Call for Prices

Suzieanna

I have noticed lately that some companies will only put the price of the inside cabin/no perks and for any further price you have to call them and undergo interrogation about who you are, where you live, how many cruises you have had before?

Whats all this about? I phoned yesterday for a price and straight away the questions started. I said why did she need to know who I was and she quoted "data protection"

Can anyone answer why they cant just give a price? The cynical part of me thinks they want my details so they can chase me as to why I haven't booked yet????

I notice this sometimes too. I have never actually called anyone; in fact, it makes me just move on to another agency.

Just put the prices on the ad! I don't want to call in and possibly get on some 'list' or get the hard sell. To me it reeks of a possible bait and switch technique.

if it is an ad usually the price has changed by the time it goes to print

the low lead in cabins have sold out

not sure why the interrogation unless to see if you have sailed with the same line before and may get loyalty perks

age discounts, military discounts or regional discounts

just guessing

Note that the OP and the next poster are in the UK. Many things are done differently there than in the US, some of it required by law. Since the UK is still working on getting out of the EU, some of this might be a result of EU laws, which is why the majority voted for Brexit! :cool:

Personal details just to be given a price?

The provider will end up with at least your phone number, and that's almost a guarantee you'll get a cold-canvassing phone call within a week - usually when you're on top of a ladder :rolleyes:

Hellfire, if a provider doesn't quote prices (cruising or anything else) then we presume they're embarrassed by their prices so we usually just move on rather than phone or e-mail.

And it really pisses us off when the ad or web-page mentions discounts without quoting the price it's discounted from. :rolleyes:

If making that call is the only way of getting prices rather than using some other source I'll volunteer no information at all, especially my address or e-mail address. And I'll block access to my phone number by dialling 141 (UK only) before making the call

On a recent roadtrip in the States, a lot of restaurants didn't have a menu outside the door. If we have to go in and ask for a menu we just might like what we see. But if we want to check out other restaurants first there's no way we'd go back after having perused the menu, thanked them for their trouble, and walked off.

Ditto cocktail lists that aren't priced. I'm not going to ask the prices before choosing because that suggests I'm a tightwad, so it's a priced drink or just table water.

Ditto also various attractions & places of interest whose entry prices aren't on the web and can only be seen at the ticket booth.

Whether it's a cruise website that doesn't quote prices, or restaurants that don't have menus outside, or anything else where prices aren't readily available, I'm immediately suspicious - and that's no way to start off.

All very counter-productive

JB :)

Personal details just to be given a price?

The provider will end up with at least your phone number, and that's almost a guarantee you'll get a cold-canvassing phone call within a week - usually when you're on top of a ladder :rolleyes:

Hellfire, if a provider doesn't quote prices (cruising or anything else) then we presume they're embarrassed by their prices so we usually just move on rather than phone or e-mail.

And it really pisses us off when the ad or web-page mentions discounts without quoting the price it's discounted from. :rolleyes:

If making that call is the only way of getting prices rather than using some other source I'll volunteer no information at all, especially my address or e-mail address. And I'll block access to my phone number by dialling 141 (UK only) before making the call

On a recent roadtrip in the States, a lot of restaurants didn't have a menu outside the door. If we have to go in and ask for a menu we just might like what we see. But if we want to check out other restaurants first there's no way we'd go back after having perused the menu, thanked them for their trouble, and walked off.

Ditto cocktail lists that aren't priced. I'm not going to ask the prices before choosing because that suggests I'm a tightwad, so it's a priced drink or just table water.

Ditto also various attractions & places of interest whose entry prices aren't on the web and can only be seen at the ticket booth.

Whether it's a cruise website that doesn't quote prices, or restaurants that don't have menus outside, or anything else where prices aren't readily available, I'm immediately suspicious - and that's no way to start off.

All very counter-productive

Have never done a survey, but my "guess" is the majority of restaurants in the US do not post menus outside the restaurant. Most bars do not have a drink menu. We won't get into taxes and tipping!! If you travel I think you should accept the way it's done where you are. That old, when in Rome.....

US restaurants generally don't have the menus outside, unless in very touristy areas, such as Miami Beach or the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX. Most will let you look at a menu if you walk in and ask, but I'd rather not do that.

I do like it when they do post menus outside; helps to make a decision to be able to see the dishes offered and prices.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a drinks menu posted, but since I rarely drink, maybe I just haven't looked.

Sorry to have taken Suzieanna's thread a little off-topic, but yes the proportion of US restaurants which don't have a menu outside the door does seem to vary from place-to-place, though I even came across a couple on San Antonio's RiverWalk (great place)

Mebbe I'm a bit more miffed about it because in the EU a priced menu visible from outside is the law (a tiny proportion seem to ignore the law) so that's what I'm used to. Ditto the cost of any extras, and any added service charge (mainly in tourist areas)

Bar prices - bar menus all seem to price their shorts, beers, wines, but for whatever reason not their cocktails. Makes it difficult to decide whether and which.

Yes, Tillie, we go with the flow.

But that doesn't stop the angst and suspicion about places which give few clues about what they offer, let alone their prices.

And if one wanted to interrogate me about my background or my contact details before letting me see a menu ......... :D