Train Ticket from Civitavecchia to Rome

cruisin56

To see the schedule, go to Trenitalia and enter Civitavecchia and Roma (tutte le stazione), choose a date in the upcoming week, and click on "regionali" to limit the display to just trains that you can use the BIRG ticket on.

http://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia.html

Yep...trenitalia is the site, and a great source if you take a few minutes to research and figure it out. Recommended here very commonly.

Yep...trenitalia is the site, and a great source if you take a few minutes to research and figure it out. Recommended here very commonly.

Different folks, different opinions - I find Trenitalia's website seriously customer-unfriendly. :eek:

Though mebbe because I'm a technogoof. :o

You probably won't find a timetable for more than a week or two out - if your date's not showing choose a close date for the same day-of-the-week but do check closer to the day (and for return times check again at Civi station on-the-day) cos train times often seem to change by a few minutes.

I've just tried to use it - entering station names "from" and "to" at this moment is almost impossible cos the typing line is halfway out of the boxes.

And it's telling me than a return ticket Civi to Rome is €4.60. That's half the price I'd expect it to be.

All typical of the grief I have with that website. :rolleyes:

JB :)

There is a website called Goeuro that is easier to navigate and gives different times and options.The same price as Trenitalia,print off vouchers and no need to validate at machines.

Interesting -- I had not heard of this site before.

In exploring it briefly, it appears that you can book the regional trains. The difference appears to be that you have to book a specific regional train and thus lose the flexibility of timing. In other words, the site says that if you purchase a ticket it can be used only for that specific time. However, if you purchase a normal regional ticket (or a BIRG) you can use it on any regional train....

Cruisemom,

I have a question about the BIRG ticket. When we port in Civi, we are going to take the train into Rome to go on a tour of the Colosseum (You already gave me info about how to get there- THANK YOU!) I see the train each way in 4.60 euro. Not sure how much the metro is. I believe the BIRG ticket is around11 euro. Is it worth it to buy the BIRG ticket or just pay for each ticket separately. Thinking the BIRG ticket just for convenience.

Please advise with your great knowledge

Thank you,

Howard

Cruisemom,

I have a question about the BIRG ticket. When we port in Civi, we are going to take the train into Rome to go on a tour of the Colosseum (You already gave me info about how to get there- THANK YOU!) I see the train each way in 4.60 euro. Not sure how much the metro is. I believe the BIRG ticket is around11 euro. Is it worth it to buy the BIRG ticket or just pay for each ticket separately. Thinking the BIRG ticket just for convenience.

Please advise with your great knowledge

Thank you,

Howard

Yes, I think the BIRG ticket is a good deal because it covers the roundtrip train fare between Rome and CV, plus metro and bus fare in Rome. However, one downside of the BIRG ticket is that it does not cover express trains, so if you were planning to take an express train, then you must buy the train tickets individually.

I see the train each way in 4.60 euro. Not sure how much the metro is. I believe the BIRG ticket is around11 euro. Is it worth it to buy the BIRG ticket or just pay for each ticket separately. Thinking the BIRG ticket just for convenience.

If you read post #2 of this thread you'll see that the cost of the BIRG is 12 euro. Each bus or metro ride in Rome is 1,50 euro.

Yes, I think the BIRG ticket is a good deal because it covers the roundtrip train fare between Rome and CV, plus metro and bus fare in Rome. However, one downside of the BIRG ticket is that it does not cover express trains, so if you were planning to take an express train, then you must buy the train tickets individually.

The language here is a little tricky and can confuse people, so let me clarify that the BIRG is good on all regionale trains, including regionale veloce. It is not good on IC or Frecce trains.

The current price for the 5-zone BIRG, the one you'd need between Civitavecchia and Rome, is 12 euro: http://atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=229&i=14

Hi Euro Cruiser, Thank you for the information. I think I once saw a post from you with detailed pictures and instructions on the best routes to take to see Rome in a Day. If you still have that handy and can send that to me it would be greatly appreciated. My email address is ecillef at yahoo

Different folks, different opinions - I find Trenitalia's website seriously customer-unfriendly. :eek:

Though mebbe because I'm a technogoof. :o

You probably won't find a timetable for more than a week or two out - if your date's not showing choose a close date for the same day-of-the-week but do check closer to the day (and for return times check again at Civi station on-the-day) cos train times often seem to change by a few minutes.

I've just tried to use it - entering station names "from" and "to" at this moment is almost impossible cos the typing line is halfway out of the boxes.

And it's telling me than a return ticket Civi to Rome is €4.60. That's half the price I'd expect it to be.

All typical of the grief I have with that website. :rolleyes:

JB :)

Totally agree John.We use the train hardly at all.Our friends wanted to see the Riaci bronzes in Reggio 160km up the road.Got 4 tickets via goeuro,job done.Trenitalia,to me is as clear as mud.By the way,you can get the next available train but not the previous on t&a of our ticket,but may differ on different lines.

Hi Euro Cruiser, Thank you for the information. I think I once saw a post from you with detailed pictures and instructions on the best routes to take to see Rome in a Day. If you still have that handy and can send that to me it would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is this thread from eight (!) years ago, detailing how to get to the major sights in Rome: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1237189&highlight=rome

Since it's been a while I would double check things like bus numbers, which could have changed.

The language here is a little tricky and can confuse people, so let me clarify that the BIRG is good on all regionale trains, including regionale veloce. It is not good on IC or Frecce trains.

I agree, all I can recall is that the BIRG ticket works on the two "slowest" train services to Rome.

To make sure I understand about the BIRG ticket. We can use it for the regional trans from Rome to Civi and back, any metro rides and any bus rides in the same day? We are taking the train from Civi to the Roma-Ostiense station. We can return from any train station back to Civi?

Correct?

To make sure I understand about the BIRG ticket. We can use it for the regional trans from Rome to Civi and back, any metro rides and any bus rides in the same day? We are taking the train from Civi to the Roma-Ostiense station. We can return from any train station back to Civi?

Correct?

Yes, correct. From any of the train stations in Rome.

It's good to be aware, though that the regional trains originate from Termini, and that's where you'd be most likely to get a seat. The mid- to later afternoon trains from Rome to Civi do get full, to the point of standing room only. If you get on in San Pietro, for example, you might have to stand up for a good part of the way -- or even the whole way -- back to the port.

On the minus side, the tracks for these trains in Termini station are far away (like several blocks) from the main set of tracks at the station head. So if you plan to take the train from Termini, allow plenty of walking time to get to the tracks before departure.

• 3 weeks later...
To see the schedule, go to Trenitalia and enter Civitavecchia and Roma (tutte le stazione), choose a date in the upcoming week, and click on "regionali" to limit the display to just trains that you can use the BIRG ticket on.

http://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia.html

Hi Euro Cruiser. You are always so knowledgeable so if you or anyone else for that matter can please just clarify a couple of answers on a few questions I would appreciate it. I think I know the answer but just want to be sure.

1. We are going from the ship in Civ. To the Roma Termini station in Rome, what is the name of the train station in Civ we should look for and the name of the train

2. Does NON BIRG Tickets have to be validated before boarding if you already have purchased them.

3. How hard is it to find transportation (mainly train) pick up point if you don’t speak or read Italian?

4. Do you need exact change to board the transportation system in Rome? Do you need to buy a pass before riding the bus?

5. Is there a long line at the Barakka lift?

Thank you!

Hi Euro Cruiser. You are always so knowledgeable so if you or anyone else for that matter can please just clarify a couple of answers on a few questions I would appreciate it. I think I know the answer but just want to be sure.

1. We are going from the ship in Civ. To the Roma Termini station in Rome, what is the name of the train station in Civ we should look for and the name of the train ...

To my knowledge, there is only one train station in CV. To find the train to Rome, you look at the schedule in the train station and find the next train number to Rome. The schedule will show the track number of that train, which I think is always the same for trains to Rome. Then you walk to the passageway that goes under the tracks to the platform for that train and wait.

1. We are going from the ship in Civ. To the Roma Termini station in Rome, what is the name of the train station in Civ we should look for and the name of the train

2. Does NON BIRG Tickets have to be validated before boarding if you already have purchased them.

3. How hard is it to find transportation (mainly train) pick up point if you don’t speak or read Italian?

4. Do you need exact change to board the transportation system in Rome? Do you need to buy a pass before riding the bus?

5. Is there a long line at the Barakka lift?

Thank you!

I think you might be a little confused. The Barakka lift is in Valletta, Malta. And to answer your question it depends if a ship has just arrived or will be departing soon.

I think you might be a little confused. The Barakka lift is in Valletta, Malta. And to answer your question it depends if a ship has just arrived or will be departing soon.

Yes, I do realize it was in Malta, just switched hats for a moment...should have been clearer