Grandeur of the Seas Bermuda Good/Bad/Ugly June 6-13 2014

We left Baltimore on June 6th heading to Bermuda on the Grandeur of the Seas. I will share our experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly. This was far from a perfect cruise but we made the best of it.

Cabin: Outside 4508 on Deck 4 forward. Nice quiet location, room was small, had to store suitcases inside of each other and the put them in the closet, they would not fit under the bed.

Edited by BenjiRodney

Looking forward to reading more...can you tell me approx. what time you sailed under the bridges? I've never done that and it looks so cool....DH and I are probably the only two cruisers out of Tampa to miss that bridge!! We asked some crew but nobody could tell us!! We're doing this cruise on 4 July...

Lynda

Edited by alwayshappytocruise

Looking forward to reading more...can you tell me approx. what time you sailed under the bridges? I've never done that and it looks so cool....DH and I are probably the only two cruisers out of Tampa to miss that bridge!! We asked some crew but nobody could tell us!! We're doing this cruise on 4 July...

Lynda

First one was about 5pm second one was about 630 I believe, we had early dining and had to see the Annapolis bridge from the dining room.

One of the bad things during this cruise was dinner service. SLOW SLOW was the name of the game. The first night took 2 1/2 hours. The second night was a little better, then Sunday/Monday nights in Bermuda we either ate off the ship or at Windjammer. Food and service were outstanding in Windjammer. Ate breakfast there every morning. We only ate in the dining room 3 of the 7 nights. We did eat at Chops on the last night, best meal of the entire cruise.

It was pretty smooth sailing out the bay and to Bermuda.

The show the first night was your standard welcome aboard followed by a comedy set by Stephen Thomas, not the best, we did not go to any of his other shows.

The 2nd night featured Brad Cumming and his "puppets", this was torture to sit through, not funny at all, he even made cracks about not getting any laughs.

Third night was a production show "All Access" we did not attend as we we off the ship exploring the Dockyard area.

Another bad thing was the weather, not Royal's fault. At the Past Guest party, held at 11 am, we were told that the ports in Bermuda were closed because of weather, thunderstorms and high winds. They announced that we may be late, but would get us in as soon as it was safe to do so, the storm front was taking longer to pass than expected.

We were on this same sailing and I have to agree about the length of time it took to eat dinner in the MDR, CRAZY 2 1/2 hours at best and not offered 2nd round of drinks? I have to disagree about Windjammer, HATED it, we thought the food during breakfast was horrible and we decided to eat breakfast in the MDR each morning. We ate lunch every day at Park Cafe :) the roast beef was wonderful!

Crew was great and the ship very clean but there are many areas that were in need of TLC.

We were on this same sailing and I have to agree about the length of time it took to eat dinner in the MDR, CRAZY 2 1/2 hours at best and not offered 2nd round of drinks? I have to disagree about Windjammer, HATED it, we thought the food during breakfast was horrible and we decided to eat breakfast in the MDR each morning. We ate lunch every day at Park Cafe :) the roast beef was wonderful!

Crew was great and the ship very clean but there are many areas that were in need of TLC.

I was also on this cruise and agree the food in the main dining room left a lot to be desired…..food in the Windjammer was not as good as other ships I've been on…...

The OP said he had early dining and slow service.

Did you also have the slow service in early dining, 2thesea? Or was it MTD or late?

We have MTD on our B2B next month. I am hoping MTD is not taking 2 1/2 hours, else the lines will be long and the people cranky (almost certainly including DH, maybe me, too). Any feedback about recent MTD experiences would be appeciated.

The OP said he had early dining and slow service.

Did you also have the slow service in early dining, 2thesea? Or was it MTD or late?

We have MTD on our B2B next month. I am hoping MTD is not taking 2 1/2 hours, else the lines will be long and the people cranky (almost certainly including DH, maybe me, too). Any feedback about recent MTD experiences would be appeciated.

We were on the May 30 departure on Grandeur. We had MTD and did not a have more than a few minutes wait at any time. The service was good and one night we were out in about an hour. Like any restaurant the service can be slow or fast. We usually arrived between 7 & 8 and had a table for two. I think service takes longer in traditional dining because everyone is seated at once. Also service for large tables takes longer.

Enjoy your cruise.