Wonderful Copenhagen

I will return with some answers, probably tomorrow but my local soccer team starts the season tomorrow so that will take alot of my time as I also have a meeting in our away trips committee before the game.

Edited by Danish viking

Is this our best bet for going to Frederiksborg Castle from central station on Sunday May 31 and then to the airport the next morning? Is there a 24 hour all zone ticket? and is this what we should do. Thank you We also can't figure out the cheapest/best option to get from cruise terminal C330 to central station. I have read the board and understand a taxi may be on option for four of us to split. Is it better to walk to the train station and get the 24 hour pass there and go up to the castle the first day, then just buy a ticket to the airport the next day in the morning? This transportation thing is my only hangup at this point :) Appreciate responses.

Yes you are correct a taxi to the central station would be the best option as no as there is no public transportation announced for the weekends yet from the cruise terminal.

But the city pass will not cover the trip to Hillerød where Frederiksborg Palace is located.

Buy a regular 24 timers billet (24 hour ticket).

It costs 130 kroner and will get you to Hillerød, and depending on what time you should be at the airport the next morning it will also cover that trip.

How many persons are going for Frederiksborg and how many to the airport because I can maybe find a cheaper option for you.

Then I will answer you when I also get back to Chloe's Nana with her questions.

Good afternoon Danish Viking! we will be sailing on Holland America Eurodam on 8/8 out of Copenhagen, doing a stopover again on 8/15 and an overnight on 8/26. Can you give me an idea where the Eurodam will be docked on these dates please?.

Second question: We will be staying at the Hotel Bethel pre cruise for 2 days so we can see your beautiful city. I know we are on the canal so the canal boats are close literally. :) but are we close enough to walk to Tivoli, Rundetaarn (the Round Tower), Stroget, and the Little Mermaid. Any other ideas that close by? We love history and "old stuff". thanks!!:D

The Little Mermaid is only around 20 minutes away.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Hotel+Bethel+S%C3%B8mandshjem,+Nyhavn+22,+1051+K%C3%B8benhavn+K/The+Little+Mermaid,+Langelinie,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%98/@55.6861709,12.5865274,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533d2fb4cf43:0xbb1dd357d932167!2m2!1d12.590963!2d55.679437!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c90eb8d422103:0xdfa8900ca2351e3c!2m2!1d12.599258!2d55.692844!3e2

Tivoli is 25 minutes away on foot along Strøget, Rundetaarn is located at Købmagergade halfway up Strøget.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Hotel+Bethel+S%C3%B8mandshjem,+Nyhavn+22,+1051+K%C3%B8benhavn+K/Tivoli+Gardens,+Vesterbrogade+3,+1630+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6771883,12.5697564,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533d2fb4cf43:0xbb1dd357d932167!2m2!1d12.590963!2d55.679437!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531280f6eaf3:0xd9b50b0db50b27b0!2m2!1d12.568147!2d55.673684!3e2

Rosenborg Palace with the crown Jewels and Amalienborg Palace (the royal residence) is located close by and you can buy a combi ticket for both places.

I've read that the day we dock in Copenhagen, May 16, is a National Holiday, and I am wondering what will be open as far as tourism and transportation. :)

Stores are closed: http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/da/kobenhavn/aabningstider

Tivoli should be open, Amalienborg is open but I don't know about other things.

Public transport buses seems to use Sunday schedule.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/trafikinfo/Pages/korselpasarligedage.aspx

Edited by Desdichado62

All the shops along strøget (and other places) will be closed.

But most of the museums and tourist sites will be open but if there is anything particular I can look it up for you.

The trains and busses are running after the Sunday schedule but they are so frequent that you almost wouldn't notice it.

You are providing a wealth of information..thanks so much for your time and expertise. :)

We will be in town Aug 20-27 then boarding Eurodam. We would like to visit

the castles outside of town as well as Roskilde on day trips, maybe 1 day for each? Would you recommend the 5 day Copenhagen card, or book rail each trip? And does it cover the admissions as well as the trains?

Edited by lulu58

Thank you for all of the useful information.

We have one extra night in Copenhagen after the end of our cruise (with one overnight on the ship, Eurodam).

We will be spending the night at Hilton Copenhagen Airport due to our early departure time. We plan to take a cab to the hotel to check in or at least drop off our luggage.

We want to go to the Kronborg and Fredenborg Castles. There are four of us.

According to google maps it is about a 45 minute drive or a 1 hour 35 minute train ride to Kronborg Castle.

We can rent a car for around $100 US (plus gas). We have a GPS with European maps and aren't really concerned about driving as we have done DIY tours in a rental car in Spain, Germany, and Italy. Do we need an international driver's license for Denmark?

We could also take the train. How much is the train fare?

Which would you recommend?

Edited by PatriciaF

When we booked our cruise I was totally lost as we have never been to Europe but Denmark is our dream , as it is our heritage, we are Sorensen's

We have booked a cruise that sails out of Copenhagen on the Disney Magic ( where does she sail from ?) there are 7 of us , my husband and I ( 60's) my son and his wife (40) 3 grandsons ....8...10...12 , we will fly in on Friday for Saturday sailing and will need a hotel for one night , when we return on Saturday we plan to stay another 2 nights and fly home on Monday . What would be a good hotel for a family with 3 children ? Maybe one that includes breakfast ? Tivoli Gardens a must for us ? Should we stay close by ? Canal Tour a must ? The boys will want to see Castles and Viking Ships , best way to do all this with 2 days . When I found this thread it was heaven !!!! Danish Viking you are an awesome, generous kind resource who it seems is highly appreciated by all of us. We dont come to Denmark til June of 2015 but we all have * Danish Fever * already....thanks for any advice and help to get me started

jan

We have one extra night in Copenhagen after the end of our cruise (with one overnight on the ship, Eurodam).

We will be spending the night at Hilton Copenhagen Airport due to our early departure time. We plan to take a cab to the hotel to check in or at least drop off our luggage.

According to google maps it is about a 45 minute drive or a 1 hour 35 minute train ride to Kronborg Castle.

We can rent a car for around $100 US (plus gas). We have a GPS with European maps and aren't really concerned about driving as we have done DIY tours in a rental car in Spain, Germany, and Italy. Do we need an international driver's license for Denmark?

Regarding drivers license, it seems as it is recommended but not required in Denmark.

You can read for yourself here:

http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/mapstransportation/tp/drivingindenmark.htm

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/Primary/travel/driving+overseas/international+driving+requirements

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/countries/denmark/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189512-i216-k6584479-Do_I_need_an_international_driving_license-Denmark.html

The fare (for one adult, cash ticket) fromKøbenhavns Hovedbanegård to Helsingör station and walk 1.4km from there is about 108DK which is about $20USD.

The train fare (for one adult, cash ticket) fromKøbenhavns Hovedbanegård to Helsingör station and bus from there to about 700m from the castle is also 108DK

The price seems to be discounted by about 50% if you have some form of travel card.

http://www.rejsekort.dk/

When we booked our cruise I was totally lost as we have never been to Europe but Denmark is our dream , as it is our heritage, we are Sorensen's

jan

Hi Jan,

I am also a Sorensen! All my Sorensen ancestors lived in Copenhagen. We will be in Copenhagen 3 days post-cruise at the end of May and I have already marked on my maps the churches where baptisms/marriages took place (Trinity and Our Savior's) and I have addresses where ancestors lived in early 1800's in Christianshavn, according to census records. Doubt that the buildings they lived in are still there but we can walk the area anyway.

Do you have information about your Sorensen ancestors? Perhaps we are related! I grew up in the midwest, too. My email is angellhouse at gmail dot com

Joyce

When I found this thread it was heaven !!!! Danish Viking you are an awesome, generous kind resource who it seems is highly appreciated by all of us. We dont come to Denmark til June of 2015 but we all have * Danish Fever * already....thanks for any advice and help to get me started

jan

We also have a multi-generation Baltic cruise planned for June 2015 and I've just started researching the ports. We overnight in Copenhagen and I'm looking at the best way to see the sights, need to make time to read this whole thread:)

Hello to both of you :)

We can figure this all out together prish.....

And Joyce I will count on you for lots of good tips and information sorry I wasnt around to work through some of this with you ......we are not a big family but wouldnt it be quite something if we are related.....how did you do your ancestry work ? I would love to do some of that and since I am retiring in 9 months I will soon have time. This has been a dream of ours for a long time and staying in Copenhagen for a couple of days after the cruise if huge for us. How did you pick a hotel ? We are in Illinois near Chicago but I think my husbands family has people in Iowa too.

jan

Hello to both of you :)

We can figure this all out together prish.....

And Joyce I will count on you for lots of good tips and information sorry I wasnt around to work through some of this with you ......we are not a big family but wouldnt it be quite something if we are related.....how did you do your ancestry work ? I would love to do some of that and since I am retiring in 9 months I will soon have time. This has been a dream of ours for a long time and staying in Copenhagen for a couple of days after the cruise if huge for us. How did you pick a hotel ? We are in Illinois near Chicago but I think my husbands family has people in Iowa too.

jan

Not to be rude, but this board is for the purpose of Danish Viking sharing useful information, not for people to "chat". There are plenty of other boards for that. Please don't make us read through family histories when we're looking for information.

Not to be rude, but this board is for the purpose of Danish Viking sharing useful information, not for people to "chat". There are plenty of other boards for that. Please don't make us read through family histories when we're looking for information.

I understand completely and did not plan to do any more family history posting, but the only way I know of to contact Jan is with a posting here in hopes that she will email me so we can share a common interest.

Please don't stop, its interesting to read this and hope to see a follow up :D

The reason for my other post was because that I take huge pride in this thread and want to answer the questions myself. :)

Btw I will be back later with the answers.

Edited by Danish viking

Oh for goodness sake, give them a chance. Patience is a virtue!! :D

You are providing a wealth of information..thanks so much for your time and expertise. :)

We will be in town Aug 20-27 then boarding Eurodam. We would like to visit

the castles outside of town as well as Roskilde on day trips, maybe 1 day for each? Would you recommend the 5 day Copenhagen card, or book rail each trip? And does it cover the admissions as well as the trains?

Yes I would allocate 1 day for each trip to Hillerød/Helsingør and Roskilde and Copenhagen Card covers it all.

Perhaps you can buy a 48 houre card and do the trip on 2 consecutive days.

Frederiksborg Palace and Kronborg Castle can easily be done by public transportation.

A oneday transportation ticket costs 130 kroner

And it would be best to visit both places on a regular weekday because public transportation is more frequent.

Take S-train line E to Hillerød

Bus 301 towards Ålholmparken or 302 towards Sophienlund stops at the castle.

Or you can walk all the way in 20 minutes time or take the castle lake ferry from Hillerød torv (market Square) across the lake to the castle.

This ferry is included in the Copenhagen Card.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Hiller%C3%B8d+st/Frederiksborg+Castle,+3400+Hiller%C3%B8d/@55.9306432,12.2947911,15z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x465240b93d48e7eb:0xc29994aeefa81d4e!2m2!1d12.310928!2d55.926923!3m4!1m2!1d12.3012234!2d55.9314105!3s0x465240961a79dc1b:0x9c0f2b3d74338c75!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524097762941e1:0x12c6a634246b6152!2m2!1d12.301272!2d55.934965!3e2

Next step is to take the train to Helsingør where Kronborg is located.

Next to Kronborg is the MS Museet for Søfart (danish maritime museum) that is also included in the Copenhagen Card.

Back to Copenhagen is done by the Øresund train

Traveltime to and from northern zealand is around 45 minutes on both the CPH - Hillerød leg and Helsingør - CPH leg.

Hillerød - Helsingør is around 25 minutes.

Roskilde station is 25-30 minutes away from Copenhagen by train and all trains besides to trains stop at Roskilde.

Its the XX:42 Regional train to Nykøbing F and/or ICE to Berlin or Hamburg and the XX:50 IC Lyn departure to Aarhus or Frederikshavn.

Else its Regional trains to Nykøbing F (XX:11 departure), Ringsted, Holbæk, Kalundborg and the Intercity trains to Sønderborg, Flensburg, Esbjerg, Struer and Aalborg.

From Roskilde its bus 203 to Veddelev that departs at XX:27 and XX:57.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Roskilde.pdf

For transport options you can see the above post

A 24 hour transportation card costs 130 kroner so your car loan sounds like a good deal.

Regarding the driving licence you can use your own in 90 days before its required to have a danish one and it required to be with latin letters and in English or French.

https://www.politi.dk/da/borgerservice/korekort/udenlandsk_koerekort/Udenlandske+korekort+ombytning+og+turistkorekort.htm#SubHeader2

Th.e socalled tourist driving licence is only required if your licence doesn´t follow the before mentioned rules.

We have booked a cruise that sails out of Copenhagen on the Disney Magic ( where does she sail from ?) there are 7 of us , my husband and I ( 60's) my son and his wife (40) 3 grandsons ....8...10...12 , we will fly in on Friday for Saturday sailing and will need a hotel for one night , when we return on Saturday we plan to stay another 2 nights and fly home on Monday . What would be a good hotel for a family with 3 children ? Maybe one that includes breakfast ? Tivoli Gardens a must for us ? Should we stay close by ? Canal Tour a must ? The boys will want to see Castles and Viking Ships , best way to do all this with 2 days . When I found this thread it was heaven !!!! Danish Viking you are an awesome, generous kind resource who it seems is highly appreciated by all of us. We dont come to Denmark til June of 2015 but we all have * Danish Fever * already....thanks for any advice and help to get me started

jan

Thanks for the nice words.

First thing.

The last update for the 2015 cruise list was the 27th of february and it hasn´t been updated with the Disney departures yet but I´m guessing that its C330 Oceankaj (cruise terminal).

The Scandic hotels include breakfast and the Scandic Front (close to canal tours at Nyhavn) seems like a nice hotel and is currently unergoing a renovation.

Else I will suggest Scandic Weber, Scandic Copenhagen, Marriott, Tivoli Hotel, Imperial , Andersen or The Square for hotels located close to Tivoli.

Tivoli is a must with kids and the viking ships museum offers boattrips (for that see my post 2 post above this one)

Thank you for all the helpful information.

Hopefully you can help me with information on:

1: will be arriving on Royal Princess on May 12. Need to take a train to Vildbjerg. Should I go to central station or is there a station closer to the new port which I could go to? Also how do I find out about direct trains? Understand from friends that there are only 2/3 direct trains per day. Otherwise, I have to change trains,which I would rather not due with luggage.

2: returning to Copenhagen on May 16, which I understand is a holiday, will the train schedule change on that day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From Copenhagen Central station you can use the IC Lyn departures towards Struer/Frederikshavn/Aarhus 06:50, 08:50, 10:50, 12:50, 14:50, 15:50 and 16:50.

All these trains has a few wagons (3 I think) that is separated by the rest of the train in Vejle and then continues to Struer and Vildbjerg is a station on that line.

The trip takes 3,5 hour.

Its possible to take bus 26 all the way to the central station from the cruise pier but it takes 40 minutes or so, a taxi takes 10 minutes.

I will look the return date up later when I got the time but its most likely the same schedule because public holidays is big travel days between east and west Denmark.

or you can use rejseplanen.dk there is an English version as well.

Edited by Danish viking