How prepared is your ship if you fall overboard?

need2cruisesoon

It's stupid people like this that will cause the cruise lines to encase the ships in netting so no one can fall overboard! Or there will not be any outside areas-everything will be indoors. The dumb lawyers who encourage this behavior should lose their licenses.

Studies indicate people do their suicides in places they enjoy. I live in Colorado mtns. We see it all the time. They just disappear,wilderness camping or skiing off cliffs out of bounds. Often financial problems.

Studies indicate people do their suicides in places they enjoy. I live in Colorado mtns. We see it all the time. They just disappear,wilderness camping or skiing off cliffs out of bounds. Often financial problems.

I'm curious if anyone knows the relative proportions of overboard incidents by cause. What percentage are suicides, versus drunks being stupid, versus homicide attempts, versus true accidents, etc.?

I'd never thought about suicides choosing to end it in places they enjoy, though I guess there's a logic to it.

When I told my sister that this woman fell over board was rescued and is now suing the cruiseline she immediately said "Why? Was she trying to commit suicide?". Never crossed my mind but that sure would be interesting

Would you feel the same if an employee jumped. Recently a case of Princess and most thought otherwise. It could be the life of a steward is worth more than that of a paying passenger.

An employee jumping is not the same thing as an idiot passenger falling overboard. I still have no sympathy for someone who just falls overboard because they get drunk or are acting like idiots.

Why can no one take responsibility for their own actions any more. .

I assume no one includes yourself but many people do. I told my kids there is no way to accidentally go over the rails. So if they did they should pray the sharks get to to their butts before I do. My DD asked what I meant. I said stay off the rails. She replied that pretty stupid think to do but make sure to remind her brother.

When the Princess steward jumped overboard I was shocked people weren't allowed to say that his choice, lets get on with my dream vacation. I know Hawaii is a dream that fella took with him.

Edited by Blk_Amish

An employee jumping is not the same thing as an idiot passenger falling overboard. I still have no sympathy for someone who just falls overboard because they get drunk or are acting like idiots.

I feel sorry for the drunk person because you know they did not intend to frolic with the sharks. Still say ship outta luck.

When the Princess steward jumped overboard I was shocked people weren't allowed to say that his choice, lets get on with my dream vacation. I know Hawaii is a dream that fella took with him.

Personally, if a person wants to end their own life, I feel that is their choice and I have no right to question why. However, ending ones life in a way that affects thousands of innocent people - vacationers paying good money to have a fun time that has now been tainted by a deliberately caused tragedy, and crew members who have to take action to find the person, possibly their friend - is something I can't condone. Such an action is a personal matter, and can be forgiven as I don't know what problems that person is dealing with. But to do so in a way that detrimentally affects people trying to enjoy time away from their own problems is beyond forgiveness.

As for getting drunk, doing something stupid and falling off the ship - I have zero sympathy for that person and hope they get nothing but scorn for their lawsuit.

Edited by swsfrail

From what I've read about overboard incidents, the fault has always been

with the person going over--drunk, drunk and fighting with with someone or suicide.

I am sailing on my 16th cruise on the 26th and I figured out a long time ago that there's no way anyone could accidently fall in. The only time I was on a ship when someone went overboard was a few years ago when a window washer fell off the scaffolding while the ship was in port. He was rescued without a problem. That kind af accident I can understand, but not going over a railing, even on a balcony.

I have no sympathy for those who choose to put themselves in danger, thereby making things difficult for others on the ship. I agree that the cruiseline should be suing her for time and fuel costs. I hope the jury socks it to her.

I've seen the infrared night video of the incident several times. My impression of it is striking-- the woman doesn't look like she just fell out of her balcony, her body looks like it was PROPELLED out from the side of the ship with some considerable force.

I am not suggesting some sort of foul play, nor implying that anyone else was involved-- just that her sudden absence of memory ("...and the next thing I knew...") seems a little convenient.

Personally, if a person wants to end their own life, I feel that is their choice and I have no right to question why.

Oh my dear, from personally knowing teens who have made this decision, it's haunting. The act takes a part of you with them, so lets hope this is never someone you are close to.

Sympathy doesn't cost me anything, from someone who have had their fair share of not so brilliant moments. Before I learned to swim, at 43, I decided it was a good idea to jump into the pool. Ok, it was in the sahllow end and I am almost 6 ft tall but I panicked. I was cold sober so I didn't have alcohol to blame.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Oh my dear, from personally knowing teens who have made this decision, it's haunting. The act takes a part of you with them, so lets hope this is never someone you are close to.

Sympathy doesn't cost me anything, from someone who have had their fair share of not so brilliant moments. Before I learned to swim, at 43, I decided it was a good idea to jump into the pool. Ok, it was in the sahllow end and I am almost 6 ft tall but I panicked. I was cold sober so I didn't have alcohol to blame.

Maybe it did happen to someone close to her and it was/is unfathomable.....I didn't read her post as being unsympathetic.

Personally, if a person wants to end their own life, I feel that is their choice and I have no right to question why..

Maybe it did happen to someone close to her and it was/is unfathomable.....I didn't read her post as being unsympathetic.

Maybe and I guess these things affect us differently. All I have is questions to why? I hope it didn't because it not easy to live with.

As for the rest, I still it was clearly stated she had no sympathy for the person. I stated due to my less than brilliant acts, I tend to pass sympathy on easily. No need for the pot to call the kettle black. (no pun intended:D)

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Maybe and I guess these things affect us differently. All I have is questions to why? I hope it didn't because it not easy to live with.

As for the rest, I still it was clearly stated she had no sympathy for the person. I stated due to my less than brilliant acts, I tend to pass sympathy on easily. No need for the pot to call the kettle black. (no pun intended:D)

Pauline

Agreed:).....while running the risk of a total thread hijack, it is indeed beyond tragic....no matter the circumstance.

Carnival Cruise Company has accounted for nearly half of all over boards since 2000.

Here is a quote from an article in the International Business Times from earlier this year, written by Mark Johanson.

According to Dr. Klein’s statistics, nearly half of all overboard incidents since 2000, or 94 out of 200, have occurred on Carnival ships, including Costa, Cunard, P&O, Princess and Holland America. Royal Caribbean-owned ships have accounted for the next largest number, with 39 incidents over the last 13 years.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-many-cruise-ship-passengers-go-overboard-each-year-1250127

Perhaps the cruise industry could mandate catch nets on all ships similar to the picture below showing a suicide net on the Golden Gate Bridge. Thus eliminating any possibility of over boards and accidents that involve cruise workers.

143525-6-20081011011145.jpeg

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Agreed:).....while running the risk of a total thread hijack, it is indeed beyond tragic....no matter the circumstance.

Exactly. Be it drunken stupidly or full fledged depression. It's tragic, some who have never touched by certain things may never understand.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Carnival Cruise Company has accounted for nearly half of all over boards since 2000.

Here is a quote from an article in the International Business Times from earlier this year, written by Mark Johanson.

According to Dr. Klein’s statistics, nearly half of all overboard incidents since 2000, or 94 out of 200, have occurred on Carnival ships, including Costa, Cunard, P&O, Princess and Holland America. Royal Caribbean-owned ships have accounted for the next largest number, with 39 incidents over the last 13 years. I think that's just a reflection of the share of the market these companies have, not an implication that there is anything wrong with the ships.

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-many-cruise-ship-passengers-go-overboard-each-year-1250127

Perhaps the cruise industry could mandate catch nets on all ships similar to the picture below showing a suicide net on the Golden Gate Bridge. Thus eliminating any possibility of over boards and accidents that involve cruise workers.

It's probably cheaper to pay off the fools who sue than it is to equip an entire fleet with something like that. In any case, those nets would be hazardous in rough seas.

[/url]

I believe that Carnival accounts for almost 50% of the entire cruise industry, so, that would only make sense that they account for 50% of the dopes that manage to "fall overboard".

They also probably account for 50% of the deaths on cruise ships.

According to Dr. Klein’s statistics, nearly half of all overboard incidents since 2000, or 94 out of 200, have occurred on Carnival ships, including Costa, Cunard, P&O, Princess and Holland America. Royal Caribbean-owned ships have accounted for the next largest number, with 39 incidents over the last 13 years.

How about instead don't even stop and instead let them die. I can't feel sorry for anyone who "accidentally" falls overboard.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I believe that Carnival accounts for almost 50% of the entire cruise industry, so, that would only make sense that they account for 50% of the dopes that manage to "fall overboard".

They also probably account for 50% of the deaths on cruise ships.

Exactly! And Royal Caribbean accounts for the next highest number of passengers carried. It is simply a matter of averages. If a cruise line carries 50% of the passengers, you can expect it to account for 50% of passenger actions, whatever they may be. If it only carried 10% of passengers and accounted for 50% of man overboard situations, then that would be noteworthy.

Edited by boogs

Here is the man overboard list from the web. I count 35 overboards just on Carnival Cruise Lines alone since 2000.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/man_overboard.asp

Please note from the same source:

Males are much more likely to go overboard than females

Carnival passengers (28 incidents) are more likely to go overboard than passengers from other cruise lines...especially passengers on the Carnival Conquest

The average age of a passenger who goes overboard is 41 years

You are most likely to fall overboard on the last night of your cruise

For some reason, people from California and Florida go overboard more than others

Falling overboard does not necessarily mean you will die (10 people have been rescued, one after 18 hours in the water)

Most people who fall overboard are either drunk or doing silly things (climbing on the railing or between cabin balconies)

Thank you for understanding! I had a nephew who had psychological problems all of his young life. One night, after an encounter with several neighborhood kids who repeatedly made fun of his odd behavior, he became increasingly despondent. His family tried to calm him down and called the paramedics for help. Before help arrived, he slipped passed his parents and climbed up on the roof, screaming that he couldn't deal with life anymore. As my sister and her husband begged for their son to come down, he jumped, just as the paramedics arrived. He died three days later from severe internal injuries suffered after hitting a retaining wall two stories down.

I know what it is like to lose someone to suicide, and have made peace with it. It was his decision to jump, no one else's. At the time, in the early 60s, there wasn't the understanding and support system available today to help emotionally unstable people cope with life, especially for young people. Although it was unfortunate that he took his own life, the prospects for his future was bleak.

Sorry for the depressing post. I just wanted to let people know that I am not a cynical, uncaring person.

Edited by swsfrail

Thank you for understanding! I had a nephew who had psychological problems all of his young life. One night, after an encounter with several neighborhood kids who repeatedly made fun of his odd behavior, he became increasingly despondent. His family tried to calm him down and called the paramedics for help. Before help arrived, he slipped passed his parents and climbed up on the roof, screaming that he couldn't deal with life anymore. As my sister and her husband begged for their son to come down, he jumped, just as the paramedics arrived. He died three days later from severe internal injuries suffered after hitting a retaining wall two stories down.

I know what it is like to lose someone to suicide, and have made peace with it. It was his decision to jump, no one else's. At the time, in the early 60s, there wasn't the understanding and support system available today to help emotionally unstable people cope with life, especially for young people. Although it was unfortunate that he took his own life, the prospects for his future was bleak.

Sorry for the depressing post. I just wanted to let people know that I am not a cynical, uncaring person.

Sometimes we read words that come off so cold and heartless, it's nice to know there is more to the story. That person has alcohol to blame for their stupid action and will sober up. Anyone thinking one kind of tragedy is less and not deserving of compassion because of the circumstance is something else in my book. I doubt there will ever peace to be found when a young life is lost. Sorry to hear about your nephew, can never be easy for the parents.

As a poster claimed, an employees jumping is not the same as an idiot, or another, not to stop and let them die, really? So ,one is going to end up less dead, one family is going to hurt less, one PARENT is going to mourn the loss of a child differently. The mental state of a nation needs to be checked if you ask me. She did not value her life, thanks to alcohol, and so many her seems not to value hers, let here die. Some of us are alive despite our less than perfect decision, a few really, really, really dumb ones. The drunk will sober up, the stupi might come to their senses, but the uncaring will show up and evaluate how things happened.

The lawsuit is crazy but no crazier then thinking one tragedy is different due to the circumstance.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish