Post Cruise

MSW117SL

Any suggestions on what to do post cruise if you only have 48 hours before you must fly home? We will be doing a Northbound Cruise ending in Whittier. I wish we had more time to explore Alaska but we can't so any suggestions on what we should do would be great! Thanks.

We will dock Saturday morning and then fly out Monday evening around 7:00pm from Anchorage. So I am trying to figure out how best to fill the limited amount of time we have. Too hard to really make it to Denali and truly enjoy it, so any thing close to Anchorage we should see or do? It will be my 9 year old son, husband and I. We are active and love wild life. Hope that helps. Thanks!

Rented a car and had plenty to explore between Whittier and Anchorage! Stayed here: https://www.alyeskaresort.com/resort

Explored the Area with hikes and fun little stops along the way. Portage Lake, potter marsh bird sanctuary, Watching the tide and fishermen, spotting moose and eagles. Highly recommend this instead of heading straight to Anchorage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any suggestions on what to do post cruise if you only have 48 hours before you must fly home? We will be doing a Northbound Cruise ending in Whittier. I wish we had more time to explore Alaska but we can't so any suggestions on what we should do would be great! Thanks.

My choice would be to head South to Seward. If renting a car, you can stop at the Alaska Wildlife Center, Aleskya and Exit Glacier on your way to Seward on Saturday. If you arrive early enough, go to the Alaska SeaLife Center. Stay overnight in Seward and take one of the longer Kenai Fjords Tours that gets you close to the glaciers on Sunday. You could then drive to Anchorage after the tour and stay in Anchorage. This would give you time to Tour Anchorage on Monday until about 3:00 - 4:00 before heading to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one thing to realize is renting a car in Whittier and dropping it off in Anchorage can be expensive, though would be the best use of time. You may be best to take transportation to Anchorage airport and then rent a car from there and return it for your flight.

Seward is a great town also and a beautiful drive from Anchorage. It would be tight time wise but worth seeing.

Can you get yourselves to Seward? If so, I’d rent a car there to explore the area, then on the morning of your flight, take the train to Anchorage ... you’ll see some of the views that you can’t from the road and won’t have to worry about a one-way rental.

Another option (that would not have been available to us in 2001) ... if there are accommodations in Whittier, then rent a car and stay there to explore the area and Seward. This would work well especially of there is a train running from Whittier to Anchorage. There was in 2001 ... we had to time our drive through the tunnel with the train schedule since both vehicles and the train used the same one.

Lots to see and do in that area ... including the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, SeaLife, Exit Glacier, etc. If you look in the August 2010 archives of my blog (http://2totravel.blogspot.com/) you’ll find ideas and photos.

Of course, there is also the option to use the ship’s transfer from Whittier to Anchorage and explore from there with a car. We’ve always found plenty to keep us occupied in the Anchorage area for a few days.

Have fun ... Alaska is fantastic.

Can you get yourselves to Seward? If so, I’d rent a car there to explore the area, then on the morning of your flight, take the train to Anchorage ... .

Can't do this. Would have to take the train the night before...it leaves Seward at 6 pm.

Have you looked at what is available, in Whittier, Seward and Anchorage? I suggest you do that before going much further. It's up to you to determine what YOU want to see and include.

You do mention wildlife- in my opinion, the best opportunity is going to be Kenai Fjords by boat. To best accomplish this, arrange a transport that will get out the 8am tunnel. There are services available. You don't have time for a rental car since you can't count on getting out until the 9am tunnel.

There are many options. I'd suggest being open to spending some money, if needed, I value my time and make the most of my priorities. :)