Spencer Ambrose new Snorkeling Adventure Tour--Has anyone done this?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:04 AM.
135 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
We are booked on this half day snorkel with Spencer Ambrose Tours for December. Spencer emailed back promptly and we received a confirmation email as well. We initially tried booking with Herod because we've been on his tours before, but no email back from Herod, no reply on his Facebook, and no Tripadvisor reviews on Herod Tours since April, so perhaps Herod is no longer in business. I've been to both Sugar Beach / Jalousie and Anse Chastenet beaches and they are both very beautiful.
CANADA
1,483 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by xvi
We are booked on this half day snorkel with Spencer Ambrose Tours for December. Spencer emailed back promptly and we received a confirmation email as well. We initially tried booking with Herod because we've been on his tours before, but no email back from Herod, no reply on his Facebook, and no Tripadvisor reviews on Herod Tours since April, so perhaps Herod is no longer in business. I've been to both Sugar Beach / Jalousie and Anse Chastenet beaches and they are both very beautiful.
Are you back yet? Wondering how this tour was?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruised
NCL Hawaii 2005
Carnival Western Caribean 2006
Disney Bahamas 2008
Princess L.A. to Van. 2008
Celebrity Panama Canal 2009
Princess Van to Ketchekan 2009
RCL Mexican Riviera 2010!
Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera 2011
Celebrity Equinox Eastern/Southern Caribean 2012!
Emerald Princess Eastern Caribean 2012/13
Golden Princess 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Equinox 2014
Celebrity Solstice 2017 Hawaii
RCL Anthem of the Seas 2018
135 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by merinski
Are you back yet? Wondering how this tour was?
It was good! The snorkel adventure is very much a DIY tour, meaning it’s mostly just transport to and from the beaches and less of a “tour”, but we like that. The guide was friendly and humourous. We left on time. We were quite late getting back, but still plenty of time to browse shops etc
CANADA
1,483 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by xvi
It was good! The snorkel adventure is very much a DIY tour, meaning it’s mostly just transport to and from the beaches and less of a “tour”, but we like that. The guide was friendly and humourous. We left on time. We were quite late getting back, but still plenty of time to browse shops etc
That's great! I am wondering about the boat, is it hard to get in & out of it? do you use a ladder? Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruised
NCL Hawaii 2005
Disney Bahamas 2008
Celebrity Equinox 2014
135 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
No ladder, but one big step onto the dock. The guys will help anyone who needs assistance. I took my grandma on this tour a few years ago so anyone for the most-part able bodied should be ok. I should also note that it’s a speedboat and can go fast / be a bit of a rough ride, which we found a blast Oh and you never get in or out of the water from the boat itself. Always via pier then beach.
CANADA
1,483 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
That's great! Thanks! Looking forward to it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruised
NCL Hawaii 2005
Disney Bahamas 2008
Celebrity Equinox 2014
Connecticut
1,637 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Hey, Merinski! We're on the same sailing. Which tour did you book? For us, it was a toss-up as to the snorkeling only as opposed to the Jalousie Beach Break. Jalousie won, but I'd love to hear what other people thought of this one. We can always change our minds u till the last few days and do a different tour, too.
Connecticut
1,637 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by xvi
How late did you get back? And do you know why you were so late? Did you do the early one or the later?

How much time did you get in each spot? And were the two beaches comparable in snorkeling quality? Sorry for all the questions - i'm obviously curious. Still on the fence as to which tour I want to do.
135 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by Birdnutty
How late did you get back? And do you know why you were so late? Did you do the early one or the later?

How much time did you get in each spot? And were the two beaches comparable in snorkeling quality? Sorry for all the questions - i'm obviously curious. Still on the fence as to which tour I want to do.
The two tours are very similar. The snorkeling tour you’re more or less left to your own devices and lunch is not included. That was about the only difference between the two tours. I say “late” because it was supposed to be 4 hour, half day, and ended up being closer to 6 hours. It was fine w us as more time at the beach... and we ended up getting basically the full day for the cheaper price. It was roughly 2 plus hours at each beach, plus about 40 minutes each way in transport. No specific reason we were late, just very laid back, and nobody was complaining lol. In other words, don’t book anything for the afternoon after this tour, as return times are “flexible”.

Anse Chastenet has beautiful black sand and a lovely fringe of palms. The water is clearer. There is a wider variety of fish, and more fish to see, at least on the day of our tour.

Jalousie / Sugar beach is a crescent surrounded by mountains. The view is stunning. The water is less clear and it is rocky getting in and out, but when you get into deeper water you will see massive coral formations. Massive.
NYC
791 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
We just did the Land, Sea and Beach day with Spencer and the folks that did the Anse Chastenet plus Jalousie snorkel were on the same boat we were - we dropped them at Anse Chastenet on the way to Soufričre and they rejoined us while we were ending our trip at Jalousie, so their tour was also a full day as others have indicated.

IMO, the snorkel only tour is a better way to go, especially if you like some independence. You aren't missing much by missing the volcano or mud baths, and you're not missing ANYTHING by missing the lunch - it was extremely meager and the food was poorly cooked. We would have vastly preferred to be on our own to stop into a local restaurant. Live and learn!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

USA
1,296 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by Alsmez
We just did the Land, Sea and Beach day with Spencer and the folks that did the Anse Chastenet plus Jalousie snorkel were on the same boat we were - we dropped them at Anse Chastenet on the way to Soufričre and they rejoined us while we were ending our trip at Jalousie, so their tour was also a full day as others have indicated.

IMO, the snorkel only tour is a better way to go, especially if you like some independence. You aren't missing much by missing the volcano or mud baths, and you're not missing ANYTHING by missing the lunch - it was extremely meager and the food was poorly cooked. We would have vastly preferred to be on our own to stop into a local restaurant. Live and learn!
Thank you for your input. I just booked with them yesterday wanting to do the mud bath. Could you explain why you didn't like the mud bath? Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NYC
791 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Nhsaltshaker
Thank you for your input. I just booked with them yesterday wanting to do the mud bath. Could you explain why you didn't like the mud bath? Thanks.
Actually, I shouldn't have mentioned the mud baths, as we elected to do the volcano tour instead. The volcano portion was fine but nothing I'd go out of my way for, and the mud bath people didn't have much time before we were all shuffled off to a very crowded waterfall. The mud bath folks on our tour seemed to enjoy it, although there was a lot of consternation about how dirty it made their bathing suits. Um...it's mud!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection