What's a Martini Clinic?

Cruisin Brenda

I saw this mentioned on another thread and I didn't want to hijack, so thought I'd throw this out there. Is it like a flight of martinis (we had those on a Celebrity cruise and for about $15 got 4 or 5 small martinis that were enough to get the 2 of us pretty tipsy before dinner). Is it offered in all the bars all the time or only certain ones at certain times? Price please? Thanks for any info.

It is an organized event -- once or twice on a 7-day cruise...for $15 get 5-6 different martinis of the bar tender's choice...instructions on making them, and the fun of meeting other like-minded passengers. In most cases a couple can share one "admission" and the drinks.

Just off the Jewel and attended 3 clinics. Each one consisted for 4 different martinis each about 2/3 of an actual martini. Most of them served different martinis except 2 of them at the end had a choclote martini. No free 5th martini like I had on other NCL cruises. Each last about 1/2 hour and costs $15.00 plus 15% tip I think that it was worth it.

I learned the hard way if 2 of you are attending make sure the other person shows up. I was "forced" to drink the other person's martini which was ok except I to meet my mother, my DS and her DH for dinner about a 1/2 hour I finished the 8th martini.

I did 1 of the 3 offered on the Jewel in September. Given 4 for $15. Explained how each drink came to be sort of thing. Very ample servings. Same said for the Margarita tasting and the Mojito tastings I went to as well.

Hope this helps.

Kathy

We love the martini tastings. Very good for the price and very entertaining and informative. I would suggest your don't do back to back tastings; learned that the hard way. I think we had dinner that evening but I can't swear to it.;)

did this on the spirit. we got 5 large martinis in 1 hour time. take my advise and bring someone to share. i saw all the elderly people guzzling them down and followed suit. not used to hard liquer. slept the next 14 hours.not a pleasant experience if your not a hard drinker. my husband doesn't drink so will skip this on dawn.

A martini clinic is big time fun - my favorite organized NCL activity and a great way to meet fun new friends!

The most martinis I've gotten at an NCL clinic was 7 and the least was 5 (they are small, but potent!). It's been offered in the martini bar at a set time on sea days when I've cruised. The price was $15 and 2 people could share.

Tell me all about the Star when you get back! We get to meet her in 2013.:D

When on the Jewel last week we had anywhere from 15-35 people. There is plenty of room at the bar and in in the lounge which is part pf the martini bar. Some of us attended all 3-4 (one was a mojo tasting-which I did not make.) a good time. There was lots of room and was not crowded since there were people who did not attend but was drinking anyway. I think the last sea day was the most crowded but still room

What is the typical amount of people attending the tastings and clinics? Is it crowded in the area where this is offered?

I've been to tastings that were overflowing with 30 to 40 people and I have been to a few where they didn't have enough people to do it (and everything in between). The minimum is 6 people, I believe. One time, the margarita clinic was at the same time so the martini bartender called up to the margarita bar - they were short too so he had those people sent down so we could have a clinic. I can't imagine why they sometimes schedule them at the same time! I hate having to choose. :rolleyes:

Once on the Pearl, we showed up at the margarita bar and no one was there. Even the bartender didn't know that the tasting had been scheduled. I don't how we could have been the only ones to see it in the Freestyle Daily?!?!? :confused: Anyway, he put together a tasting of his favorites on the spot for the 4 of us. Very different from others I've attended where you get some interesting history and information about tequila. But they have ALL been fun!!

I think I also saw a scotch tasting on an old daily - can anyone confirm? We will be on Spirit on Nov 25th and hubby would love that one.

We were on the Jewel last month and they did a whiskey tasting. The bartender said he wanted to do two more whiskey-based tastings (one Irish and one bourbon, if i'm remembering right), but those never came to fruition. The whiskey tasting was very good, though; four glasses for $15, plus the history of each, and why adding water/ice/a twist is a good idea.

When on the Jewel last week we had anywhere from 15-35 people. There is plenty of room at the bar and in in the lounge which is part pf the martini bar. Some of us attended all 3-4 (one was a mojo tasting-which I did not make.) a good time. There was lots of room and was not crowded since there were people who did not attend but was drinking anyway. I think the last sea day was the most crowded but still room

I've been to tastings that were overflowing with 30 to 40 people and I have been to a few where they didn't have enough people to do it (and everything in between). The minimum is 6 people, I believe. One time, the margarita clinic was at the same time so the martini bartender called up to the margarita bar - they were short too so he had those people sent down so we could have a clinic. I can't imagine why they sometimes schedule them at the same time! I hate having to choose. :rolleyes:

Once on the Pearl, we showed up at the margarita bar and no one was there. Even the bartender didn't know that the tasting had been scheduled. I don't how we could have been the only ones to see it in the Freestyle Daily?!?!? :confused: Anyway, he put together a tasting of his favorites on the spot for the 4 of us. Very different from others I've attended where you get some interesting history and information about tequila. But they have ALL been fun!!

Thank you for your replies! I really hope they have one on the Sky.

Thank you for your replies! I really hope they have one on the Sky.

There's a good chance there will be. One thing you can do to improve your chances is attend your roll call's meet and greet. The ship's food and beverage manager will likely be there and it is his decision. Let him know you're interested - no guaranty but it helps especially if there is interest from a number of people. It has worked for us. If he's not at your M+G you can ask how to contact him or just ask the CD to pass the request along.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

There's a good chance there will be. One thing you can do to improve your chances is attend your roll call's meet and greet. The ship's food and beverage manager will likely be there and it is his decision. Let him know you're interested - no guaranty but it helps especially if there is interest from a number of people. It has worked for us. If he's not at your M+G you can ask how to contact him or just ask the CD to pass the request along.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Great idea! I'm going to mention it at our meet and greet. This sounds like a terrific activity for sea days. I love mojitos- hope they have a mojito tasting. If not, I would be happy with the margaritas and/or martinis. Whiskey tasting-not so much.

Just had to share this story.....

Hubby drinks a martini daily before dinner....I drink wine and screwdrivers often enough, but never martinis.

We go to the martini tasting so I try a few and enjoy them....

Next night we booked an upscale restaurant and stopped at the martini bar first. I order a chocolate raspberry martini (yum) and find it's 2 for 1 night!

So of course I drink 2 of them!

We finish our martinis and go to dinner....Suddenly I really feel a bit drunk...my lobster tail arrives and I go to break the shell off.....It flies off the table onto the floor!

SO EMBARRASSED...Morale of the story....Be careful with your martini drinking!

Barbara

I think I also saw a scotch tasting on an old daily - can anyone confirm? We will be on Spirit on Nov 25th and hubby would love that one.

DH's best friend did one the same time I was doing my martini tasting (near end of cruise) on the Jewel. I believe it was 4 different glasses

We were on Jewel 9/10 - 9/17.

The Margarita tasting had at least 20, the Mojito there was 4 of us, the Martini (last sea day) was maybe 7, so definitely hit or miss.

Margarita tasting was frozen strawberry, frozen blue curacao, frozen peach (turned out to be my FAVE), and a golden over ice. Made the mistake of answering a trivia question. Got a straight up shot of tequila with a lime wedge to the shouts of "drink, drink, drink" Silly, my sinus infection felt better after that:D

Archived