Green Grotto Cave Tour

Cel_cruise

We are a family of 4 - 2 kids ages 4 and 8. Our 8 year old is VERY interested in going to the green grotto caves but the only tour RCCL offers for it also stops at Dunes falls and we don't need to go there. I found Yardie Tours online - has anyone taken a tour with them or anyone else that you recommend?? We are on the Navigator of the Seas and coming into Falmouth Port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
We are a family of 4 - 2 kids ages 4 and 8. Our 8 year old is VERY interested in going to the green grotto caves but the only tour RCCL offers for it also stops at Dunes falls and we don't need to go there. I found Yardie Tours online - has anyone taken a tour with them or anyone else that you recommend?? We are on the Navigator of the Seas and coming into Falmouth Port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am very interested in going to Green Grotto caves too, without the Dunns River Falls stop off. Will be on Freedom of the Seas April 26.

Do some of these private companies (with good repuations of course) do custom tours.

I am very interested in going to Green Grotto caves too, without the Dunns River Falls stop off. Will be on Freedom of the Seas April 26.

Do some of these private companies (with good repuations of course) do custom tours.

We ended up booking a private tour with Yardie Tours. They picked us up in Jamaica 45 minutes after docking and brought us to the caves. The price was 52$ a person (flat fee for kids and adults) plus tip.

The good:

- I emailed them and asked if they would do it. It was very easy to coordinate with them via email to set things up. They gave me instructions to book online to pay the deposit.

- the van transportation was clean and comfortable. We had working seatbelts for everyone and air conditioning.

- our driver was very helpful and volunteered to answer any questions we had about the island. My 8 year old had plenty!!

- the actual cave tour is given by a grotto tour guide. We arrived quickly but at the same time as a tour bus. They had us wait to go behind the tour bus groups so that we would have more time. It was worth the 20 minute wait (in comfortable areas etc). We were grouped with a local couple. The tour was GREAT. We all really enjoyed it. It exceeded my expectations for sure for a cave tour!

The Not So Good:

- Our driver was definitely helpful in educating us but was very pushy about trying to get us to stop other places and spending more money. I liked that they took us to a photo stop (columbus ship area), but then wanted to take us for Jerk Chicken (accepted that we didnt want to and we drove past it) and then stopped in the middle of no where at a souvenir store. There were 4 employees and 4 of us in the very dusty shop. We had no choice but to buy something to get out. I feel that I should have been more direct about not wanting this stop.

Overall - i would definitely recommend a private cave tour. I am on the fence about Yardie but I think that it could work out better as long as you are prepared for the additional excursion stops to be proposed and speak up accordingly based on your preference. If you wanted Jerk and Jamaican Coffee - these stops probably would have been very welcome to your tour! We just were not interested.

If I did it again, I may have pushed harder to have the kids prices be 10$ less to match the tuition to the grotto being less.

Just wanted to give you a heads up about the caves.

We did them and loved them!!!!

Take your own flashlight, it will come in handy when you do the stairs and see the underwater lake.

Also, take small bills for buying water, you will be thirsty when this is done.

We made the mistake of buying 3 waters and at the time they were $1.00 each, my DH gave them a $10 (US) and he got $7 Jamaican back,:eek: (ripped off). Chalk it up to learning experience.

Restrooms, clean and modern.

Oh, we were bad we later tipped with the jamaican money:D

later

Edited by Lionesss

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My review of Green Grotto Caves and Konoko Falls gives a lot of answers to these questions: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54644144

Thanks for the great review. According to our ship's tour (Green Grotto Express) description, we should bring towels for our visit there. We're not visiting the Falls. Do we really need towels for the grotto? :confused: