Seabourn Pride London to Lisbon in pictures and video

Emperor Norton

Off to San Francisco to start my cruise:

IMG_20130915_113306-L.jpg

Pre-cruise ritual includes a pint of Guinness and some Irish Coffee to ward off the wee beasties (It's also usually the last chance for a good Irish Coffee and pint before returning home).

IMG_20130915_084228-L.jpg

IMG_20130915_085247-L.jpg

In hindsight a terrible break from tradition I had some Udon noodles while waiting for my flight to London.

IMG_20130915_152414-L.jpg

and some sake

IMG_20130915_151649-L.jpg

With even more time to kill than usual I went window shopping

IMG_20130915_150540-L.jpg

The United/Star Alliance lounge had an interesting view of the jets, almost like shark fins breaking the surface "the idea was: a jet comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the jet will go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that jet he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a jet... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then..." (with apologies - Quints quote on sharks from Jaws).

1379279230507-XL.jpg

The closest would be my ride, a 747-400 and the best flight of the trip:(

1379279938454-XL.jpg

After settling in it was time to kill time for the 9+ hours to London

IMG_20130915_172616-XL.jpg

IMG_20130915_172631-XL.jpg

After arriving in London I was met by my driver who admitted his GPS didn't believe the drop off location existed. Great. After a wonderful tour and real-time simulation experience of London traffic I went on my phone and got us to the location. The problem was the car entrance was through a construction zone and those individuals were being rather problematic about letting us pass. Eventually we got through and I was able to drop my bag with Seabourn staff. I was given a temporary boarding card and sent on my way down to a dock on the Thames. After walking down some ramps I along with others stood waiting for our tender across to the HMS Belfast.

The open-air tender arrived and we started to board. Pay close attention as you board the tender. Those seats that are wet - you probably don't want to sit there.

View of the tender dock (the tender would be off image left in this image):

DSC_2767-XL.jpg

This was the view from the tender:

DSC_2763-XL.jpg

After tendering across to the HMS Belfast it was up a few flights of narrow stairs (it's a warship not a cruise liner) and then over to the check in desk for the pride. If you look at the lower left of this image you can see one of the sets of stairs users must ascend to make it to the Pride:

DSC_2769-XL.jpg

In this instance the HMS Belfast acts as the dock for the Pride. You can see how close they are.

DSC_2765-XL.jpg

DSC_2768-XL.jpg

Sadly, even though the HMS Belfast is part of a pay museum and supposed to be ready reserve it didn't seem to be kept in the best shape.

DSC_2770-XL.jpg

Baychilla thank for your time and effort you put into your review. The photos are great......I especially loved the one of the Tower bridge all lit up. Also loved your description of the planes using the reference to jaws....very clever:cool:.

Julie

1379353851180-XL.jpg

After a few hours it was time for the muster drill. This time around the drill went very quickly - I'd say around 10 minutes. I caught a few zz's then it was time for dinner. I don't recall much from that first dinner other than one server had a hissy fit and I made a date with the cart for some Crepes Suzette.

Things looked a little different after dinner.

DSC_2803-XL.jpg

That almost looks like a powder burn

DSC_2779-XL.jpg

DSC_2799-XL.jpg

DSC_2786-XL.jpg

The Shard, looking like partially worn down missile pop

DSC_2808-XL.jpg

Edited by baychilla

Follow the stairway to... the Skybar (what were you expecting perhaps somepace else;))

DSC_2816-XL.jpg

Which was a ghost town

DSC_2810-XL.jpg

In the observation lounge they had a couple of people playing with fire

DSC_2812-XL.jpg

So back outside I went. I guess we weren't going that way

DSC_2815-XL.jpg

You're going to need a bigger...light

DSC_2826-XL.jpg

A dinner cruise that seemed to circle, waiting for us to make the magic happen.

DSC_2835-XL.jpg

DSC_2845-XL.jpg

Goodbye, Tower Bridge!

DSC_2852-XL.jpg

Tony, one of the Assistant Maitre d's had the foresight to bring a tripod and mount with him. I should have taken him up on his offer to share.

DSC_2842-XL.jpg

Goodbye tall buildings!

DSC_2863-XL.jpg

After leaving the protection of the Thames it was time to ride the English channel. For some this was a walk in the park, for others it was a nauseating nightmare. Protip - if you're sea sick, the Sky Bar is probably one of the worst places for you to be (though Sean would argue that a shot of Fernet Branca would fix you right up).

Under cloudy skies we arrived in the industrial (and apparently smuggling rife) port of Le Havre. With rain threatening it was necessary to pack a rain jacket for myself and the camera. Thankfully they would get very little use. On to a bus and off we went. Before we could get very far the driver had the guide pass around pen and paper. We were to write our names and countries of origin down. This was to give to the police in the even we were stopped. What were the chances of THAT happening?:rolleyes: For this port we had to carry our passports with us.

After leaving the port we were off into the countryside which was farm and dairy country with some apple orchards thrown in. As luck would have it we were there in time for free cider tastings. As luck wouldn't have it, we didn't have the time :(

We arrived in the town of Arromaches on a bluff overlooking a rather nondescript beach in what appeared to be your average coastal tourist town. However there were objects out in the water that stood as reminders of what happened here in starting in June of 1945.

Our first sight on the bluff overlooking Arrowmanches, a small bunker.

DSC_2878-XL.jpg

Today the bluffs were just filled with tourists and the only shooting being done was via cameras.

DSC_2879-XL.jpg