Main dining room and buffet question

Jparr64

Can anyone tell me, newbie here...., is the main dining room used for buffets at breakfast and lunch and then made to order at dinner?....or are these two different things at two different locations? Am I correct in this thinking? Thanks for any feedback.

On Celebrity ships there is no buffet service at the main dining room (MDR). At the MDR patrons are seated, provided a menu, and then order from that menu. The MDR is open for breakfast and dinner, in addition to lunch on sea days. The MDR is closed for lunch on port days.

In contrast, the buffet is open for breakfast, late breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks, and dinner. Pizza and pasta stations stay open continuously from their opening times until late evening, as do salad bar stations. In the evenings the buffet will also have a "grill to order" station where passengers can have chicken, pork, fish and beef grilled while they wait.

MDRs and the buffet are not located on the same deck.

I must interject that on Silhouette, several cruises ago, we ate a few times in the MDR where there was a buffet station, as well, table service for quite a few items.

Very different from the OVC.

bon voyage

Years ago they would have the grand buffet in the MDR. That has been discontinued. They no longer have any special or grand buffets. They have a mini version usually on the last day in the buffet that has a chocolate fountain and a few other items that are “special” for that day.

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

I must interject that on Silhouette, several cruises ago, we ate a few times in the MDR where there was a buffet station, as well, table service for quite a few items.

Very different from the OVC.

bon voyage

I've had that experience on X as well but only at lunch and the buffet station was strictly for salads and lite desserts like jello or puddings....everything else was ordered off the menu and served.

Thanks everyone!:)

When you board, spend time roaming the ship checking out your assigned dining room, buffet, pool area offerings etc. Print out a deck plan for the public area floors. Or you can find nice ones in the back of a X cruise itinerary book from a travel agent. You'll get one at check in, but it's nice to have one ahead of time as a newbie.

Have a great time. You'll learn a ton here. Keep asking questions if anything else pops up.