Hotel in Dam Square to museums?

We will be staying at one of the hotels on or very near Dam Square in May. Are the museums walkable from there or must we take a train or tram, please? I understand our ship docks at the area behind the Doubletree hotel. What would a taxi cost to a hotel on the square?

Amsterdam is very compact with excellent public transport. Nothing is realy far apart. You can check google maps and see where the cruise terminal, Dam, Museums etc. are located.

• 2 weeks later...
Amsterdam is very compact with excellent public transport. Nothing is realy far apart. You can check google maps and see where the cruise terminal, Dam, Museums etc. are located.

I bought the museum card for Amsterdam and it includes the round trip ticket from Airport to Amsterdam and back. I am staying in Amsterdam for 3 days and my hotel is near the Amstel station.

My question is, is it worth buying the all in one Amsterdam Travel ticket which covers 3 days of unlimited use of the trams and round trip to airport.

I already have the round trip covered all I need is the ride around Amsterdam and from hotel near Amstel station to Amsterdam.

Somebody told me its cheaper to buy the 2.50 one way train since Amsterdam is walkable that I don't need to use the train that much. 3 days is 26.00 Euro unlimited