Grand Cayman : Compiled info : beaches, transport, snorkling, interesting facts, etc

WarmWaters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Most of the posts on snorkeling off the beach are old. I will be in GC in Feb. and have done Stingray City so looking for a nice snorkel beach. Is Cemetery Beach still a good option? What about Eden Rock? I would like to see fish, but not have to go too far out, so any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone been to Whitehouse Mansion Beach in Grand Cayman? Any info would be appreciated.

I've driven by a lot, since it's in Bodden Town on the way to Rum Point. It used to be a private residence but has been turned into a special events venue and restaurant. Looks quite posh from the pics on their website - http://www.thewhitehousecayman.com/about-us/

• 3 months later...

I will be visiting Grand Cayman for the first time in December, on my fifth cruise.

Can anyone recommend the best location to see island nature (birds, iguanas) and go snorkeling? We have limited time on the island, and I would prefer to go on our own. Smith's Cove, Cemetery Beach, Royal Palms all seem like they might be good for us.

I appreciate any information you may have. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

3 times at Grand Cayman always been in the West End, next visit want to go to Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park & Pedro St. James North side of the island.Going to book ship tour, includes afternoon tea service at Pedro St. James.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't forget all those interested in visiting any of the Caymans. The exchange rate is different. For instance, I believe a $100 US is only worth $75 CI (Cayman dollar) in other words, you LOSE $25.00 or so off the top. Soooo don't be surprised when you go to exchange your US greenbacks for theirs. I started going to Cayman back in 83 after I got scuba certified (PADI) and always went back to Grand Cayman twice a year till 2010. I've heard Cayman has the second best reef diving (Next to Great Barrier) in the world. One things for sure, you WILL see some of the most beautiful fish/coral regardless if you snorkel OR scuba. BUT..The island is very warm (almost year round). However, it is a trip you'll never forget.

Mac

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, Cali girl said:

What are my options to get from Cruise port to Rum Beach Point?  Is there a bus? Taxi?

Rental car or excursion.  It’s a 45 min drive from the port, and the buses are not frequent in that area.  Taxis would be about $80 US each way for 1-3 passengers (higher for more people) and you’d need to pre-arrange the return trip to ensure a taxi was available.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the information, amazing amount of work and thought you put into that summary!   We are going to Grand Cayman in October and I have read that there will be 3 large ships in port that day and our ship is the last one in.  Some of our group wants to do a short dolphin encounter and then maybe lunch and beach time.  I’m thinking that with 3 ships in port, 7 Mile Beach is really not a good idea.   We have three children, and seven people total, so I don’t really want to go to any more “ remote” beaches.  

So maybe dolphin/ turtles and then lunch somewhere near the port with a beach view.  We have other beach opportunities.   Any ideas from you experienced cruisers?  

• Like 1

Thank you all for so much great information. I'm wondering about the return tender after our excursion in March. According to the cruiseline excursion page, we will return to the port at 3pm, and our ship departs at 3:30. My concern is that this may not be enough time since I've also read that we must be on the ship no later than 30 min before sailing. Even if the tender ride is short, we will be late getting back onboard. Has anyone experienced this? We are interested in the 7 Mile beach break with Royal Caribbean. 

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1 hour ago, mikenbon said:

Thank you all for so much great information. I'm wondering about the return tender after our excursion in March. According to the cruiseline excursion page, we will return to the port at 3pm, and our ship departs at 3:30. My concern is that this may not be enough time since I've also read that we must be on the ship no later than 30 min before sailing. Even if the tender ride is short, we will be late getting back onboard. Has anyone experienced this? We are interested in the 7 Mile beach break with Royal Caribbean. 

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Well, I’ve not been to Grand Cayman yet so I can’t speak to the tender times etc.  BUT, if you book an excursion through the cruiseline, you don’t need to worry about it, they will get you back in time. Or the ship will wait for you.   It’s only when you are on your own that you need to be watchful of the times.  

• Like 1

Thanks Maui Girl, that's what I thought, but when I emailed The shore excursions department to check on that, the reply came back  " you will need to arrange transportation to get you back to the ship on time". Crazy, right?! 😳

11 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

Thanks Maui Girl, that's what I thought, but when I emailed The shore excursions department to check on that, the reply came back  " you will need to arrange transportation to get you back to the ship on time". Crazy, right?! 😳

That’s bizarre, but keep in mind not all reps know what they are talking about 🙄. Or, could have just misunderstood the question.  It seems odd that the times listed on the excursion seem to conflict with the time in port, but I wouldn’t worry about it, that’s why we sometimes pay extra for ship excursions right?  😉

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

10 days away and we still haven't figured out what to do in each of our ports. I'm cruising with my mom who will be using a scooter while on the ship. We are also bringing her wheelchair so I can use it with her during excursions. It would be easier to fold a wheelchair up and put it onto a bus or taxi than the scooter. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do while in GC? She can walk short distances so one or two stairs are okay but nothing more.  Would it be worth it to hire a taxi driver to show us around the island?  

• 11 months later...

Have the cruise company said whether you are actually landing in Grand Cayman?  Right now the borders are completely closed to tourists.  I would be VERY surprised if you will be going ashore there.  They will be opening in March for those that have full vaccinations, plus tested 72 hours prior.  Is the ship offering PCR tests before you land?

• 2 years later...

Hello.   Heading to Grand Cayman in March 2024.  I want to do a cabana rental.  Royal Palms was mentioned a lot on this board but they seem to have closed down.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm traveling as a group of 4.  Thanks

13 hours ago, MindyCards said:

Hello.   Heading to Grand Cayman in March 2024.  I want to do a cabana rental.  Royal Palms was mentioned a lot on this board but they seem to have closed down.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm traveling as a group of 4.  Thanks

The only remaining beach club is https://coralbeach.ky

• 8 months later...