Odd Question About Ship Announcements

RickEsGirl

Here's one I bet nobody has asked before....

DH and I took our first cruise on the Legend in April. We LOVED it, and we've booked the Glory for next year. We noticed that the first-day announcements (lifeboat drill, etc.) came over the speaker in our cabin. Whenever an announcement was made on the intercom, our TV was automatically put on mute until the announcement concluded.

For the rest of the week, however, we couldn't hear any announcements in our cabin - just in the hallways or common areas. Even though we couldn't hear anything on the intercom, our TV would still go to mute, which was how we knew an announcement was being made and was our cue to run to the hallway to hear what they were saying.

Did we inadvertently turn off the sound in our cabin somehow, or is it supposed to work this way?

Sorry for such a dumb question! :o

On our last Conquest cruise in June, we were rudely awakened on 2 or 3 nights with 2 or more announcements that they were looking for a certain guest. That was the first time in 6 cruises that I've ever had that happen, and I hope it doesn't happen again! (No, they didn't fall overboard. They were just "misplaced on the ship".) :mad:

The person making the announcement can choose whether just to send it to common areas of the ship (lido, decks, hallways) or into your cabins if it's an emergency type situation or something else serious is happening (immigration etc.)

And yes, sometimes they hit the wrong button :p

That's weird about your TV though, maybe there was a bug or something?

The person making the announcement can choose whether just to send it to common areas of the ship (lido decks, hallways) or into your cabins if it's an emergency type situation or something else serious is happening (immigration etc.)

And yes, sometimes they hit the wrong button :p

That's weird about your TV though, maybe there was a bug or something?

Thanks - I was wondering, and it would totally be like us to do something stupid and unknowingly turn off our cabin's sound :D It was nice to have the TV automatically mute; if we were awake we knew to go listen to whatever was being said.

The question has been asked before. They will mute the TV, and have the info over stateroom intercoms. This is for info that must be relayed to guests.

As for regular activity announcments, they're done over the hallway speakers and up on deck. As for myself, I kinda like to have the chance to hear them in my stateroom. They should have some type of dial, which you can adjust the loudness. Hate to miss out on anything.

DH and I took our first cruise on the Legend in April. We LOVED it, and we've booked the Glory for next year. We noticed that the first-day announcements (lifeboat drill, etc.) came over the speaker in our cabin. Whenever an announcement was made on the intercom, our TV was automatically put on mute until the announcement concluded.

For the rest of the week, however, we couldn't hear any announcements in our cabin - just in the hallways or common areas. Even though we couldn't hear anything on the intercom, our TV would still go to mute, which was how we knew an announcement was being made and was our cue to run to the hallway to hear what they were saying.

Did we inadvertently turn off the sound in our cabin somehow, or is it supposed to work this way?

No you didn't. After the first day they have stopped having them in the cabins. People complained about being bothered by them. Now, only something really important would cause them to break into the cabins

Only the important announcements are piped into your cabin and overrides the television.

It has nothing to do with passenger complaints. If there is anything having to do with security, muster drill, disembarkation, emergencies of any kind, or any other urgent or important info, they want to make sure everyone is aware..... They can totally control where announcements are heard.

Hey that's not a dumb question, it's a good observation. I'd noticed the same thing and just thought our in-room speaker wasn't working too well or something. I remember back on our first Carnival cruise in 2001 that "Mark, your cruise director..." was always breaking in with announcements. It wasn't really annoying but he did pick a few.. uh.. interesting times to make announcements.:D Guess some passsengers didn't think it as funny as we did.

........some prankster got on the PA system going into the cabins announcing to ABANDON SHIP!!!!!!

How would you like to be woken up to that?

:eek: Somebody should've hung the prankster by the ***** over the side of the ship for the duration of the cruise.

Only the important announcements are piped into your cabin and overrides the television.

It has nothing to do with passenger complaints. If there is anything having to do with security' date=' muster drill, disembarkation, emergencies of any kind, or any other urgent or important info, they want to make sure everyone is aware..... They can totally control where announcements are heard.[/quote']

Ah, yes it did. They USED to pipe EVERY announcement into the cabins. Now they just break in with only the important announcments as you and I both stated.;)

:eek: Somebody should've hung the prankster by the ***** over the side of the ship for the duration of the cruise.

COTTON!!! :D

I'm not sure that they ever found who did it, but some nasty accusations were being made at the time.

The pax shortly debarked in NY that morning.

Yeah...confused me this time also. We were on the Victory in the spring and heard everything the CD had to say. This time on the Inspiration all was peaceful. I wish Carnival had a system like RCCL....they had a speaker switch in the room....you could turn it on or off or even flip over and hear the music that was playing on the speakers at the pool. It was the best of both worlds.

Archived