Egypt and other ports as i want one package for more than one port.

can you send me the name of the companies in Egypt and other ports and their price that your group is planning to hire??. i would be thankful for that.

thanks

thanks for you offer. i called hazem in Nile blue and asked him to send me itineraries for Egypt and other ports as i want one package for more than one port.

can you send me the name of the companies in Egypt and other ports and their price that your group is planning to hire??. i would be thankful for that.

thanks

Here are the companies most of us are booked:

Egypt Private Excursions for Egypt

Guided Tours Israel for Israel

Hello Ephesus for Kusadasi

Doing DIY (do it yourself) in Rhodes and Malta

The prices depend on how many people in your group but I think they're very reasonable

Heard on NPR this evening that the Egypt Museum (as well as the other tourist sites in and around Cairo) reopened today. They actually interviewed some Dutch tourists who were just starting a 14day holiday...

Now when the cruiselines deem the country safe is anybody's guess.

Heard on NPR this evening that the Egypt Museum (as well as the other tourist sites in and around Cairo) reopened today. They actually interviewed some Dutch tourists who were just starting a 14day holiday...

Just curious -- what are the State Department recommendations these days? They tend to be pessimistic (for here, too), but I can understand where they are coming from.

They actually interviewed some Dutch tourists who were just starting a 14day holiday...

Dutch and German planes are leaving for Egypt packed solid after the travel ban was partly lifted. Most European governments are only still advising caution when visiting Cairo. If you are on a European cruiseline (Costa, Thompson, MSC) chances are that you will call at ports on the Red Sea.

NCL news alert for passengers booked on the Jade: "We are canceling Norwegian Jade’s next two scheduled stops in Egypt (Feb 13 & March 6 sailings)...." The substitute is two nights in Istanbul. We had been booked on the Jade for Rome to Alexandria and back starting December 7. We have just rebooked to the cruise just before that in considerable part because it includes two Israeli ports along with Said-Alexandria. Unlike several other lines, Norwegian appears to be optimistic that the situation in Egypt will be a lot calmer by April.

Dutch and German planes are leaving for Egypt packed solid after the travel ban was partly lifted. Most European governments are only still advising caution when visiting Cairo. If you are on a European cruiseline (Costa, Thompson, MSC) chances are that you will call at ports on the Red Sea.

Yes, Thomson's have sailed all the time through the troubles; neighbours are presently on a repositioning cruise on Celebration, which should be sailing from Sharm through the Suez Canal right now.

Jo.

can you send me the itinerary in Israel to compare with what nile blue might suggest to me?

thanks

terry

Yes, Thomson's have sailed all the time through the troubles; neighbours are presently on a repositioning cruise on Celebration, which should be sailing from Sharm through the Suez Canal right now.

Jo.

Maintaining the long traditions of "Keep calm and carry on," right? ;)

Archived