Hi, Im a newbie.

ruby1966

We are a family of 2 adults and two kids 11 and 15.

We are new to cruising but we are looking at an alternative to Florida and a cruise looked like it would provide us with plenty to keep the kids occupiedas we hate sitting by a pool all day.

We are looking at a 12 night med cruise on adventure of the seas (haven't booked yet).

We all really want to give it a try but are really worried about sea sickness as we will be crossing the bay of Biscay. I am sick on small vessels and sick on take off and landing on planes.

I would appreciate any thoughts please:)

Most people do not have a problem. There is a huge difference between small vessels and large, modern cruise ships. The cruise ships all have stablizers that reduce the movement. In addition, there are medications you can take if it is a problem.

Generally speaking the bigger the vessel the more stable it is and less likelihood of seasickness. Obviously everybody reacts differently but I can get motion sickness in cars and I've never had a problem on a ship.

Our first cruise I took Bonine the day before and everyday of the cruise as I was worried about getting sick. The second cruise I took them with me but never took any and now we don't even bother.

One other thing to mention is I booked a balcony for our first cruise (and every cruise since, how can you stop?) because, again, I was concerned about getting seasick. I wanted to be able to get some air quickly if I started feeling queasy. Might be something else to think about if you hadn't planned to already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ships Dr will be able to give you an injection to stop sickness if it gets bad - they work really well (according to my husband who gets sick in a rowing boat!)

I always take Phenergan 25mg with me (you know the one the Daily Mail has been talking about all week :eek:) the chemist will ask what it's for, I reply 'adult seasickness' and buy a pack of 56 tabs cost about £6 or £7. Take a dose and lay down for 30 mins and feel much better. The next morning I give everyone a dose with a cup before they get out of bed.:rolleyes: Usually they only need they for 24/36 hours and then they stop complaining :)

Newer ships generally also have better stabilization systems. On all ships though there is less roll and pitch in mid-ship cabins on lower decks so you may want to consider that when selecting a cabin.

DW is very susceptible to sea sickness. For her when it happens no balcony visits and curtains closed so no view of tilting horizon. Fresh air helped a lot but not offsetting the view. Remaining prone was necessary. The cabin was a welcome sanctuary; for a couple of days. She now is more proactive in the meds department but has not stopped cruising.

The key with most sea sickness meds is they take time to take effect and should be taken well before. An excursion coach bus trip through mountain passes or rough seas ahead? A little pill an hour before does the trick.

She hesitates because some meds make her very drowsy, others don't so it depends on what she has at the time. Some folks use 'sea bands', eat ginger, green apples, wear a medicated patch, etc. Lots of possible solutions so hopefully it won't stop you from going on a cruise.

You bring up a large topic, and some background information will really help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for "low and in the middle," that old saying has become more complicated. As newer ships have larger and larger superstructures, you can now actually get too low. It used to be that a cabin on the main deck was about right, but that "correct location" has now moved higher. How high exactly depends on the details of the design of the ship. The point was to be near the center of motion, but determining where that is is pretty complicated. If you do stay towards the middle -- measuring from bow to stern -- which is known as "amidships," the pitching motion (bow and stern going up and down) will be minimized. Regardless of stabilizers, rolling motion (side-to-side) is most common and though reduced, it is still there. To avoid this, you would want to be in the middle measuring from side-to-side, and this violates the "be able to see the horizon" rule which is more important.

You mentioned getting seasick in small boats, but cruise ships are very different. Though they do move in the seas, the motion is slower and more gentle than a small boat. Small boats experience a much more jerky and more extreme (relatively) motion, and can be hard for many people to take.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps, or drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot). This is a natural remedy obviously, but clinically proven to work. Start taking or eating it about when you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system.

Some people swear by the seabands which put accupressure on your wrists, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere (the OP is in the UK, and I do not know what they call the equivalent preparations). They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects as mentioned and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. If you don't get motion sick in most other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. As for your getting motion sick on takeoff and landings on a plane, my offhand, unprofessional, I-don't-know-you-at-all, guess would be that this is more mental than anything else -- or you are sitting where you cannot see the motion but are feeling it. As I have said, the motion on a cruise ship tends to be slower. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine, and the initial prevention suggestions should be enough by themselves.

I don't know whether you've counted ferries eg across the Channel in your seasickness fears; they're different to cruise ships, being flat bottomed, so do pitch and roll more.

The BOB is notorious for rough weather, but I've crossed many times and seen few people ill; my OH does feel queasy if it's really rough, and the waves are hitting the side of the ship; he listens to the captain's forecast and takes a pill in preparation.

Try Stugeron, which is sold in Boots or any other chemist.....the ship will usually have similar pills at reception.

AOS is a very big ship, and should ride any stormy weather with ease.- enjoy!:)

I am prone to some sea sickness - mostly queasy in my stomach - not too too bad. I use the Sea Bands. I put them on when i arrive at the ship and keep them on the whole time we are crusing (i might take them off to shower but it depends if we are a) at a port; b) moving in rough or calm seas).

I like the sea bands because they are not a medication, don't make me drowsy and I can drink and enjoy my cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going on the Fantasy June 14th it will be our first cruise. My mom and aunt says (now don't laugh) if you put band aids over your belly button and cover it up good you won't get sea sick .. they swear by it .. I'm going to try it and I'll let you know if it works ..

We're going on the Fantasy June 14th it will be our first cruise. My mom and aunt says (now don't laugh) if you put band aids over your belly button and cover it up good you won't get sea sick .. they swear by it .. I'm going to try it and I'll let you know if it works ..

Okay. Hope it works.

I can get seasick on a cruiser moored up and always on ferries but wanted to cruise the Norwegian fjords. Went to doctor for the best thing and he gave me patches. One lasts three days and needless to say we are off on 4th and 5th cruises soon and three booked for 2014! They really are great. I wouldn't have believed how good they are until using them.

I feel fortunate that I have not experienced motion sickness in years. For some reason, I seem to have just got over it. The large ships are obviously much more stable than smaller craft. But understand that no matter the stabilization or size, there will be a certain amount of movement/rolling in rough seas. I think the previous advice to consult your physician is best. Don't wait until you board to address this as some methods require that you start them prior to the cruise.

Good luck and my you have nothing but smooth sailing.

Thanks for all the replies.:p

I have now booked the adventure of the seas 12 night Med cruise 2 x promenade rooms on deck 8 midship. I couldn't stretch the budget to a balcony room as I needed two rooms.

After your replies I will be armed with seabands, sickness pills and ginger remedies. I asked at the GPs today but they wont prescribe anything other than over the counter remedies anymore. Something to do with budgets since April 1st. I don't think patches are available in the UK.

Since booking the cruise my mum has informed me that even my pram used to give me motion sickness.:(:(

I am determined to enjoy it no matter what. My DD has now given up watching her favourite film (titanic) and I am trying to talk my DS out of taking an inflatable ring.:D

Ruby- honestly, I've been to and fro through the BOB several times, and noticed very, very few ill people, including talking to those who are often car/ roundabout/rollercoaster sick. AotS is a large ship, and will have stabilisers out if there's any rough weather; the captain will announce- probably about Gibraltar- what the future weather will be like, so there's time to pop a pill, and you can always visit the surgery if you feel really, really bad.

The last time we came through the BOB, my OH was feeling ill- BUT he was swimming in the forward pool, which had water swaying about....:eek:...I asked for an extra pill at reception, and the crew member said it was the first request in 5 days, so that shows how rare it is- we were in a ship of 3,200 people!

Don't worry, and have an absolutely fabulous cruise!:)

Archived