Spa. Do you like it serene or sociable?

dln929

My husband and I prefer to have a serene experience at the spa because to us it's all about unwinding and relaxing. I especially like the mood music playing in the changing room as it sets the scene. When we're in the pool we keep conversation to a minimum and keep our voices low. In the sauna we don't talk at all. It's all about getting it as "zen" as we can.

We've learned the hard way that ours is not the universal viewpoint. If you go at certain hours when there are lots of people using all the amenities, it's more like noisy cocktail party sans cocktails. Or a meet & mingle [emoji6]. That's not our scene (in the spa at least) so we go in the off hours when it's quiet.

It did make me wonder though how people like their spa experience. Are you a close-your-eyes-in-the-sauna kind of person or a hello-how's-your-cruise-going kind of person?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Beware, this topic may bring out strong opinions! We're with you. Spa = zen. Hot tub = party. We'll take the spa every time. On our Into the Midnight Sun cruise, we mostly had the "spa" experience; quiet, maybe a nod, little else. There were a handful of, uh, "conversationalist" onboard. (Who we might have enjoyed at dinner. Maybe.) We learned to navigate around them for the most part. The Spa was one out favorite places.

I loved the spa and I was there every day. I do enjoy talking to other folks. However, if I said hi and there was no answer or just a nod I would shut up and read my book. I think that the large thalassotherapy pool is great for relaxing and nice conversation....but, again, if someone just stared off into space if I said hi I certainly wouldn't say hi again. I did not sit in the sauna as I don't need to be that hot (I live in AZ). The pool and hot tub were great for me. I did not try to make conversation while in the chair by the pool, I had a book and would read.

I LOVE a good long steam and when I have traveled on VO before, the spa area is one of my favorite places to be. I have spent many hours in the spa, so I speak from experience. Overall it maintains a calm, soothing, "zen-like" atmosphere. Rarely does it get 'loud' or 'party-like'. Very rarely. And then it's usually because of schedules/excursions returning and it getting a little more crowded. But even these times it doesn't last long and quickly returns to being more zen-like.

I do wish the spa area stayed open later.

To answer your question, I am more of a close-my-eyes-and-relax kinda spa person. I believe most VO cruisers are. I think the demographics of the typical Viking Cruiser knows that the spa area is a quiet, zen-like area.

Can I interject a question into this discussion? We will be on our third VO cruise this summer and it will be a longer one (15 days). We have tried to experience as much as we can of the ships activities/amenities and this one we will try out the spa. We have been there for massages, pedicures, and facials but never indulged in the pool, steam, sauna, etc. I will admit that it is a bit intimidating. What is your "typical" spa routine? I know the staff will happily give a tour but there are times they are busy and not necessarily available. Is an orientation essential?

Can I interject a question into this discussion? We will be on our third VO cruise this summer and it will be a longer one (15 days). We have tried to experience as much as we can of the ships activities/amenities and this one we will try out the spa. We have been there for massages, pedicures, and facials but never indulged in the pool, steam, sauna, etc. I will admit that it is a bit intimidating. What is your "typical" spa routine? I know the staff will happily give a tour but there are times they are busy and not necessarily available. Is an orientation essential?

Realizing everyone is different as to what they enjoy and/or feel comfortable with, here is my $.02

IMO an orientation is not essential. Not just on VO but every time I've had an 'orientation' of a spa or gym it has made me uncomfortable.

Guide: "Over there is the pool"

Me: "You mean that big hole in the floor with the water in it?"

Guide:"And over there is the steam room"

Me: "You mean that door that lets out a Mt Vesuvius quantity of steam every time it's opened?"

Of course I don't SAY that, but I think it! I'm polite and courteous, they have a job to do and I'm not going to trivialize it.

We too have been on two prior VO cruises with our third coming up in ~60 days (as I write this!). I personally have found the massages okay, not great, but good and relaxing considering cruising/excursions can be physically demanding. I always request a 'Deep Tissue' massage whenever I get a massage, and Viking's are more of a 'Relaxation' massage (which is fine).

Personally I enjoy a good, long, relaxing steam. And Viking has done well! Plenty of room and temperature is always 'spot-on' for me. The sauna (found in the dressing room) looks wonderful, but I'm not a dry heat kind of guy. I have learned to enjoy the cold water bucket cool down after visiting the steam room. My advice would be to gather up the nerve and try it once (or twice), you may learn to enjoy it! After that I usually wrap up in the great robes they have and relax in a lounger.

Then, depending on time, I start over and do it again.

The pool itself I enjoy, but it's not a big draw for me. SOmetimes if not wanting the cold water bucket, I might step into the snow grotto. I could take it or leave it, the snow grotto is a little 'gimmicky'.

Don't, in any way, let it 'intimidate' you, enjoy the spa area for all it's worth.

On our last cruise we went around 08.00 and only 1/2 other people around, it was bliss.

Even at other times it was quiet and peaceful, cant wait for our next trip.

I agree completely.

Having the spa almost to yourself is bliss.