Now I am torn...two excurions in Skagway, can only pick one.

kathyemma

I was going to sign us up for an ATV Tour but then I saw posting about the Glacier Point Wilderness. Now I don't know what to do.

We are a group of three - mildly active. My daughter (19) just had ankle surgery so we can't hike long distances or go rock climbing but we want to be active. We normally travel with my elderly mother so most of tours are kind of low key. Mom isn't coming this trip so we want to do more active stuff.

The reviews for both trips look good.

We LOVE wildlife.

Option 1. https://skagwayshoretours.com/tour/glacier-point-wilderness-safari/

Option 2.

Skagway Glacier ATV Tour

Leave the typical sightseeing tours behind as you travel up to over 5000 feet on a brand-new Kawasaki Mule ATV to experience life on the edge in remote terrain and visit a hidden glacier!

Board the tour bus for a scenic, 1-hour ride up the White Pass Summit, through Tormented Valley, by the shores of Lake Tutshi. At this point of the Skagway tour, you will stop for photos at Bridal Veil Falls where your tour guide will also provide history and background facts about the area.

Once you arrive at the base of the mountain your professional tour guide will secure you and your group in a Kawasaki Mule ATV that seats 6 with seatbelts. They will safely drive you through 6 miles of stunning tundra, alpine forests and pristine lakes where you may witness caribou climbing up snow covered peaks and prairie dogs scampering about for their next meal. After an approximately 45-minute drive, you will have climbed 3 miles uphill with an elevation gain of about 3000 feet. You will have photo stops throughout as you make your way through the thick forest to above the tree line into alpine tundra. This Skagway ATV tour will expose panoramic views abound throughout the several mountain peaks, Tutshi Lake, and the mining activity.

Visit Paddy's Peak where you will discover the hidden glacier deep in the wilderness at the top. You will be overwhelmed with the over-look of a 10,000-year-old glacier and lake, take a short hike over the rocky terrain to the viewing point. While on the ridge line you might be able to see and hear glacial ice cracking and falling into the waters below. In the beginning of this ATV tour, be sure to rent one of the Go Pro cameras at the beginning of the tour and leave the tour with the memory chip so you can relive the experience.

From the glacier you will next drive to Lake Bennett, approximately 15-minutes away. Be provided magnificent views as you look over the alpine tundra bluff. You will have lunch here as you relax 3000 feet above the lake, overlooking the historic train tracks, and viewing a huge portion of this 25-mile long lake nestled in this rocky tundra.

Descend the mountain and stop at an old mining campsite to explore and learn some history of the mining industry in Alaska. It will be an approximately 1-hour drive back to Skagway on the tour bus and a stop will be made at the "Welcome to Alaska" sign.

Please Note: Your 5-hour tour includes a turkey wrap lunch box with chips, cookies and bottled water or coffee and hot chocolate on cold days. Guests must be at least 8 years of age to participate and not have any heart, neck or back issues. Pregnant women are not permitted to participate. No wheelchair access available. Environmental suits for rainy or colder weather are available. Passport required. Professionally trained guides, including maintenance & CPR training. Satellite phone, First Aid Kits, emergency blankets, and bear spray carried on every trip.

Hello! We were on Explorer of the Seas in September. I originally had the Wilderness Safari booked, and several months before the cruise, I cancelled that and switched to the Skagway ATV Glacier Tour. If seeing wildlife is a priority - know that you might not see a lot. This is always true in Alaska. We did see Dall sheep across the valley. The weather was pretty yucky that day - lots of rain, wind and mist, so that could have affected the wildlife viewing. The excursions are similarly priced (at least I think I remember that), so it will just be the tough decision of which you like more. I will say the ATV as exactly as described. They also provided heavy, waterproof parkas. The only time I got cold was at the top of the mountain where there are no trees to provide a windbreak.

We are going back in 2019 on Radiance, and now I have to decide between the Whitehorse train and the Wilderness Glacier Safari. So, I understand the dilemma!

Sounds like the decision might be made with the flip of a coin!

Hello! We were on Explorer of the Seas in September. I originally had the Wilderness Safari booked, and several months before the cruise, I cancelled that and switched to the Skagway ATV Glacier Tour. If seeing wildlife is a priority - know that you might not see a lot. This is always true in Alaska. We did see Dall sheep across the valley. The weather was pretty yucky that day - lots of rain, wind and mist, so that could have affected the wildlife viewing. The excursions are similarly priced (at least I think I remember that), so it will just be the tough decision of which you like more. I will say the ATV as exactly as described. They also provided heavy, waterproof parkas. The only time I got cold was at the top of the mountain where there are no trees to provide a windbreak.

We are going back in 2019 on Radiance, and now I have to decide between the Whitehorse train and the Wilderness Glacier Safari. So, I understand the dilemma!

I'm in the same"boat" this time. too. It's just so hard to choose ONE. I wouldn't say that the ATV was outstanding, and wasn't one of my "best evers", but it was exactly what they said it would be, and the yucky weather probably contributed to the ick. I am really thinking the Wilderness Safari (which gets good reviews)looks better than the Whitehorse Train, esp since we will be taking the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward.

Let us know what you decide and come back here and share your experiences.

We did the Wilderness Safari and LOVED it!! It's not just about being out in nature, the guides were phenomenal! We saw some wildlife on our boat trip over to the campsite. And then when we got there, we took a small bus ride, like 5 minutes, to their little hut with the gear we needed. Then like a 10 minute walk to the canoes. Then another 15-20 boat ride to the glacier. We were able to walk around the glacier, climb a bit, etc... I talk about it more in my review (in my signature). But truly, we loved this excursion! So much fun with these guys. They basically live out there the entire summer, just a lot of fun.

28794852905_4564c0f56c.jpg

Untitled by Cindy, on Flickr

28717679261_7fa5409546.jpg

28179830683_7d7a68a651.jpg

3 of us by Cindy, on Flickr

28794840255_8c320eb295.jpg

Wow. Your photos are amazing! I need to sit my family down this weekend and have them make a decision.

We did the Wilderness Safari and LOVED it!! It's not just about being out in nature, the guides were phenomenal! We saw some wildlife on our boat trip over to the campsite. And then when we got there, we took a small bus ride, like 5 minutes, to their little hut with the gear we needed. Then like a 10 minute walk to the canoes. Then another 15-20 boat ride to the glacier. We were able to walk around the glacier, climb a bit, etc... I talk about it more in my review (in my signature). But truly, we loved this excursion! So much fun with these guys. They basically live out there the entire summer, just a lot of fun.

28794852905_4564c0f56c.jpg

28717679261_7fa5409546.jpg

28179830683_7d7a68a651.jpg

3 of us by Cindy, on Flickr

28794840255_8c320eb295.jpg

Wow. Your photos are amazing! I need to sit my family down this weekend and have them make a decision.

Thanks! This was probably our favorite excursion. And I'll be honest, the guys working it really make it what it is too. They're just a lot of fun. Oh, and this was our view while eating lunch after we were done. We did the early morning trip...

28794850055_3b56e038c6.jpg

Purple wildflowers by Cindy, on Flickr

Oh, and we had some strawberries we picked in the fields right there...

28794843785_e6351e6a07.jpg

Wild strawberry by Cindy, on Flickr

And these are the boats that you will ride in to get over here.

28510398890_b7e1d14c9b.jpg

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is one of the best tours IMO. No contest. Hopefully your daughter will have recovered by your cruise.

I agree! And I think it surprised me! I wasn't expecting it to be that good. While yes, our helicopter ride on Mendenhall was amazing and breathtaking, the wilderness safari was so much fun!

My husband wanted me to add - stay up close and talk to the guides! It's some different ones each year, some may come back though. We even joked about it being a good place to hide out for awhile. But it really makes a difference by being involved and talking with them. And they're good with the kids too. They'll ask questions and answer any you have.

Okay - am I crazy? Is this possible???? I made my family read each of the descriptions and they couldn't decide either. I was looking at the excursions again and I THINK we can do both. We can take the atv tour starting at 8am. We would be back at the ship at 1pm. We can then take the glacier tour that leaves at 130. we would be back at 730. Our ship sails at 9. So lets assume on board at 830. That would give us one hour to run to Skagway Brewing Co for a beer. Is this totally crazy??? Is there enough downtime during each of the tours so we won't feel like we were running ALL day? Is one hour enough time to grab a beer? Or is this just too much where we won't get to enjoy the stop? I wish we had an overnight here!!!

I can certainly agree with the posts on Wilderness Safari, one of our best excursions ever. A couple more photos to supplement the excellent photos already posted. Just to give you an idea of the bus and hike. Note the hikers on top of the ice on the far right of the glacier photo (that was not us, we did not get to walk on the ice as part of this excursion but certainly got to the face and touched the ice from ground level, etc.)

26303015798_165aeb7985_c.jpg

25304052187_db523afc8d_c.jpg

26303015108_c3f363a7d7_c.jpg

I have done 4 Alaska cruises and have another one set for June. I have done the Glacier Point excursion it was wonderful I really enjoyed it and will definitely do it again at some point, I have not done the atv tour so really can't compare. I have however done the Yukon/Whitehorse pass train and will do it again this summer, this train is a different experience than the Seward/Anchorage train as it is in historical train cars and different scenery, it was also a fun trip as well. My sister has never been to Alaska and I know we have usually seen at least 1 or 2 black bears on the road up to the Yukon, and she really wanted to see wildlife so I went with it again this summer. Glacier Point really was on of my favorites, I may still change my mind before June :)