Norwegian Dawn re-positioning November 3, 2017

Sunseeker810

How close to cruise date before we know about getting home? The damage to Puerto Rico is beyond belief. This is not a place for tourists to be. We would be in the way of valuable help. I have tried calling, but got no where. Other cruise lines are putting changes on their sites.

I am concerned as well. I have a flight out on the 17th - was staying the week in Puerto Rico. I can't imagine I would be staying now but I don't want to have two change fees - changing to Sunday and then changing possibly to a different location! All the Jetblue non-stops on Sunday are already sold out. The other flights are more than what I paid for the Friday flight. Just so painful waiting to hear. I know that might get me some 'remarks' but sorry I can't help wishing we at least could know where we are going.

I had already booked my flight from SJU back to Toronto on the 12th...how do we find out if we are still disembarking there? NCL wont or cant let me know....learned a lot about their customer service, no more NCL for me or my friends, I realize its a disaster and I don't come first, the people affected are much more important and we pray for them. Just a little update would help if possible rather than getting rude push back from customer service agents, hope they play back those tapes and use them for learning purposes. If I had my choice I would prefer to delay our cruise, but the bottom line couldn't afford all those re bookings...

I have a flight into SJ, Nov.11th, suppose to sail 12th. Have called three times, Nothing. Same script, same song,"will contact within two weeks". Well. i'm praying their contact is a cancellation. Most of the islands, not only PR, that ships dock aren't ready for cruisers. Only and a handful. Islands need time to access and rebuild before accepting visitors. What i don't understand is that RCCL immediately changed ports from the damaged ones, once storms where gone. NCL has ONE, ONE ship cruising So. Caribbean. Cancel it or get updates to us so we can make arrangements. Saying this, i understand it takes planning, time, etc. to reschedule. I feel since the Dawn goes to Western Car. mid. Jan. that's where the ship will reposition. No cancellation more than likely. Just tell us, please.........

I had a conversation with a VP at NCL and found out this information. Since their San Juan cruises are not until the middle of November, they are still evaluating the situation. The earliest we can hear about the re-position cruise will be nid-October. My cruise is December 3rd and was told that would be a good time for us to determine if SJ is an option. Other cruise lines have cancel cruises that begin at SJPR for the month of October.

The airport is running on a limited schedule, 12 flights total are being managed. Right now there is little to no communication on how the piers have weather the storms, just a general statement that they were hit hard and not able to accept cruise ships.

In addition the hotels that are able to have customers are housing emergency support folks From the PR Tourist website is a list of hotels and their status. Most of them are not accepting reservation until the end of October.

Just yesterday, NCL posted on their site about the ability to re-book and they are flexible on getting this done. I can tell you that when I first contacted them the re-booking without cancellation fees was not offered. So they are hearing and listening to the customers request. They are being quiet and I hope they offer the same offers as other cruise lines.

My next cruise maybe on Celebrity. They have been proactive providing excellent customer service and providing updated sailing, offering refunds and discounted cruises within the next year. I believe they have done the modification to the sailing through the end of the year. I wish all the other cruise lines would provide this service. We the customer have more than just the cruise cost. There is flight, hotel, pre-cruise events that we have to manage.

I had already booked my flight from SJU back to Toronto on the 12th...how do we find out if we are still disembarking there? NCL wont or cant let me know....learned a lot about their customer service, no more NCL for me or my friends, I realize its a disaster and I don't come first, the people affected are much more important and we pray for them. Just a little update would help if possible rather than getting rude push back from customer service agents, hope they play back those tapes and use them for learning purposes. If I had my choice I would prefer to delay our cruise, but the bottom line couldn't afford all those re bookings...

It really doesn't have much to do with the customer service. I mean don't kill the messenger.

What can they tell you when the management hasn't figured out what to do?

I also totally agree.

PR is in the middle of a huge humantarian crisis. No water, limited food as many crops were wiped out and they are running out of fuel.

All of the things mentioned above need to be shipped to the island. Power grid destroyed beyond repair. They are going to have to rebuilt the entire power grid for the whole island which will take months. Can't do cleanup with no electricity, but we are still ok for Nov. Many major cruise lines have cancelled and/or changed the disembarkation port thru early next year (2018). What is taking NCL so long to respond and let people know.

I also totally agree.

PR is in the middle of a huge humantarian crisis. No water, limited food as many crops were wiped out and they are running out of fuel.

All of the things mentioned above need to be shipped to the island. Power grid destroyed beyond repair. They are going to have to rebuilt the entire power grid for the whole island which will take months. Can't do cleanup with no electricity, but we are still ok for Nov. Many major cruise lines have cancelled and/or changed the disembarkation port thru early next year (2018). What is taking NCL so long to respond and let people know.

I am sure what is taking them so long is that they do not want to go ahead and make a premature decision. I am booked on the Dawn for the end of December out of San Juan. I would prefer they would not simply change our embarkation port to somewhere else without having a clue if the port in San Juan will be ready. Due to my limited time when I can cruise, I cannot simply cancel and go a different week. We have invested about $5000 into flights and a hotel in San Juan. If NCL were to simply change a few of our ports, that would not be a big deal. Changing the embarkation is a huge deal. Many of us would cry foul if they did this 3 months before the cruise having no idea what shape the port/city will be in that far away. I am sure they would have tons of claims such as ours for items other than the cruise itself if they were to change the embarkation port. They need to wait a bit to see how things progress in the next couple of weeks.

I understand how anxious you must be since your sailing is about a month away, but you are not expected in San Juan for about a month an a half from now. NCL needs to let the dust settle in San Juan before making a premature decision.

From all of the devastation PR has taken, IMHO it will be at least 6 months before any cruise ship gets into San Juan. My guess is the Dawn will sail out of Florida (Miami, or Tampa).

Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas docked in San Juan today bringing relief supplies and some returning residents. I read it might be evacuating some employees' families too.

There's a lot of BS in the media on the situation there (surprise!), at present the main problems are in the distribution of the received supplies not the lack of supplies themselves. (Infrastructure repair/rebuild assumed ongoing)

Edited by pspercy

I had a conversation with a VP at NCL and found out this information. Since their San Juan cruises are not until the middle of November, they are still evaluating the situation. The earliest we can hear about the re-position cruise will be nid-October. My cruise is December 3rd and was told that would be a good time for us to determine if SJ is an option. Other cruise lines have cancel cruises that begin at SJPR for the month of October.

The airport is running on a limited schedule, 12 flights total are being managed. Right now there is little to no communication on how the piers have weather the storms, just a general statement that they were hit hard and not able to accept cruise ships.

In addition the hotels that are able to have customers are housing emergency support folks From the PR Tourist website is a list of hotels and their status. Most of them are not accepting reservation until the end of October.

Just yesterday, NCL posted on their site about the ability to re-book and they are flexible on getting this done. I can tell you that when I first contacted them the re-booking without cancellation fees was not offered. So they are hearing and listening to the customers request. They are being quiet and I hope they offer the same offers as other cruise lines.

My next cruise maybe on Celebrity. They have been proactive providing excellent customer service and providing updated sailing, offering refunds and discounted cruises within the next year. I believe they have done the modification to the sailing through the end of the year. I wish all the other cruise lines would provide this service. We the customer have more than just the cruise cost. There is flight, hotel, pre-cruise events that we have to manage.

NCL is a joke i am on the 11/12 out of san juan cruising with wife and 18 month old there is no way i am bringing them down to puerto rico it is just not safe. Every time you call them they give you the same BS line we are assessing the damage. I even asked to be moved over to the escape and they can keep the price difference and they say no. I have till 10/12 to cancel still with in the 75 percent penalty and then file a claim to get a credit back since i have insurance. I do not see how this or any cruise will leave from perto rico anytime soon they keep saying how safety is there top priority how do yo expect people to go down there. This is the last time i will cruise with them it is a total joke

Just read where as of this morning Carnival has not made a decision on the Vistas itinerary for next weekend. So it is not just NCL. RCI just announced that their ship leaving this weekend is not cancelled. While it is for humanitarian reasons it still left people with short term notice that their vacation was over.

To be honest I would normally be a wreck about all of this but im not. Im going with the flow. My husband had a stroke earlier this year and people on the islands are suffering. It kind of puts my problems of vacation into prospective. Once they announce what is happening I will deal with the issues at hand

Hang in there everyone.

Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas docked in San Juan today bringing relief supplies and some returning residents. I read it might be evacuating some employees' families too.

There's a lot of BS in the media on the situation there (surprise!), at present the main problems are in the distribution of the received supplies not the lack of supplies themselves. (Infrastructure repair/rebuild assumed ongoing)

I agree with you completely, with repair/rebuild ongoing, it will be along time before passengers can enjoy the island again.

Just did my daily call to NCL. I don't even know why they answer the phone. They should just play a tape that says "we don't know anything". Wear something real comfortable on the day we dock, because God only knows how many days that we will be on the floor at the airport.

Just did my daily call to NCL. I don't even know why they answer the phone. They should just play a tape that says "we don't know anything". Wear something real comfortable on the day we dock, because God only knows how many days that we will be on the floor at the airport.

Honestly, I know you are anxious and I understand that, but the email we received (on 9/19) said they wouldn't have information for two weeks. That means they should have information next week.

Unfortunately, calling them daily isn't going to speed them along.

I just called Norweigan and was advised that they in the final stages of confirming the ports for our 9 day cruise. I asked if we will still be leaving from Boston as there are many people that have not booked flights yet. The response I received was "probably". They advised that we should receive notification by email by the end of the week of the itinerary for our cruise.

Do you think we will get anything extra from Norweigan - like a shore or ship credit?

I just called Norweigan and was advised that they in the final stages of confirming the ports for our 9 day cruise. I asked if we will still be leaving from Boston as there are many people that have not booked flights yet. The response I received was "probably". They advised that we should receive notification by email by the end of the week of the itinerary for our cruise.

Do you think we will get anything extra from Norweigan - like a shore or ship credit?

Why wouldn't we leave from Boston? They aren't going to take an empty ship to a different embarkation port.