West Palm Beach airport to POM

Tara619

We have never done this route and I wanted advice to see if there’s a better way. We’re flying into PBI Saturday 3/24 arriving at 8 am (nonstop flight leaving at 5:30 am). Celebrity cruise leaves same day out of POM. We can’t fly in the night before due to work schedules.

I have a $70 Avis rental from PBI to their location at 99 Southeast 2nd St. We’ll drive straight to Avis and take their shuttle to POM. It seems to be about an hour drive? Is it an easy drive? Tolls? I thought it would be too long of a distance for Lyft.

Will this plan work and get us in the terminal by 12? Any other suggestions welcome. This is stressing me out especially since there are gun violence marches planned for that day, but I’m not sure exactly where or what time. They’re still being planned.

There is no "of" in "PortMiami" - I'm really not sure why everyone still writes "POM", but whatever.

An Uber estimate is $80 - $100 for that trip from PBI to PM. (I'm assuming 2 of you?) I don't think it's worth renting a car and going through that nonsense at all. The drive is a little over an hour and uneventful, it's all highway straight to the port. You leave PBI and get on I95, which then connects to the 395 which connects to the PortMiami Tunnel and you are at your terminal. Unless protesters are blocking the highway, you won't have any issues with them.

The name changed not too long ago, but POM is still used. POM makes a lot more sense than PM. I hate the name Port Miami, it just seems like its missing something.

Anyway, I agree with everyone above. It does not make sense to waste time with renting a car. With three people and Uber should be fine. It should not be too much more. Right now an estimate for that ride would be around $110 logging into Uber right now. I am about 1.5 miles away from Port Miami. But the time spent getting the car and returning the car is worth the $40.00 IMO.

I am not really sure. All I know is that when I go on my app it gives me a price for the ride as if it would allow me to take it. But for example if I put in Jacksonville Airport it does not give me an option to select a ride and it does not give me a price.

What do you think about renting a car from PBI to MIA and then taking a Lyft to port? I saw that recommended in a search. I’m guessing MIA rental return would be quicker than dealing with the Avis location on 2nd St? The other option is a private service and Larry’s Limos would be $220 for an SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttles from MIA to POM - if you are pushed for time skip the shuttle and grab an Uber/Lyft or taxi (taxi flat rate fare, even for SUV/minivan taxis, will be $27+tip).

Did you look at Uber/Lyft from PBI straight to POM? :confused:

West Palm Beach airport to POM is going to take you two hours not a little over one.

I have to go to WPB once an week for work and it is an hour from me from downtown Fort Lauderdale and then another to Miami.

Pray your flight isn't late and jump in the first Uber/Lyft you can find.

We decided to stop being so cheap and just booked a private suv through Larry’s Limos for $225. We’ll have 3-4 large suitcases and they said a sedan might not fit all the bags. A Lyft suv was estimated at $200 and we didn’t want any chance we couldn’t get a ride. Thanks for helping me think it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

West Palm Beach airport to POM is going to take you two hours not a little over one.

I have to go to WPB once an week for work and it is an hour from me from downtown Fort Lauderdale and then another to Miami.

Pray your flight isn't late and jump in the first Uber/Lyft you can find.

Google shows an hour and 10 minutes, they use real time data. I drive from Davie (end of 595) to Loxahatchee all the time which is well past PBI and takes us exactly an hour and 10. I would say Google is pretty accurate. I have no idea how it takes you that long from downtown. It' also not an hour from fll to Port Miami. Not even close. Especially if you are already on the highway. It's about 30 min. I'm at PM right now and from our house in Davie, even traveling all the way down 595 to 95, it took us 35 minutes this morning on the dot.

• 2 weeks later...
Is tri rail a good option?

A tri-rail train will get you from PBI to the MIA airport stop, and then you are still a 15-20+ minute taxi/Uber ride to downtown Miami or POM. You can look on-line at the train schedule -- should be okay if you are flying in the day before your cruise.

Google shows an hour and 10 minutes, they use real time data. I drive from Davie (end of 595) to Loxahatchee all the time which is well past PBI and takes us exactly an hour and 10. I would say Google is pretty accurate. I have no idea how it takes you that long from downtown. It' also not an hour from fll to Port Miami. Not even close. Especially if you are already on the highway. It's about 30 min. I'm at PM right now and from our house in Davie, even traveling all the way down 595 to 95, it took us 35 minutes this morning on the dot.

So you are riding in my car with me now?

Brightline took us 40 minutes yesterday.

So you are riding in my car with me now?

Brightline took us 40 minutes yesterday.

I do the drive all the time. An hour from PM to FLL is ridiculous. On Saturday, there was the fatal accident that shut down 95, we had to take side streets after stopped 95 traffic to get to Gratigny, then all the way to west Broward. Took 45 min. You would need to be riding a bicycle, slowly, to take an hour from PortMiami to FLL.

You can claim these long times, but it's simply untrue. Google and Waze can prove that with a couple of clicks.