AMAPrima Black Sea Voyage Live Blog/Review Sept 2014

Familygoboston

Thanks to all of you for following along!! If you got this far, you deserve my very hearty thanks!!

The next day we did the usual stuff that no one has any interest in...traveling to the airport, waiting, checking in, waiting, boarding, waiting, flying, waiting, waiting, waiting, (deciding that this will be our last coach flight longer than 8 hours, and that we are ready to graduate to business class) landing, waiting, passport check, waiting, getting bags, customs, waiting, bus to the parking lot, waiting, paying the parking fee...well, you get the idea!

We are home now exactly one month today...and looking back it was an incredible trip, with so few snafus or complaints. (with the exception of the sad loss of one of our fellow passengers) My research had led me to AMA, and I was not disappointed; they run a top notch organization, and service and facilities were excellent and any time they were made aware of something that fell even the teeniest bit short, someone was there to correct it!!

My time spent researching was well worth the effort. I appreciate all my fellow CC'ers who posted reviews. My TA made sure every detail was covered...if I hadn't planned and booked it, they made sure they had and we were left with just showing up and enjoying the trip!

We met some wonderful people, saw amazing sights, experienced some difficult but eye opening scenes, were warmly welcomed every where we went and would happily return to any of the places we visited!

Any questions? ;)

Amazing review, one of the very best that I have ever read.

Thanks so much for putting so much effort into the review.

Judy

Thank you!! I try to stay organized while I travel so it's easy to pull together the notes, and pair them with the photos, but yes, for the last two weeks, all my free time has been writing! :o Luckily I enjoy it, but my family is anxious to have me back:D Really, when I take it all in, I think what makes it for me are Hubby's photos!!

Thank you!! I try to stay organized while I travel so it's easy to pull together the notes, and pair them with the photos, but yes, for the last two weeks, all my free time has been writing! :o Luckily I enjoy it, but my family is anxious to have me back:D Really, when I take it all in, I think what makes it for me are Hubby's photos!!

Thank you for such a wonderful review and beautiful photos to go along with it. You and your husband work well together; he as the photographer and you and the organized note taker. Till your next trip.............:D.

Loved the entire review! All your other reviews and blog as well! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for such a wonderful review and beautiful photos to go along with it. You and your husband work well together; he as the photographer and you and the organized note taker. Till your next trip.............:D.

Thank you both! We do work pretty well together! Now that this review is done, I'm planning to spend a little more time with the blog. I've got to get caught up on Trip Advisor reviews of the hotels, and I just asked our TA for 2 brochures for Azamara and Windstar. We've decided our sweet spot is active, casual, smaller ships with focus on the destination. From talking to fellow travelers these seem like some good choices.

JazzBeaus advice is sticking with me and we were thinking of taking that Panama Canal cruise. But I'm going to cancel our booked Jewel OS 2015 Panama Canal because our daughter will be having her 1st parents weekend (and we don't want to miss that) and because I wasn't loving the 7 sea days from LA. These above ships offer early 2016 itineraries that work with our dates, but I think they work with our cruising style even better! Jazz, I think there is something to what you said..putting the PC cruise on our list sooner rather than later! Choosing a better cruiseline and itinerary may make it work for us:D

If any of you have cruised either of these lines and want to weigh in...you know I love opinions!

Edited by Familygoboston

• 1 month later...
Thank you both! We do work pretty well together! Now that this review is done, I'm planning to spend a little more time with the blog. I've got to get caught up on Trip Advisor reviews of the hotels, and I just asked our TA for 2 brochures for Azamara and Windstar. We've decided our sweet spot is active, casual, smaller ships with focus on the destination. From talking to fellow travelers these seem like some good choices.

JazzBeaus advice is sticking with me and we were thinking of taking that Panama Canal cruise. But I'm going to cancel our booked Jewel OS 2015 Panama Canal because our daughter will be having her 1st parents weekend (and we don't want to miss that) and because I wasn't loving the 7 sea days from LA. These above ships offer early 2016 itineraries that work with our dates, but I think they work with our cruising style even better! Jazz, I think there is something to what you said..putting the PC cruise on our list sooner rather than later! Choosing a better cruiseline and itinerary may make it work for us:D

If any of you have cruised either of these lines and want to weigh in...you know I love opinions!

Thank you for such a detailed review of an itinerary that would not have occurred to me. It has taken me a while to read and digest and I can imagine how much effort you put into this for our benefit.

Your DH was a very busy man with his camera so my thanks to him too for capturing so many great shots to help you tell your remarkable story.

I see you are considering Azamara (and Windstar) for a future cruise- I was recently on an R-class ship (Ocean Princess) and spend some time on the Azamara Board on CC and I would welcome the opportunity to experience the overnight port stops that are part of the Azamara appeal. A vote for Azamara from me. Whichever you decide upon I look forward to your review.

Thanks for taking me along on your journey without leaving my armchair!

Norris

Thank you for such a detailed review of an itinerary that would not have occurred to me. It has taken me a while to read and digest and I can imagine how much effort you put into this for our benefit.

Your DH was a very busy man with his camera so my thanks to him too for capturing so many great shots to help you tell your remarkable story.

I see you are considering Azamara (and Windstar) for a future cruise- I was recently on an R-class ship (Ocean Princess) and spend some time on the Azamara Board on CC and I would welcome the opportunity to experience the overnight port stops that are part of the Azamara appeal. A vote for Azamara from me. Whichever you decide upon I look forward to your review.

Thanks for taking me along on your journey without leaving my armchair!

Norris

B

Thanks Norris! That's very kind! Yes, hubby loves his camera. I think for him, he's such a hyper guy, in that his mind is always going, that having something to think about all the time is great for him. He really enjoys the process and of course, I enjoy the results! :D

We did select the Azmara cruise! Others who followed this review would be happy to know we DID chose a Panama Canal trip (earlier I had questioned how interesting it could be after our lower Danube River locks, but was told but several regulars here that it's really pretty neat)

We decided against the Windstar for this itinerary in 2016 because it's on a newly acquired ship- that's not a sailing ship. Reviews say those ships are a little small up on deck (where you want to be for a locks cruise) and it was quite a bit more money than Azamara. If I do Windstar one day (which I hope to!) Id really like to do one with sails!

The Azamara trip we picked has one overnight in Costa Rica (a part of CR where we haven't been yet!) and two late nights in Cartegna and Panama City. This river cruise made me realize how much we enjoyed the late nights, even those theses ports were pretty sleepy little towns, we did enjoy going back into the town at night after dinner to enjoy some shopping or a cafe! I expect Cartegna and PC will have lots more action! ;)

B

Thanks Norris! That's very kind! Yes, hubby loves his camera. I think for him, he's such a hyper guy, in that his mind is always going, that having something to think about all the time is great for him. He really enjoys the process and of course, I enjoy the results! :D

We did select the Azmara cruise! Others who followed this review would be happy to know we DID chose a Panama Canal trip (earlier I had questioned how interesting it could be after our lower Danube River locks, but was told but several regulars here that it's really pretty neat)

We decided against the Windstar for this itinerary in 2016 because it's on a newly acquired ship- that's not a sailing ship. Reviews say those ships are a little small up on deck (where you want to be for a locks cruise) and it was quite a bit more money than Azamara. If I do Windstar one day (which I hope to!) Id really like to do one with sails!

The Azamara trip we picked has one overnight in Costa Rica (a part of CR where we haven't been yet!) and two late nights in Cartegna and Panama City. This river cruise made me realize how much we enjoyed the late nights, even those theses ports were pretty sleepy little towns, we did enjoy going back into the town at night after dinner to enjoy some shopping or a cafe! I expect Cartegna and PC will have lots more action! ;)

Good choice re Azamara

15662149032_09380b5314_c.jpg[/url]

Seen at Sorrento on September 25 from sister ship Ocean Princess

vs Windstar

15842788739_3d5ab1c87c_c.jpg 15842788739_3d5ab1c87c_b.jpg

I am a very happy Princess cruiser but they are selling their small ships (R class which is what the 2 Az ships are) and building big ships (Royal and Regal) which are poorly designed in my opinion (shared by many Princess Board members).

I was just on an R ship in September and loved the 680 passenger count and the more stylish old-world furnishings (classic English country club).

The thing that appeals to me greatly is being able to stay overnight or until late in ports and this would apply to river cruising when I eventually take the plunge (no pun intended even though it would be a good one)

It doesn't have to be a cosmopolitan city for the late night /overnight-the sleepy little towns you mention are fine by me:when I stay in a castle on the Rhine in Oberwesel on a land trip I drive to a little sleepy town called Bacharach for dinner.

There's just something magical (no other word) to walking darkened streets with no tourist traffic, talking in the warm still night air and seeing the amber glow from the windows of a cosy restaurant up ahead and taking a seat outside for a good German dinner-simple ingredients, fresh from the market and cooked well.

It would be nice to sit and relax with newly-met friends at the next table, have drinks and not have to look at my watch and let the evening wear on until I could stand no more pleasure!

Then back to a ship/boat/hotel for a good night's sleep!

I'm used to leaving ports as the sun sets and the lights come on onshore...used to it but not 100% happy with it!

First world problem, I know.

Your review of Azamara will be worth waiting for.

Norris

Thank you Norris! I look forward to writing it! I may have a couple before then;) We are scheduled on an ocean cruise in April (southern caribbean) and just now I'm exploring traveling with our girls (18 and 20) on a special trip to Cuba to explore Jazz and Art- things they are both very interested in. (Our oldest is a design major, and our youngest was suppossed to go in Feb, but the travel co for her HS did not secure the licenses, so it was canceled) Because of the recent "announcement" we are moving Cuba waaaay up in our travel list, a destination expert told us she expects all those old cars to be gone as soon as allowed- US collectors are salivating for them, and her Cuban friends can't wait to get rid of them; they are so sick of them! :D Now seems imperitve, vs waiting till all those big Caribbean Cruise ships start porting there :(

Still recovering from let down/jet lag so reading this review was a great way to help ease my way back into our real lives and stave off the let down that often follows a great trip.....I then wandered to your Blog..thanks so much you have a wonderful gift....and your husband's photos are great...

I would like to offer a suggestion to add to your list....CHANGE yes a great reason to travel....if you have any interest.....Myanmar will be changing quickly......go now.....the Irrawaddy is magical, the scenery mystical, pagodas, temples stupas abound and are a photographer's delight.........the people so friendly that I think we will do an entire photo book on the faces of Myanmar! the trip changed me much like animals of Tanzania did.

Still recovering from let down/jet lag so reading this review was a great way to help ease my way back into our real lives and stave off the let down that often follows a great trip.....I then wandered to your Blog..thanks so much you have a wonderful gift....and your husband's photos are great...

I would like to offer a suggestion to add to your list....CHANGE yes a great reason to travel....if you have any interest.....Myanmar will be changing quickly......go now.....the Irrawaddy is magical, the scenery mystical, pagodas, temples stupas abound and are a photographer's delight.........the people so friendly that I think we will do an entire photo book on the faces of Myanmar! the trip changed me much like animals of Tanzania did.

I agree. The so many faces of the people. If you do a book I would love to view it.

I am also really jet lagged.

Thanks for the excellent review of your cruise. The pictures and and narrative are wonderful. We are doing Avalon Bucharest to Amsterdam in April 2015 and finding descriptions of cruises between Bucharest and Budapest is tough. We previous saw Istanbul on a Med cruise so have opted out of the extra travel on the river cruise.

Also appreciate the other contributors!

Thanks, Julia

Thank you for your kind comments about the blog and the photos! We have a little free time this week, and our plan is fill out our website with a bit more structure and my goal is to add some content every week! I've got lots of hubby's photos from past trips that would be interesting, and Id like to create more of a dialouge (like these boards, but with more freedom, it's wonderful to exchange ideas!)

My TA has been saying Mynmar too, ;) guess I should be listening! But hubby just took a new job and we had to put off trips longer than 2 weeks for now, and if we are to fly to Asia, I want at least 3 weeks! But it's also on the list!

I agree. The so many faces of the people. If you do a book I would love to view it.

I am also really jet lagged.

Did you both do the river cruise? Which line? It seems like an appealing way to see that part of the world! Hope you all get over your jet lag soon! And I'll be looking for your reviews, and reports!TAs :D

Thanks for the excellent review of your cruise. The pictures and and narrative are wonderful. We are doing Avalon Bucharest to Amsterdam in April 2015 and finding descriptions of cruises between Bucharest and Budapest is tough. We previous saw Istanbul on a Med cruise so have opted out of the extra travel on the river cruise.

Also appreciate the other contributors!

Thanks, Julia

Thank you Julia! I agree, we found only a few folks (many of whom participated in this thread :D) who had reported on this itinerary. It's obviously not the most "scenic" part of your very long cruise (lucky to do the whole Danube all at once!) but I found it very compelling, and was very glad we went!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

• 1 month later...

I just stumbled upon this amazing review. Like the others you've done, this was fantastic! I think your husband outdid himself with such beautiful photos. I love all the details you put in the writing as well. I always learn many things from your travels. Thanks for making such great contributions to help those cruising and to those, like me, that travel vicariously through others.

I just stumbled upon this amazing review. Like the others you've done, this was fantastic! I think your husband outdid himself with such beautiful photos. I love all the details you put in the writing as well. I always learn many things from your travels. Thanks for making such great contributions to help those cruising and to those, like me, that travel vicariously through others.

Happy,

How nice to hear from you again! Thanks you! I do think hubby gets better every year, and the poor thing, or should hear me dictating all day, "oh, take this, take that! " :rolleyes: I try to confine it to just ship and trip details and leave him be during the scenic touring parts of our trip!;)

I know some on our trip thought he was crazy to spend so much time taking photos, but that's what he LOVES to do, it's his way of interacting with the destination. Others may prefer dining, or walking all over- or in your case- armchair travel!

Please check out our website, we are adding more all the time, and my winter project is to start adding trip reports for past trips that I took before I started posting on user content sites. Also, we have up coming trips back to the Southern Caribbean in April, to Cuba in June, and to Panama Canal, South and Central America to live blog and write about over the next year...hope to have you "join us"!

Istanbul (private tour with Meli Tours)

Our TA set up private touring with Meli Tours in Istanbul. This was the perfect choice for us, we were able to go at the pace we preferred and we worked with Meli through our TA, to put together the itinerary we wanted. For instance, not being shoppers, we preferred just a short stop for photos at the Grand Bazaar rather than a 1/2 day shopping (which you could EASILY do!). I also had seen a painting at the Boston MFA that piqued my interest in the "Orientalism" school of the mid 19th century and wanted to visit the Pera museum...which is not usually on everyone's "must do lists". Also, we had requests for early meetings and late afternoon photo sessions. In addition to seeing the high points, we got off the beaten path and I felt our Meli guide was more honest about what were seeing than the provided AMA tour guides in Istanbul. It may have been a difference in personalities, it's hard to know, but we had a far richer experience with the our Meli Guide, Mete. We had the most amazing 2 days touring with Meli Tours in Istanbul. I highly, highly recommend them!

http://www.melitour.com/

If you'd like to read more about my reasons for choosing private or small group tours, see my blog post:

http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog/2014/10/16/why-bother-with-a-local-guide

We met Mete in the lobby at 9 AM (say that 5 times fast!)

157756455.jpg

Just found your amazing review while researching river cruises, and lo and behold your private guide with Melitours in Istanbul, Mete, was our private tour guide in Ephesus a week or so before your tour. We were on a Celebrity Med cruise to Italy, Greece and Turkey mid to late Sept 2014. Mete was an awesome guide!

Just found your amazing review while researching river cruises, and lo and behold your private guide with Melitours in Istanbul, Mete, was our private tour guide in Ephesus a week or so before your tour. We were on a Celebrity Med cruise to Italy, Greece and Turkey mid to late Sept 2014. Mete was an awesome guide!

Small world!! He told us about your tour...said we must get to Ephesus! He explained that he was on the road for several weeks working away from home and covering a bit for Meli who had an orthopedic issue. They sure do a lot of walking, so I can understand that! He was terrific and that was made even more clear when we toured the same locale with another guide later. He was a wonderful, positive and honest ambassador for his country!

We also learned a cousin of mine was in Istanbul on a cruise ship, the very same day we were ...could not believe it till I saw her photos dated. It is a very small world indeed!

Thank you for reading, if you did a report, I'd love to hear about your trip!!!

Edited by Familygoboston

Small world!! He told us about your tour...said we must get to Ephesus! He explained that he was on the road for several weeks working away from home and covering a bit for Meli who had an orthopedic issue. They sure do a lot of walking, so I can understand that! He was terrific and that was made even more clear when we toured the same locale with another guide later. He was a wonderful, positive and honest ambassador for his country!

We also learned a cousin of mine was in Istanbul on a cruise ship, the very same day we were ...could not believe it till I saw her photos dated. It is a very small world indeed!

Thank you for reading, if you did a report, I'd love to hear about your trip!!!

Wow, what a coincidence that your cousin was in Istanbul the same day! No, I didn't do a review. But I love reading everyone else's reviews. I didn't participate on roll call until this last cruise, and I am just now finding and enjoying all of the reviews on places we have been and that we plan/hope to visit. My daughter and I are going to Turkey next month on a land tour. My husband thinks we are crazy, because even though we felt safe there in September, things seem to be changing rapidly.

Wow, what a coincidence that your cousin was in Istanbul the same day! No, I didn't do a review. But I love reading everyone else's reviews. I didn't participate on roll call until this last cruise, and I am just now finding and enjoying all of the reviews on places we have been and that we plan/hope to visit. My daughter and I are going to Turkey next month on a land tour. My husband thinks we are crazy, because even though we felt safe there in September, things seem to be changing rapidly.

Have you signed up for the state department alerts? I found them helpful. They were pretty specific about the region and the concern (violence, demonstrations etc) I also liked that I had a list right in the email with the local embassy numbers and addresses.

This cousin I haven't seen in years, but we are FB friends, so it was quite surprising to see she was visiting the same sites I was on the same day- of course in Istnabul there was little chance of bumping into someone, the place is so huge and crowded! ;)

Have you signed up for the state department alerts? I found them helpful. They were pretty specific about the region and the concern (violence, demonstrations etc) I also liked that I had a list right in the email with the local embassy numbers and addresses.

This cousin I haven't seen in years, but we are FB friends, so it was quite surprising to see she was visiting the same sites I was on the same day- of course in Istnabul there was little chance of bumping into someone, the place is so huge and crowded! ;)

I did sign up for the state department alerts for our cruise in Sept and for this trip. I agree, they are very helpful.

The weird thing is of all places to be on the same day, in exotic Istanbul. We loved Istanbul, it is so beautiful, but it is definitely huge and crowded, and half of the people seem to be tourists. The Grand Bazaar was definitely overwhelming. We liked the Spice Market much better.

Kudos on the great review and to your husband for the awesome pictures. I especially liked the ones taken under the guise of romance!

• 3 weeks later...

Having recently joined CC I found your reviews when you posted in response to a review by KazLoudspeaker on the Azamara board. Having now read all of your reviews I felt I must post for the very first time to at the very least say thank you and congratulations on all of your very witty and informative reviews. Accompanied by your husband's photos they have kept me entertained nightly for the past week. My husband keeps asking "what are you laughing" about. I am now about to acquaint myself with your blog and will wait patiently for your next review.

Having recently joined CC I found your reviews when you posted in response to a review by KazLoudspeaker on the Azamara board. Having now read all of your reviews I felt I must post for the very first time to at the very least say thank you and congratulations on all of your very witty and informative reviews. Accompanied by your husband's photos they have kept me entertained nightly for the past week. My husband keeps asking "what are you laughing" about. I am now about to acquaint myself with your blog and will wait patiently for your next review.

Oh thank you thank you, Nan! Now you've gone and done it...you are just encouraging me to write more! ;) I love hearing that people were either entertained or informed by my reviews! It's why I do them, so thank you for reaching out! I appreciate you checking out the blog too - I try to put something new on it every week (my weeks seem to be about 14 days long:p) If you like the funny stuff, look under "places" Someday We Will Laugh where I am consolidating some of my attempts at humorous posts! If you "like" our Facebook page, I always post a link there when a new trip report or blog post goes up! I love reading reviews and now I'm loving writing them! Next up, a trip to Burlington Vt, and a cruise on Adventure of the Seas, a trip to Cuba- and that's just this spring! :D

Thanks again!