confused Affidavit form NCL Sky, no tours planned

fvandewouwer

I read several post saying that "Support for the Cuban People is the appropriate choice"

but

our TA said to fill in " Educational exchanges - group people to people through Norwegian or other organization.

We are not doing a tour and plan to walk around on our own, we know Havanna have been there for a couple of days about 16 years ago

can anyone who has done the NCL Sky and has explores Havana on their own please let me know what to fill in on the form as we do not want to have any trouble leaving the ship.( we bought our visa through NCL )

thanks

Frieda

They give you the visa document when you check in, just ask then what they want. As I recall it didn’t matter, I checked several boxes on the form, as if I’m going to hang on to it for 5 years...

16 years ago? Don’t worry, nothing has changed lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

thanks, I keep on getting emails from NCL that I need to book an excursion so I can get off the ship in Cuba, as they put it on paper without an excursion I will be stuck on the ship …. :o

As a reminder, you can travel to Cuba under the people-to-people authorized travel category under the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). To do so, you must maintain a full-time schedule of educational exchange activities intended to enhance contact with the Cuban people. ????

so I got a little confused

They give you the visa document when you check in, just ask then what they want. As I recall it didn’t matter, I checked several boxes on the form, as if I’m going to hang on to it for 5 years...

16 years ago? Don’t worry, nothing has changed lol.

thanks, I keep on getting emails from NCL that I need to book an excursion so I can get off the ship in Cuba, as they put it on paper without an excursion I will be stuck on the ship …. :o

This site details OFAC requirements, and also puts to bed some specific cruise line claims: http://forums.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/t/people-to-people-p2p-tours-and-the-cruise-line-spin/23741

Unless you read carefully all the information on NCL's certification form, you will be mislead into believing there is only one option. In fact there are many options and I regard P2P as generally the worst choice unless you do nothing other than the cruise line tours.

This site details OFAC requirements, and also puts to bed some specific cruise line claims: http://forums.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/t/people-to-people-p2p-tours-and-the-cruise-line-spin/23741

Unless you read carefully all the information on NCL's certification form, you will be mislead into believing there is only one option. In fact there are many options and I regard P2P as generally the worst choice unless you do nothing other than the cruise line tours.

I have read all information even used google translate there is nothing that matches our reason to visit Cuba, what is your suggestion ?

I have read all information even used google translate there is nothing that matches our reason to visit Cuba, what is your suggestion ?

You are making this a lot more difficult that it needs to be, just check

515.565(b) - Educational exchanges - individual people-to-people.

515.565(b) - Educational exchanges - group people-to-people through Norwegian or other organization.

That covers you for just walking around talking to people or if you decide to book an NCL or private tour.

thanks, was never my intention to make it difficult.

have a great day

515.565(b) - Educational exchanges - group people-to-people through Norwegian or other organization.

That covers you for just walking around talking to people or if you decide to book an NCL or private tour.

Educational exchanges - individual people-to-people no longer exists as an option. Check group people-to-people if you want, but Support For The Cuban People is still the best option if you're just planning on walking around.

It really doesn't matter though.

The visa and the OFAC form are two totally different things. For the visa, you just fill in name, passport #, DOB, etc.

The OFAC form is where you must choose P2P, SFTCP or whatever the agents at the pier want. I think NCL has you complete the OFAC form on line. Royal had guests print the form and complete it. Then the pier agents argue with passengers (they don't know the rules, they're doing what they are told to do). I had 2 sets, and turned in the one they insisted on. I didn't feel like arguing.

But, almost everyone confuses OFAC and visa and they are entirely different. (As a side note, Cuba doesn't give a rat's behind what you do once you get off the ship! No one cares, no one checks)

• Like 1

so this is clear to me, visa was ordered through NCL just paid for it and it will be ready ' I hope ' as soon we board the ship in Miami.

the OFAC is something I got a reminder of NCL to fill in online and send a copy to them ' on line ' so my TA said to fill in educational group P2P

but then I started reading some threads about people not getting off the ship etc, so I got worried

I will also bring a blanc paper in case they need something different and hope there will be no argument.

When we left Cuba so many years ago ' that was a group tour all around Cuba ' entering from Europe was no issue at all but leaving was something else, they let my husband go through the customs and put me aside as I was a crook, police came I felt really embarrassed. The issue was that I had bought cigares and did not have the bill anymore. Long story, they wanted money I refused so after a very long discussion 'and I kept calm' saying they needed to check the hotel paperbasket, just before our flight left, they let me go. My husband almost got himself in trouble as he started arguing with another officer with the help of our tour guide who spoke Spanish ' they were put in another room ' Well all ended well and

this was more than 16 years ago but i will never forget the look on the face of that police officer when I refused not paying him to let me go.

Now, so many years later, this is a great story, it was not at that time so I want to board the ship and leave the ship without having a gun pointed on me ;p

The visa and the OFAC form are two totally different things. For the visa, you just fill in name, passport #, DOB, etc.

The OFAC form is where you must choose P2P, SFTCP or whatever the agents at the pier want. I think NCL has you complete the OFAC form on line. Royal had guests print the form and complete it. Then the pier agents argue with passengers (they don't know the rules, they're doing what they are told to do). I had 2 sets, and turned in the one they insisted on. I didn't feel like arguing.

But, almost everyone confuses OFAC and visa and they are entirely different. (As a side note, Cuba doesn't give a rat's behind what you do once you get off the ship! No one cares, no one checks)

so this is clear to me, visa was ordered through NCL just paid for it and it will be ready ' I hope ' as soon we board the ship in Miami.

the OFAC is something I got a reminder of NCL to fill in online and send a copy to them ' on line'

Good to know NCL's practice. We are going to Cuba on Oceania which is also a NCL company. We haven't been told to send them the form and send it to Oceania online yet. I read that people fill out the form and hand them over prior to getting onboard. From what I have found different cruise lines append different wording to the state department category codes - may be the intention is to clarify or may be the intention is to confuse people to encourage them to take cruise line's excursions.

The forms do not go to the US government. They are kept by the cruise line for their records.

so my TA said to fill in educational group P2P

Your TA is right to check off "educational group P2P" category ONLY if you are taking an NCL excursion or with the new regulation "US citizens interested in this sort of exchanges with the Cuban people, now need to go to Cuba as part of a group organized by a US organization that promotes this sort of educational people-to-people exchanges." See http://www.authenticubatours.com/us-legal-cubatravel.htm.

Private tour companies are likely NOT a US organization. If you are going to be just walking around by yourself or taking a private tour in Cuba you should be checking off the "

515.574Support for the Cuban people" category.

See the LONG post here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k11001795-Support_for_the_Cuban_people_itinerary-Cuba.html

but then I started reading some threads about people not getting off the ship etc, so I got worried

I will also bring a blanc paper in case they need something different and hope there will be no argument.

When we left Cuba so many years ago ' that was a group tour all around Cuba ' entering from Europe was no issue at all but leaving was something else, they let my husband go through the customs and put me aside as I was a crook, police came I felt really embarrassed. The issue was that I had bought cigares and did not have the bill anymore. Long story, they wanted money I refused so after a very long discussion 'and I kept calm' saying they needed to check the hotel paperbasket, just before our flight left, they let me go. My husband almost got himself in trouble as he started arguing with another officer with the help of our tour guide who spoke Spanish ' they were put in another room ' Well all ended well and

this was more than 16 years ago but i will never forget the look on the face of that police officer when I refused not paying him to let me go.

Now, so many years later, this is a great story, it was not at that time so I want to board the ship and leave the ship without having a gun pointed on me ;p

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

This is a good page https://www.viahero.com/travel-to-cuba/people-to-people-vs-support-the-cuban-people

My suggestion is to make copies of some of the above documents referring what people to people travel means and have a short itinerary on hand prior to getting on board. Also it may help to write some notes on where you've been and be prepared to show the boarder agent on entry back to the US. It may be important to show that you know what the regulations and you have proof that you adhere to them.

I found this good post on TripAdvisor - sorry I didn't keep the link:

Re: Support for the Cuban People Itinerary

May 24, 2018, 5:51 PM

Just got back and do not let royal carribean convince you that you have to do their tours! You do not !! They gave us a bit of hard time at first! They put us in a room and had their manager come talk to us! They did try to intimidate me at first! But I had all my homework done, I knew what to say and I had my itinerary typed and ready to show them! In the end another manager came with the visas and our sail passes plus VIP stuff while on the boat and with an apology because we were stuck in that room for about half an hour waiting to see if we are getting in or not!

You can legally get off the boat by checking the number 4 choice, specifically support for the Cuban people, on the paperwork they will provide! That means you will have to do certain things while you are there and will have to be ready to show them if they ask!! Basically eat at local owned restaurants - paladares (look up a few on line) support the arts (go to a few museums, take a dance lesson, but art from local artists- visit Fusterlandia, plenty of art there), take a vintage car tour with a private owned car (check the drivers in parque central) . Avoid the government owned businesses! On the way back nobody asked any questions what so ever, but I kept all receipts!

By the way people that did the tours said they were miserable! Ugh can’t imagine being dragged around for 7 hours! We even stayed the night in Havana and did not return to the ship until it left except to change! No questions asked while in and out the boat!

Have fun!! I

Educational exchanges - individual people-to-people no longer exists as an option. Check group people-to-people if you want, but Support For The Cuban People is still the best option if you're just planning on walking around.

May be true but its still on the NCL version of the form included with the cruise docs.

Say hi to Arnold! :)

If you have chosen People to People as your OFAC authorisation then whoever is arranging your "educational activities" can be asked to provide all details about your activities and expenditure in Cuba. In other words, If you choose P2P you do not have to personally be responsible for any record keeping (eg an itinerary).

We traveled last week on NCL Sky. We filled out the paperwork and submitted it online. We checked Support for the Cuban People. When we arrived at Miami port they gave us our visas at check in.

When we arrived in Havana besides our personal items, we needed our ship key card, visa and passport to exit the ship. We needed the key card to get off the ship and get in line for Immigration. Then Immigration checked and stamped our passport and took the visa. No questions were asked. We went through security where they scanned your bags and you went through a metal detector. Next was currency exchange and then we were out the door.

If the lines are too long at the currency exchange they have some currency exchange buildings in the square by the post office

Once outside we met an independent tour guide and were on our way. Later that afternoon we went back to the ship and Immigration had closed down. There was a security check point coming back on the ship, but they were only taking water bottles away and directing you to check your liquor with them. When we exited the ship a little later we just walked off the ship and through the building, there was no immigration, just a small security check.

We just returned from the Oceania Sirena which stopped in Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago.

We checked off "Support the Cuban People" on the affidavit and then hired private guides for each port. Oceania processed the documents, charged the fee to our ship account, and had the visa ready for us when we embarked. No problem.

The only time there was a line through immigration was when the ship's excursions were leaving the ship. Since there were so many people leaving at the same time, obviously a line formed. Because we had private guides, we set a time to meet them a little later than the excursions so we did not have to deal with the large groups leaving the ship. When we were ready to leave, we just walked through immigration and handed them our passports and visas. They looked at the passports and visas, then looked at us, then handed our documents back to us and off we went. That was it. Absolutely no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 10:29 AM, FredZiffle said:

Very true!

• 2 weeks later...

So you can just walk off the ship without a paid excursion (to do the people to people?

I am guessing that part has changed since i started looking into cruising to Cuba.

Last i looked you could NOT just walk around.  As an american we can not go to Cuba as a tourist    but could go there for education.  (did this change?)

2 hours ago, serene56 said:

So you can just walk off the ship without a paid excursion (to do the people to people?

I am guessing that part has changed since i started looking into cruising to Cuba.

Last i looked you could NOT just walk around.  As an american we can not go to Cuba as a tourist    but could go there for education.  (did this change?)

Nothing has changed that prevents you walking off the ship without an excursion because it was never a requirement to begin with.  

Most travellers from the USA to Cuba select the OFAC reason "support for the Cuban people" because it lets you walk around like a tourist while supporting the Cuban people - no surprise there 😎.  Choosing OFAC's §515.565  Educational activities is the most restrictive of all travel reasons, but as OFAC are not checking, it tends to be a non-issue.