sundresses and slips

auntjoy036

I don't wear a slip, but I do wear shorts...not for modesty, but to stop the horror that is CHAFFING!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I hate the chaffing, which is why I tend to not wear dresses or skirts. I just found these items and I think they might stop that chaffing.

Bloomers

Oh My! May I chime in, please [emoji4]. The only things in my clothes closet are sleeveless shift-style dresses (mid-calf length), skirts, and twin sets. I'm clutching my pearls here, Ladies.

Being in Louisiana, it's fairly warm year round. It can get quite steamy occasionally. To protect against chaffing, runners/joggers "lube" is one of the best things around. It doesn't deteriorate rapidly, get sticky or gummy. The tube is small enough to discreetly tuck into a wrist- or makeup bag. Three letter words like *** or *** are not normally in my vocabulary. Four letter works like walk or five letter words like amble are perfectly acceptable. [emoji6]

Another favourite for not-quite-commando-garments is the Nu Bra. It holds rather well and covers all "traffic situations". It also comes in sizes up to E-cup. Hmmm... yes... quite. "E".

It may seem counterintuitive, I've found some great Summer weight outfits, including Sundresses, through different religious and "modest" clothiers. Definitely not frumpy or marmsy and certainly not dowdy. Some of the "retro" and "vintage" clothiers, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some solutions:

1) for flats/shoes where you feel you need a sock to avoid rubbing and for comfort try these: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Clothing-Womens-No-Show-Liner-Socks/zgbs/apparel/2376200011

2) Just got a pair of these for under a couple of my dresses - very soft material and works great to avoid chafing (altho I am also a fan of anti chafing gel when required) - these are very lightweight (unlike some shorts):

http://www.amazon.com/Jockey-Womens-Hosiery-Skimmies-Slipshort/dp/B00PW1AF4S/ref=sr_1_13?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1431141843&sr=1-13&keywords=jockey+underwear+for+women

http://www.amazon.com/Jockey-Hosiery-Skimmies-Wicking-Slipshort/dp/B00I4LLP6A/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt

If chaffing is an issue, try Body Glide. It works on feet as well. I use it when I am going to do a longer run/power walk as the front of my shoulder near my arm pit begins to chafe from my shirt--even though I wear a tech fabric.

I am usually more of a khakis and capris fan, but I am thinking about getting a sundress or two for a fall Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas. The dress I'm looking at now is a crinkled rayon. In a dark print it wouldn't be sheer in most lights, but in bright sunlight I believe the outline of my legs would be visible.

I've read in various places that "no one" wears a slip anymore. Really? Is it acceptable for one's legs to show through the skirt? I was taught that was unthinkable.

I know many of you are sundress fans. What do you do?

Thanks.

Vicki

I'm a slip wearer. If a skirt isn't lined or made of denim I want a slip. Then again, I'm a modest person and would never dream of letting my girls hang out or wearing short shorts. These days modesty is a forgotten term, so I'm sure I'm in the minority.

As I was reading through this thread I couldn't help but remember an iconic image from many moons ago. Anybody else remember this and the headlines it made? :o

article-0-068B704F000005DC-291_468x670.jpg

I've got several maxi dresses for our upcoming Mediterranean trip, and I plan to wear a loose comfortable slip unless I'm absolutely certain they can't be seen through.

There are a lot of body parts everybody has that I really don't want to see, or them to see on me. :D

Edited by Cruisinwithagoodbook

I'm a slip wearer. If a skirt isn't lined or made of denim I want a slip. Then again, I'm a modest person and would never dream of letting my girls hang out or wearing short shorts. These days modesty is a forgotten term, so I'm sure I'm in the minority.

As I was reading through this thread I couldn't help but remember an iconic image from many moons ago. Anybody else remember this and the headlines it made? :o

article-0-068B704F000005DC-291_468x670.jpg

I've got several maxi dresses for our upcoming Mediterranean trip, and I plan to wear a loose comfortable slip unless I'm absolutely certain they can't be seen through.

There are a lot of body parts everybody has that I really don't want to see, or them to see on me. :D

Yet there is a photo of her leaving the gym in yoga capris that show the same silhouette that no one said peep about. Americans are too uptight about the body parts we all have.

Hello "Cruising". There's a Ladylike Movement afoot even the Pilgrim and Puritan Founding Families would approve. [emoji6]

Any garment of lace or gauze, unless lined, is going to provide a striking silhouette. Sometimes accidental [emoji15]. Sometimes for effect [emoji41]. In subtropic sunlight even a sturdy seersucker dress can offer a peep show worthy of any Strip.

On the topic of hosiery, no pantyhose on me please & thank you. For Summer formal occasions I do wear stockings with garter. A lot less heat-trapping especially under dresses with lots of drape and movement.

Maybe because of living in the Deep South for so many decades, I've become accustomed to searching out and finding tropical weight fabrics. I can understand how hard it is when "the hunt" begins for Ladies who've not had the experience.

On the topic of Sundresses, I have one in wool. UmmHmm. You read that right. W-O-O-L. It is so fine and lightweight. Exceptionally breathable and definitely not scratchy or itchy (even when sweating like a sinner at a Revival).

Demure Summer or Tropics wear is available. It may be more expensive than "this season's special" and it probably will outlast the rising humidity, too.

Not my rodeo. Not my bulls.

Yet there is a photo of her leaving the gym in yoga capris that show the same silhouette that no one said peep about. Americans are too uptight about the body parts we all have.

LOL, It's been many years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was the British Tabloids that started the ruckus. Americans aren't any more uptight than other societies, and far less than many in this world. That's why I'm making sure to pack appropriately for places in Europe. I understand they're pretty "uptight" as you put it about how people show knees and shoulders in churches over there, and I don't know of any American churches who require that (although there may be some)... not to mention Muslim societies, but we'd better not go there. :)

There was nothing wrong with that photo, it showed nothing unshowable.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, did I? I'm pretty sure I didn't. I was just posting it because the thread reminded me of that story... but I will say that the thing that made it something to talk about is that seeing through a dress gives the impression of seeing something not intended to show.. It makes you feel like you've intruded on the person's privacy, kwim? Kind of like overhearing a conversation or something... plus, it was not too many years ago a "lady" kept her private things private, and showing what's under a dress was just not done. I think the tabloids pointed out that the Queen would *never*!! Shudder. I loled at that when I was a teenager, but I do get what they're saying (as far as dignity) now that I'm an adult.

Hello "Cruising". There's a Ladylike Movement afoot even the Pilgrim and Puritan Founding Families would approve. [emoji6]

Any garment of lace or gauze, unless lined, is going to provide a striking silhouette. Sometimes accidental [emoji15]. Sometimes for effect [emoji41]. In subtropic sunlight even a sturdy seersucker dress can offer a peep show worthy of any Strip.

On the topic of hosiery, no pantyhose on me please & thank you. For Summer formal occasions I do wear stockings with garter. A lot less heat-trapping especially under dresses with lots of drape and movement.

Maybe because of living in the Deep South for so many decades, I've become accustomed to searching out and finding tropical weight fabrics. I can understand how hard it is when "the hunt" begins for Ladies who've not had the experience.

On the topic of Sundresses, I have one in wool. UmmHmm. You read that right. W-O-O-L. It is so fine and lightweight. Exceptionally breathable and definitely not scratchy or itchy (even when sweating like a sinner at a Revival).

Demure Summer or Tropics wear is available. It may be more expensive than "this season's special" and it probably will outlast the rising humidity, too.

Hi, Telynau, I'm in Texas, so it's hot and humid here, so I'm used to searching for cool clothes...although I don't tend to wear dresses that much. I have become pretty good and finding modest clothing and making necessary adjustments (usually by adjusting the neckline a bit) to things to make them work for me. I don't wear hose, nor do I wear necklines up to the collarbone or anything that radical, but I don't like feeling like you get a view when I bend over either.

Speaking of that, I got a little show at Wal-Mart the other day. I was walking down an aisle and there was a teenage girl squatting down looking at something on a bottom row. As I walked by I happened to glance down and low and got the view of her thong-divided-crack clear down to the dark... :eek: Her jeans were a bit low and her shirt definitely not long enough to cover... but we all have butt cracks and I guess the plumber look is finally in style. :rolleyes: ;)

I just walked on while trying not to look again to see if she felt a draft as I went by. :p

Hi "Cruising". [emoji23] Plumbers Crack! Oh how unladylike of me to laugh [emoji41]. Some of the "floor shows" are so unintentional and so hilarious just the same. I'm wicked enough to imagine a booming voice store wide: "Attention Shoppers! Avert eyes in aisle 123. Avert eyes in aisle 123. Thank you."

I _still_ have problems finding tops to cover the collarbones; which I do solely to prevent another nasty sunburn. Years ago I made the mistake of wearing a lower cut blouse [emoji17] and looked like a molting snake for quite awhile. Sleeveless turtlenecks and I have become very good friends.

Traveling to Med Countries is a lot of fun. Learned more history "live" talking with different people than ever thought possible. Tip: If your itinerary includes Greece, the Orthodox Church also requires shoulders and knees covered (same as Stateside). You already know about the Roman Catholic Church and its policies.

For all of the beautiful Ladies in this thread, I applaud you for being comfortable in your skin. It takes a lot of soul searching to get there. It also takes a lot of soul searching to decide just how much of your skin you want The World to see. I err on the side of The Mystery [emoji6]: Ye Olde Feminine Mystique...

Even a Sundress can leave a lot to the observer's imagination... Does she or doesn't she wear matching canary yellow bra & panties and slip with it?

Hi "Cruising". [emoji23] Plumbers Crack! Oh how unladylike of me to laugh [emoji41]. Some of the "floor shows" are so unintentional and so hilarious just the same. I'm wicked enough to imagine a booming voice store wide: "Attention Shoppers! Avert eyes in aisle 123. Avert eyes in aisle 123. Thank you."
okay, I'll admit it. I waited till out of ear shot and snickered at the visible butt crack (which I know we all have). It's just funny to see parts that are normally covered. I guess if she had been in a bikini at the pool I would have been expecting it... But then again I tend to avoid the pool for just that reason lol.

I _still_ have problems finding tops to cover the collarbones; which I do solely to prevent another nasty sunburn. Years ago I made the mistake of wearing a lower cut blouse [emoji17] and looked like a molting snake for quite awhile. Sleeveless turtlenecks and I have become very good friends.
I can understand that, but I'm a bit the opposite about my neck area. I had a tumor removed from my neck a few years ago, so I don't like a collar touching that area. I just want my girls good and covered. Some things are for dh's eyes only, kwim? :)

Traveling to Med Countries is a lot of fun. Learned more history "live" talking with different people than ever thought possible. Tip: If your itinerary includes Greece, the Orthodox Church also requires shoulders and knees covered (same as Stateside). You already know about the Roman Catholic Church and its policies.
yes, we are going to Greece, so thank you for the heads up. I'll be sure to have my light weight sweater with me, especially if I'm sleeveless.

For all of the beautiful Ladies in this thread, I applaud you for being comfortable in your skin. It takes a lot of soul searching to get there. It also takes a lot of soul searching to decide just how much of your skin you want The World to see. I err on the side of The Mystery [emoji6]: Ye Olde Feminine Mystique...

Even a Sundress can leave a lot to the observer's imagination... Does she or doesn't she wear matching canary yellow bra & panties and slip with it?

LOL. One of the many mysteries I don't have a need to know. :D

LOL, It's been many years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was the British Tabloids that started the ruckus. Americans aren't any more uptight than other societies, and far less than many in this world. That's why I'm making sure to pack appropriately for places in Europe. I understand they're pretty "uptight" as you put it about how people show knees and shoulders in churches over there, and I don't know of any American churches who require that (although there may be some)... not to mention Muslim societies, but we'd better not go there. :)

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, did I? I'm pretty sure I didn't. I was just posting it because the thread reminded me of that story... but I will say that the thing that made it something to talk about is that seeing through a dress gives the impression of seeing something not intended to show.. It makes you feel like you've intruded on the person's privacy, kwim? Kind of like overhearing a conversation or something... plus, it was not too many years ago a "lady" kept her private things private, and showing what's under a dress was just not done. I think the tabloids pointed out that the Queen would *never*!! Shudder. I loled at that when I was a teenager, but I do get what they're saying (as far as dignity) now that I'm an adult.

No worries, you didn't. I was referring to all the ruckus that occurred at the time.

Originally Posted by Telynau viewpost.gif

Hi "Cruising". emoji23.png Plumbers Crack! Oh how unladylike of me to laugh emoji41.png. Some of the "floor shows" are so unintentional and so hilarious just the same. I'm wicked enough to imagine a booming voice store wide: "Attention Shoppers! Avert eyes in aisle 123. Avert eyes in aisle 123. Thank you."

Ha ha - this reminded me of a story from my daughter who worked at Trader Joe's. The staff has to bend over a lot and be aware of this. The phrase was "crack kills". The in-house joke.

a silk slip without lace (that can be itchy) is light and cool and virtually eliminates panty lines on snugger styles. I would poke out my own eyes with melon ballers before I would wear a thong. Don't mind if others like them, but I find them irritating, preferring organic cotton bikini briefs. Born and raised in hot and muggy Florida and have been known to go commando with long skirts.

Not crazy about pantyhose but do wear them occasionally for dressier dresses. My problem is finding sheer, nude hose that don't bag on my petite, thin legs. Any suggestions? I am 5' 2" and 105 pounds.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I have never figured out why 'knees and shoulders' are considered too racy to be uncovered, but of course I do comply when necessary.

The see-through dress of Diana's was quite the uproar at the time. While I don't think it shows anything too much--we all have legs, after all--it isn't really an attractive look.

I saw someone with a similar dress just recently at the rest home while visiting my mom. The see-through effect was definitely noticeable and hard not to look at. She was 50-to 60 and I think an employee. It's not a look I want to do.

I guess I'm strange, but I am much hotter with slips, silk especially. Haven't worn panty hose in years and would only if it was a place or occasion where bare legs would be inappropriate.

Nebr.cruiser, everything between "knees & shoulders" is considered "personal space" [emoji41]. It is not for public consumption. Even Lady Godiva draped her hair over her shoulders and across her knees [emoji6].

Bookish Angel, the only pantyhose I've found to fit with no baggy knees & ankles is L'eggs-brand. I'm the same height and about two pounds heavier... with very short legs. That's why ultimately I switched to stockings. Frederick's of HW sheer nude hose, both garter top and regular are my favourite.

Paulni, is THAT why Trader Joe's employees ring the ship's bell with great gusto?!? LoL. Always wondered.

I have never figured out why 'knees and shoulders' are considered too racy to be uncovered, but of course I do comply when necessary.

On January 12, 1930, the Sacred Congregation of the Council, by mandate of Pope Pius XI, issued emphatic instructions on modesty of dress to all bishops, directing them to insist on these prescriptions: "We recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knee. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper."

I forgot to add...on the subject of chaffing. I admit to dealing with this issue. Oh well. Gold Bond makes an anti-chaffing stick that is like the Body Glide product. I bought some on a somewhat emergency basis while on vacation last spring break when we forgot to pack the Body Glide. Found the Gold Bond product in Walgreens...it seemed cheaper than Body Glide and worked just as well...having used both.

I also prefer to have some sort of shorts slip under skirts if possible because I find that it is actually cooler in humid climates to not have any skin on skin action. I just tried out a new Jockey product that calls itself a slipshort...I liked it a lot.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1787401/jockey-skimmies-wicking-seamless-slipshort-2100-womens.jsp?pfm=rrrecs-pdp-gtab1

Edited by Anita Latte

On January 12, 1930, the Sacred Congregation of the Council, by mandate of Pope Pius XI, issued emphatic instructions on modesty of dress to all bishops, directing them to insist on these prescriptions: "We recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knee. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper."

I forgot to add...on the subject of chaffing. I admit to dealing with this issue. Oh well. Gold Bond makes an anti-chaffing stick that is like the Body Glide product. I bought some on a somewhat emergency basis while on vacation last spring break when we forgot to pack the Body Glide. Found the Gold Bond product in Walgreens...it seemed cheaper than Body Glide and worked just as well...having used both.

I also prefer to have some sort of shorts slip under skirts if possible because I find that it is actually cooler in humid climates to not have any skin on skin action. I just tried out a new Jockey product that calls itself a slipshort...I liked it a lot.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1787401/jockey-skimmies-wicking-seamless-slipshort-2100-womens.jsp?pfm=rrrecs-pdp-gtab1

Of course I am aware of church edicts and mores, I just personally think it goes a little too far. I always wear what's appropriate when visiting religious sites, but I still think it's just plain silly. I do believe in modesty, but don't find someone's shoulders or knees immodest. That's just my opinion. I realize it can be a slippery path, though.

Our contemporary-style (not Catholic) church sees many types of casual clothing, including shorts and tanks; nobody dresses inappropriately, just kind of normal summer wear here in America, which I realize would be scandalous in some parts of the world.

I would never dream of dressing like that in a more conservative culture, of course.

Of course I am aware of church edicts and mores, I just personally think it goes a little too far. I always wear what's appropriate when visiting religious sites, but I still think it's just plain silly. I do believe in modesty, but don't find someone's shoulders or knees immodest. That's just my opinion. I realize it can be a slippery path, though.

Our contemporary-style (not Catholic) church sees many types of casual clothing, including shorts and tanks; nobody dresses inappropriately, just kind of normal summer wear here in America, which I realize would be scandalous in some parts of the world.

I would never dream of dressing like that in a more conservative culture, of course.

I don't know so much that it is that shoulders are immodest as the possibility of an ill fitting shirt that shows shoulders also showing glimpses of bras or more. I know that I often see undergarments when the arm pit is cut deep...or straps show when the tank top is a racer back vs. a normal bra strap, etc. I think this is the origin of why showing shoulders is immodest...it isn't so much that the shoulders themselves as the potential consequences of garments that expose shoulders.

I go back and forth on the whole issue honestly...having lived in hot climates for most of my adult life...and being something of a sleeve hater (hate the restrictive feeling)...I tend to live in tank tops. However, being a Mom of a teenager...I do find that I tend to cover up a bit when I know I'll be around the my son and his friends...

That reaction makes me wonder...KWIM?

The knee thing is interesting. I guess there is a historical correlation to the length of women's skirts and the availability of the woman for intimate encounters...with shorter skirts being more associated with more available women, specifically slaves and others that have no choice in the matter and/or "loose women." I guess easy access? This association was said to have changed with the advent of birth control...

I really don't have too much opinion on the matter...I just find the discussion and the history of it all really interesting.

Edited by Anita Latte

• 4 weeks later...

Omg! Runners Lube! Of course....

I usually wear my skimmies under a skirt or dress...that whole "chub rub" is the pits! Haha....I'm going shopping for runners lube! Thx for the tip

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app