State of emergency in Montego Bay

Canadianmama3

life happens here and abroad. I am trying to say the resort is secure and have done my research and our group is fine with going on excursion. Someone got shot while pumping gas here. It happens. Security is high yes, and we will check prior to cruising.

I'm with you.......I'd do my research too and continue with my plans. It's only at a level 2 - need to always be aware of your surroundings and take precautions but not cease to live and enjoy your trip. Have fun!

At the present time the travel warning for Jamaica is only a level 2, the same as Mexico. Both Honduras and Guatemala have even higher level 3 warnings but aren't getting the publicity that Jamaica is. I have traveled in both Honduras and Guatemala recently on excursions with no worries.

At the present time the travel warning for Jamaica is only a level 2, the same as Mexico. Both Honduras and Guatemala have even higher level 3 warnings but aren't getting the publicity that Jamaica is. I have traveled in both Honduras and Guatemala recently on excursions with no worries.

Exactly. We were in Cozumel over Labor Day and was a very high travel warning. We did our excursion and was just fine. Just need to use common sense while being abroad, no matter where it is.

Sure. And if you're shot it is what it is.:rolleyes:.

This why so many don't even bother posting here. CC are some of the snottiest and rudest people ever.

There are a few nice ones but to make a come back like this? Actually it is what it is. Life happens here or anywhere. People are shot daily. Guess I'm going back to ignoring this board like all of my cruise friends.

Well I’m from Canada not the US. And yes I know many people that avoid travelling to the US because they don’t think it’s safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too am from Canada, travel to the States a dozen plus times a year, have a heightened sense of insecurity each time I’m there. Driving to Nashville in August for the total eclipse and seen a guy on his motorcycle with a pistol tucked in the back of his pants. Wild West moment that seems so strange and odd to one living in Canada. If I seen someone driving down the road in a motorcycle with gun in plain sight in Jamaica, would also freak me out.

I will be boarding Harmony Of The Seas this Saturday and I sent correspondence to Royal Caribbean regarding the situation in Jamaica and am disappointed I have not received a response. The news is disconcerting – Canada has issued a travel warning, as has the U.S., and British tourists have been warned to “stay in resorts” in Jamaica amidst the security emergency. Yes, I have read the accounts from tourists in this forum who were just recently there and felt “safe.” However, traveling with my children and grandchildren, I’m not willing to take any risk where Americans have been warned to “exercise increased caution.” Those cautionary considerations are not in line with a relaxing vacation. Disappointingly, I have cancelled our tours in Jamaica and we plan on staying within the port at Falmouth. Basically, our cruise has been downgraded to one less destination.

I find it negligent that Royal Caribbean will not re-route us to a different port where we can feel safe and leave the port area without having to “exercise increased caution.” The majority of the travel alerts have been issued for the Montego Bay area specifically – which is neighboring to Falmouth and the location of the majority of the tours.

I mean I can understand people having concern with this. The situation in St. James Parish has gotten out of hand it just really escalated last year. I have many Jamaican friends down here in South FL and they will talk about the stuff going on in St James and share Facebook videos of things happening.

Not to downplay any of it, but this state of emergency is really not aimed for the port areas, licensed tours and resorts that travel and do business on highway A1 and reside on those beaches to the north.

The idea of a tour bus getting hijacked from a cruise port to a resort in some wild wild west fashion movie type scenario is a ridiculous thought.

There are many young tourists that fly to Jamaica on limited income and travel through the more internal areas of these Parish's and these warnings are just a caution to everybody to stay vigilant and be smart about where you are heading and who you come in contact with.

I can't speak to everybody's thought process . . . Jamaica is one of those uneasy port stops because of the aggressiveness of vendors and people often feel uneasy there without a state of emergency being issued. Just keep in mind Jamaica is a big island and unless you are renting a car to go into the heart of the action you really have little to be concerned about from a safety standpoint.

Be smart and aware like you should be at every cruise stop in the Carribean.

I will be boarding Harmony Of The Seas this Saturday and I sent correspondence to Royal Caribbean regarding the situation in Jamaica and am disappointed I have not received a response. The news is disconcerting – Canada has issued a travel warning, as has the U.S., and British tourists have been warned to “stay in resorts” in Jamaica amidst the security emergency. Yes, I have read the accounts from tourists in this forum who were just recently there and felt “safe.” However, traveling with my children and grandchildren, I’m not willing to take any risk where Americans have been warned to “exercise increased caution.” Those cautionary considerations are not in line with a relaxing vacation. Disappointingly, I have cancelled our tours in Jamaica and we plan on staying within the port at Falmouth. Basically, our cruise has been downgraded to one less destination.

I find it negligent that Royal Caribbean will not re-route us to a different port where we can feel safe and leave the port area without having to “exercise increased caution.” The majority of the travel alerts have been issued for the Montego Bay area specifically – which is neighboring to Falmouth and the location of the majority of the tours.

There will be plenty of people who will absolutely feel safe docking in Falmouth and continuing their excursion and having a wonderful day. They aren't cancelling that port of call and they will have ship excursions that go right into Montego Bay.

It is hardly negligent. They will give warnings about what is going on, suggest using caution while exploring the port area on your own and use licensed vendors if doing something outside of the port areas.

Many people will stay on board or inside the gated port area and that is fine as well.

The violence in Jamaica is not there to disrupt tourists and their families and children spending money on their port of call. Many of these "gang bangers" have parents that rely on cruisers every day to buy stuff so they can keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

The violence is stemming from typical drug and money related transactions . . . And maybe that cruiser who is looking for the "weed hookup" will think twice about his dealings that day.

Again, people will have their thoughts and will do what they think is best, but don't assume your thoughts and insecurities reflect everyone else's.

I think you are worrying about the wrong port. Jamaica only has a level 2 travel warning. You are going to Mexico and Haiti also and Mexico has a level 2 travel warning and Haiti has an even higher level 3 travel warning. Perhaps your ship should do 7 sea days?

This why so many don't even bother posting here. CC are some of the snottiest and rudest people ever.

There are a few nice ones but to make a come back like this? Actually it is what it is. Life happens here or anywhere. People are shot daily. Guess I'm going back to ignoring this board like all of my cruise friends.

I agree, I used to get a ton of great information from this board but now I just get upset because of all of the hate. Of course, it's not everyone, but there is an underlying snarky tone to so much of the conversation.

I am especially sad about all of the bad press Jamaica gets on here. I just don't understand it. I've been there on land vacations and cruise stops and have had nothing but lovely experiences; feeling safe at all times. All of the guides I've had in Jamaica have taken SUCH good care of us. Why does Jamaica get such a bad rap as compared to other Caribbean ports? In my home town of Kansas City there were over 160 murders last year, but no one should ever visit here by the philosophy some people apply to Jamaica.

I digress, but for a vacation message board this sure is a stressful place.

I think that the 55 passengers from Celebrity on a tour in St. Lucia back in 2013 would take exception to this......

The idea of a tour bus getting hijacked from a cruise port to a resort in some wild wild west fashion movie type scenario is a ridiculous thought.

Now, before anyone thinks that I'm "hating" on Jamaica, I'm not. It's just that there are a number of places in the Caribbean that have problems; as does the US, Europe, etc. Other than the Med, the highest concentration of cruise visitors is probably the Caribbean so it's not unlikely that "something" will happen again. I'm just hoping that it won't be cruise passenger murder(s) before cruise lines decide that it just might not be a bad idea to stop going to certain places.

Linda R.

I think that the 55 passengers from Celebrity on a tour in St. Lucia back in 2013 would take exception to this......

Now, before anyone thinks that I'm "hating" on Jamaica, I'm not. It's just that there are a number of places in the Caribbean that have problems; as does the US, Europe, etc. Other than the Med, the highest concentration of cruise visitors is probably the Caribbean so it's not unlikely that "something" will happen again. I'm just hoping that it won't be cruise passenger murder(s) before cruise lines decide that it just might not be a bad idea to stop going to certain places.

Linda R.

To be correct, the bus was not hijacked. Their were 2 buses at a stop on a excursion and 13 of the 55 people got robbed with nobody getting injured. Happened 5 years ago and the criminals were apprehended shortly after. Sure it is scary but stuff like that can literally happen anywhere in the world at any time. You can either play the percentages and enjoy life or lock yourself up in the house and watch everybody else enjoy life.

You have a better chance of getting murdered on the ship or in any city in the United States than you do on an excursion/immediate port area in a Caribbean island on a port day. (Not saying it can't happen)

It is a nonsensical argument to be honest.

Again it is not to downplay the crime in Jamaica or anywhere else in the Caribbean. There are things I have seen via video that go on in the roughest parts of Jamaica that are just inhumane. Same can be said for parts of Miami, or Chicago, or New York or anywhere.

Continue to be smart when visiting unfamiliar places and enjoy your vacation.

We have a charter cruise booked on Navigator of the Seas on 2/11. We have already been informed that due to unrest in Jamaica, we will not be going there. They added the Coco Cay island instead. Not sure if this was Royal Caribbean that changed it or if it was the company that we have the charter through.

It is not a “ridiculous thought.” A month before our first visit to St. Kitts a group dropped a tree across the road to the Brimstone Fortress, stopped the van, and robbed the cruise ship excursion tourists. In the not too distant past an excursion bus full of Carnival passengers was robbed in Mexico. It can and does happen.

It is not a “ridiculous thought.” A month before our first visit to St. Kitts a group dropped a tree across the road to the Brimstone Fortress, stopped the van, and robbed the cruise ship excursion tourists. In the not too distant past an excursion bus full of Carnival passengers was robbed in Mexico. It can and does happen.

Of course it is a ridiculous thought. Millions of cruise passengers in the Caribbean every year and we are bringing up stuff from 5 years ago to justify a thought process on the area . . When stuff like this happens all over the U.S. on a daily basis.

Unless you are having that same thought everytime you are out in the world, you shouldn't only have those thoughts when visiting just Jamaica or the Caribbean in general.

It’s all over the Caribbean to some extent, not just Jamaica.

Happens quite often on Barbados but not on the ‘bus scale’ mentioned.

People have been stopped and robbed while driving through the cane fields up north.

The perps roll a big rock or a number of smaller ones, across the narrow road and when the vehicle stops they are robbed. Especially tourists renting mini mokes.

Usually there are two perps involved. One is the lookout for a good target and the other rolls the rocks. They disappear into the cane and are rarely caught.

A machete, a tool commonly used in the cane fields, is used for intimidation.

That’s one reason why you won’t see islanders driving mini mokes.

Sedans with windows all around are what you’ll see. Much safer and cooler.

A machete, a tool commonly used in the cane fields, is used for intimidation.

That’s one reason why you won’t see islanders driving mini mokes.

Sedans with windows all around are what you’ll see. Much safer and cooler.

Wow, we rented those for our honeymoon in Barbados and the thought of this happening never crossed our minds... That was back in 2001, but if I had known that, we would have never rented the mini mokes... It was fun, though!

• 2 weeks later...
Of course it is a ridiculous thought. Millions of cruise passengers in the Caribbean every year and we are bringing up stuff from 5 years ago to justify a thought process on the area . . When stuff like this happens all over the U.S. on a daily basis.

Unless you are having that same thought everytime you are out in the world, you shouldn't only have those thoughts when visiting just Jamaica or the Caribbean in general.

When I am "out in the world", I am typically familiar with the areas I routinely frequent and know which areas to avoid. When the ship drops me and the other passengers off in a foreign country, we do not have that familiarity. Even if on a ship's excursion, there is often free time to explore on one's own. Additionally, tourists are typically perceived to be carrying more money and more jewelry than local residents in many of the tropical ports visited. Also, many travelers are retired, and the elderly are often seen as easier targets. Even in Europe, tourists are warned about pickpockets.

In one port, I watched as someone attempted to target DW when they thought she was not alert and would be an easy target, but I recognized what was happening and was able to intervene.

Before we arrived at Montego Bay this week, an alert was sent to the passengers on the Veendam that included a reminder "to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase your security awareness."

Periodic reminders to members of this forum, many of whom are new cruisers, are helpful, particularly when they are naive to the schemes that might be employed to separate them from their valuables.

I was just in Montego Bay on February 14 and took a taxi to a place about 30 minutes away. I've been there several times before and everything seemed normal with the taxi drivers and others saying that while the state of emergency existed, things were much more peaceful than usual.

Most people left the ship for excursions with no one reporting any bad situations.