Cunard Queen Elizabeth due in NZ on Friday

Esilef

The Cunard Queen Elizabeth is due to be in New Zealand on Friday (Auckland) and bay of islands on Saturday.

I’m closely watching cyclone Gita.

Do you think that the QE will make it in or will they sail for Sydney?

The ships Webcam is down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is this the cruise that your Dad is on Esilef? You know the one who didn't like cruising :D

I do remember something from years ago that the two Queens are ocean liners and can go through the ruff stuff unlike other cruise ships which go around it.

I hope my memory is correct, if not somebody else feel free to correct me or add futher details.

Marine traffic is showing it as having left Tahiti going towards New Zealand. You can follow the ship at Marine Traffic if the camera remains down.

In any case the captain will keep the ship, crew and passengers safe and plot a course to keep out of the rough seas for the comfort of all on board.

Yes that’s the cruise that my father & brother are on. I’ve been watching them sail via the Internet.

Hope it’s not too rough out there for them.

Worried Dad will be “grumpy grandad” on his return

I was chatting with friends onboard yesterday afternoon and they were oblivious to anything to do with TC Gita - so it’s not something being raised officially onboard. They are due in Auckland on Friday morning then onto the Bay of Islands

They did say they had been experiencing reasonably heavy seas but nothing unmanageable

OzkiwiJJ is correct - QE is not an ocean liner and according to my friends doesn’t handle seas particularly well

Edited by Bodogbodog

Both weather and wave forecasts look reasonable for Friday and Saturday. Possible showers in Auckland but it should be a nice day in the Bay of Islands. Crossing back across the Tasman could be a bit bouncy but nothing too serious.

Queen Elizabeth isn't an ocean liner, just a regular cruise ship. QM2 is the only ocean liner in the Cunard fleet.

Is this the cruise that your Dad is on Esilef? You know the one who didn't like cruising :D

I do remember something from years ago that the two Queens are ocean liners and can go through the ruff stuff unlike other cruise ships which go around it.

I hope my memory is correct, if not somebody else feel free to correct me or add futher details.

Marine traffic is showing it as having left Tahiti going towards New Zealand. You can follow the ship at Marine Traffic if the camera remains down.

In any case the captain will keep the ship, crew and passengers safe and plot a course to keep out of the rough seas for the comfort of all on board.

QM2 is a true ocean liner built for he Atlantic, QE and QV are really modified Vista Class ships, much the same as Arcadia and some of the HAL ships, good but not great in big seas.

QM2 is a true ocean liner built for he Atlantic, QE and QV are really modified Vista Class ships, much the same as Arcadia and some of the HAL ships, good but not great in big seas.

Thanks for clearing that up. I do get things muddled up these days.

The same hull and outer design as many of the Costa ships as well,

The same hull and outer design as many of the Costa ships as well,

Yep, Costa has Vista Class. QE built by Fincanteri, Italia, launched 2010. The company have several shipbuilding yards over there. They have one near Venice, saw a big Costa ship being built there some years ago. Many Carnival Brand ships built by Fincanteri.

Edited by NSWP

Is radiance of the seas a vista class ship? Dad seemed to think that they were similar

No Radiance is in a class of its own..built by Meyer Werft in Germany.

Radiance of the Seas is the flagship of the Radiance class, which includes MS Jewel of the Seas, MS Brilliance of the Seas and MS Serenade of the Seas.

Radiance of the Seas is the flagship of the Radiance class, which includes MS Jewel of the Seas, MS Brilliance of the Seas and MS Serenade of the Seas.

Beautiful ship design too these Radiance Class

Yes nice class of ship, they look like a ship, not a floating block of flats, good size for cruising too.:p

Meyer Werft has built some great ships for many Shipping Lines over a couple of hundred years.

Edited by NSWP

Good to see they have got a nice day to visit. Just spoke to some friends onboard and it’s their first visit to NZ so they’re very excited. They’re doing the Hop On Hop Off bus to get an idea of things, and will probably stop off at the Museum. They’re coming back next year on Crystal Serenity on its WC

Spoke to Dad & my brother. It’s been a bit rough out on the seas at times but nothing too bad. They are enjoying the activities on board and today they did a winery tour.

I think my father is now a cruise convert...