Restaurants Old San Juan

BNBR

Hi All. I'm not very familiar with Old San Juan and we will be docked for the evening. I was considering having dinner off the ship. Are there any restaurants within a reasonable walk that are the "must do" type places? Fine dining, casual, doesn't matter and I'm not concerned about pricing. Just thinking if anything famous or special that is worth hopping off the ship for.

I was thinking Marmalade from Trip Advisor searching, but I'd like to hear from others who may be more familiar with the area.

Since I'm local to Puerto Rico I am not allowed to point to specific businesses. But if you want local dishes you should try Mofongo (ripe plantains fried and mashed with a bit of oil and garlic). It is THE go-to dish in PR. You can have it stuffed with things like shrimp, chicken, skirt steak and fried pork pieces. or you can have it alone, on the side with basically anything you want. Usually you can also pair it with one of three things: Garlic sauce, creole sauce, chimichurry or chicken broth.

Read a bit further into the San Juan forum as there are some threads with suggestions where you'll see a couple of names repeat a few times and you'll get an idea. There are some "gimmicky" places with local food but if you can't get your answers here, just ask the locals or taxi drivers (just don't let them talk you into taking you there!) near the port and they will point you in the right direction.

Hi All. I'm not very familiar with Old San Juan and we will be docked for the evening. I was considering having dinner off the ship. Are there any restaurants within a reasonable walk that are the "must do" type places? Fine dining, casual, doesn't matter and I'm not concerned about pricing. Just thinking if anything famous or special that is worth hopping off the ship for.

I was thinking Marmalade from Trip Advisor searching, but I'd like to hear from others who may be more familiar with the area.

Agree with Marmalade, but you must take the wine pairing menu, with pre-dinner drinks at Mezzanine (long, long happy hour)

Book Marmalade well in advance.

Thank you Stinger for the suggestion. I HATE plantains but sometimes I'm willing to just roll with it when trying new things. I may give that a shot earlier as a lunch/snack. Is there a unique rule to just the Puerto Rico forum where you can make suggestions for specific restaurants? I participate a lot on other forums and everyone suggests places by name. As long as you aren't new and pimping out one specific place on your posts, I don't think the moderators care about good, honest suggestions.

Thank you PORT ROYAL. I think I'm going to book Marmalade when the reservations open up for my date. I always take the wine pairings!

Since I'm local to Puerto Rico I am not allowed to point to specific businesses....

I am confused. I would prefer to hear the opinion of the locals. Where did you read that you could not refer specific restaurants because you happen to live there?

I am confused. I would prefer to hear the opinion of the locals. Where did you read that you could not refer specific restaurants because you happen to live there?

One may be wrong, but think the poster either owns, or is employed by, a Restaurant. Therefore, they are not allowed to advertise their establishment on CC. Neither do they wish to advertise, or promote, the "opposition".

Just one's thoughts.

One may be wrong, but think the poster either owns, or is employed by, a Restaurant. Therefore, they are not allowed to advertise their establishment on CC. Neither do they wish to advertise, or promote, the "opposition".

Just one's thoughts.

Good point.

Agree with Marmalade, but you must take the wine pairing menu, with pre-dinner drinks at Mezzanine (long, long happy hour)

Book Marmalade well in advance.

Do you know How far in advance can one book Marmalade? I just tried for late November and it is too far out, however I cannot find when I am able to do so?

Thank you

I’m originally from Puerto Rico and my favorite is El Patio de Sam on Calle San Sebastián. Very casual, authentic food. Service is slow, as is probably the case in most places (island time), but excellent. Desserts are really yummy.

Do you know How far in advance can one book Marmalade? I just tried for late November and it is too far out, however I cannot find when I am able to do so?

Thank you

Strange, usually no problem up to a year in advance, but have you tried to contact/book them via Facebook or try booking via

https://www.opentable.co.uk/marmalade-restaurant-and-wine-bar

Go for the 6 course pairing menu,

Okay, I have been looking at Mofongo restaurants and find that many use Yucca instead of Plantains. Thoughts? Some menus are not clear and my husband would be so disappointed if they were not made from plantains. Thanks for any specific Plantain recommendations. Also email aquidneck70 at gmail dot com if you cannot post. We are staying in the Condado Vanderbilt. Thanks!