Progreso..... long pier?

mamasue

Hi y'all.....

Off to Progreso on the Fantasy next week.....

Heard about the super-long pier.... do Carnival provide buses....or how do we get to the other end?

There is a very long pier and free transfers are provided.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are taxis available as well? My parents are in their 80s and will have a hard time if the shuttle buses are the only option.

I've been to Progreso about 8 times and don't remember any taxis. I've never found the shuttle buses to be old and cramped. Ours have always been air conditioned-maybe not the best AC but it was there. The ride into town is only 10 minutes or so down the pier. They are owned and operated by AutoProgreso which is one of the tour companies in the area.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Your pier is 4 miles long. There are Free ship to shore shuttles running all day and $10 Taxi rides. The free shuttles will drop you off at one of two random stops in Progreso - either the covered shuttle terminal, which is 3 blocks from the Free beach; or the tented artisans market which is 1 block from the Free beach.

• 1 year later...
Your pier is 4 miles long. There are Free ship to shore shuttles running all day and $10 Taxi rides. The free shuttles will drop you off at one of two random stops in Progreso - either the covered shuttle terminal, which is 3 blocks from the Free beach; or the tented artisans market which is 1 block from the Free beach.

Crazy question...how do you know you are getting on a ride that will drop you off 1 or 3 blocks from the beach? How do you know you aren’t just going to be taken miles and miles away (considering there’s a language barrier and unfamiliarity with the area)

• 1 month later...

A fact about the pier-it is the longest in the world, and can be spotted by the ISS.

I have never not taken an excursion there. Which does pick you up where the ship docks.

Enjoy your cruise, but if your parents are in their 80's, I would not repeat not, just take them into town.

Crazy question...how do you know you are getting on a ride that will drop you off 1 or 3 blocks from the beach? How do you know you aren’t just going to be taken miles and miles away (considering there’s a language barrier and unfamiliarity with the area)

Because these shuttles so JUST that. This is what they were hired for. The reason for two locations is so the busses do not get backed up. You can easily get around, the language barrier is minimal and most people understand English.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

Mamasue

I feels confusing when you've not physically been there before.   But when you get off of the ship and you walk thru the little area of shops, you'll see where the busses pick you up to take you in to port.   It was much simpler than I thought it would be when I went there for the first time.     Biggest thing is to remember where the station is that they drop you off at so you can return to that same place for pickup.   The line for busses to get back can get long towards the end of the day.  Sometimes we get lucky and get on a bus right away.  sometimes we have to wait for the 2nd or 3rd bus to come. 

We've been to Progreso 3 times now.    Honestly we've always just gotten on the bus and I've never even looked around to see if there were taxis to take you into the port.     But we booked a private fishing charter for my husband with an American that lives in Progreso (booked with him last year as well and he was OUTSTANDING) and his email to me this year references the AutoProgreso busses as well stating that most charters pick people up right at the Autoprogreso bus station.      

He also wrote in bold print in his email...…

"To get to us the fastest, try and take a taxi from the ship to the bus station.   they charge $10 for the taxi"

Hope this helps you.    Enjoy!