NCL Star Panama Canal vs NCL Jewel Transpacific

Von & John

We are looking @ 2 cruises:

NCL Star - Panama Canal - Miami to LA

NCL Jewel - Transpacific - Vancouver to Tokyo

We have not been on either ship. Seeking information/preferences people have for both the ships & the itineraries.

Also beneficial - if anyone knows of proposed refurbishment / dry-dock - I believe the Star has a 2 week one coming up.

We have previously cruised the Panama Canal w/ Princess - LA to Fort Lauderdale and have done Asia w/ Celebrity.

All thoughts & reviews appreciated... Thanks Von & John

We are looking @ 2 cruises:

NCL Star - Panama Canal - Miami to LA

NCL Jewel - Transpacific - Vancouver to Tokyo

We have not been on either ship. Seeking information/preferences people have for both the ships & the itineraries.

Also beneficial - if anyone knows of proposed refurbishment / dry-dock - I believe the Star has a 2 week one coming up.

We have previously cruised the Panama Canal w/ Princess - LA to Fort Lauderdale and have done Asia w/ Celebrity.

All thoughts & reviews appreciated... Thanks Von & John

I prefer Jewel to Star because Jewel has a wonderful observation lounge and also has The Great Outdoors area.

Those are two completely different itineraries. We have done the canal transit on the Star and have done a ta crossing on the Jewel.

Since you've done a Canal transit I'd recommend the Transpacific crossing.

I prefer Jewel to Star because Jewel has a wonderful observation lounge and also has The Great Outdoors area.

Those are two completely different itineraries. We have done the canal transit on the Star and have done a ta crossing on the Jewel.

Since you've done a Canal transit I'd recommend the Transpacific crossing.

I also agree that the Jewel-class ships are preferable to the Star because the latter lacks a forward-facing observation area and lacks the Great Outdoors, two of the wonderful public spaces on the Jewel. (I pretty much have zero interest in the Star for those reasons alone.)

We have been on both ships. I agree with the other opinions — the Jewel is a little nicer. I particularly liked the buffet arrangement better on the Jewel. And as previously stated, NCL converted the Spinnaker Lounge into four forward-facing Deluxe Owner’s Suites, so they no longer have the viewing area. Not so good for most, but the ULTIMATE for private viewing of the Panama Canal transit if you are fortunate enough to snag one of those suites. We have one booked for this year and I can’t wait! However, if we hadn’t gotten that suite, we probably wouldn’t have chosen the Star for a Panama Canal cruise.

Thank You All -- We changed our cruise today from the Star Panama Canal Westbound to Jewel Transpacific Vancouver to Tokyo...

Now have to start working on travel arrangements & where to spend our extra time in Japan - Can't wait :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank You All -- We changed our cruise today from the Star Panama Canal Westbound to Jewel Transpacific Vancouver to Tokyo...

Now have to start working on travel arrangements & where to spend our extra time in Japan - Can't wait :)

I am looking st this same cruise. Have you found a Meet up thread for this date?

• 4 weeks later...
I am looking st this same cruise. Have you found a Meet up thread for this date?

Alyce --

We did find - not sure if you have joined yet or not, so I am including the link from here for you:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2559709

Looking forward to "chatting" w/ you on the roll call & seeing you on the ship.

Cheers -- Von

Panama Canal transit is still on my bucket list but not DH's, but anyway I wouldn't book the PC cruise on the following ships: Dawn, Star, Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, Escape.

The last 4 ships mentioned aren't allowed anyway because their lifeboats stick out. The new Bliss has hers tucked in.

The Transpacific is on my bucket list also (even thought we did part TP - from San Francisco to Hawaii) ... one year we'll do it but it will depend on the ship.

Panama Canal transit is still on my bucket list but not DH's, but anyway I wouldn't book the PC cruise on the following ships: Dawn, Star, Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, Escape.

The last 4 ships mentioned aren't allowed anyway because their lifeboats stick out. The new Bliss has hers tucked in.

The Transpacific is on my bucket list also (even thought we did part TP - from San Francisco to Hawaii) ... one year we'll do it but it will depend on the ship.

BlueSea --

Enjoy the PC -- we completed eastbound a few years back on the Coral Princess -- Loved it!!

We are looking forward to the Transpacific in September...

Cheers -- Von & John :cool:

The TP is far north at the end of September, pack accordingly.

We will :D Hoping for some sun - if not warmth!

We still have 5'5" of snow in Talkeetna - wall created from snowblowing...

Probably close to 3-1/2' in non-snowblowed areas...

Yesterday's high - 53 & sunny :cool: