June 2018 MediterraneanTapestry Oosterdam-several questions

NewbyCruzerAL

We are going with friends who are 3* Mariners, but I don't want to bug them with too many questions, and they don't know some of this anyway. They are in a Neptune Suite. We booked Verandah Suite 6040. I booked through CostcoTravel.com (am I allowed to say that?) and added the Explore4 for $600 for the two of us. Costco asked me if I wanted to say yes to free upgrade if available, but said if I say yes and don't like the room we would be stuck with it. So I said no. However, from the comments on this great and very helpful board, it sounds like late night noise won't be a problem. Should I change my answer? Is an upgrade even likely to happen and what might we get? Also, Costco has a relationship with ShoreExcursions.com that we could use to book private tours. Anyone had experience with them? The friends are bringing their teenage sons, we are just a couple near 65 years old, so there would be 6 total. They are art lovers, so we might skip Pisa altogether in favor of more time in Florence. Any tips? This is only our second cruise, our unfortunate first one was several years ago on Carnival for only 3-4 days, thankfully. Late night noise was a problem on that one! I haven't read all the posts yet, but they are great!!

Carol, I have lost e mail addresses when I lost my yahoo account bu t want to wish you and John the best during the storm. Hope you and yours come through it safely with no injuries and little or no damage to homes.

Thanks for the confirmation. BTW, we have never been to Europe and our friends have never been to Italy, so I am very excited about all the ports we will visit! And would appreciate excursion tips for the various ports. We have plenty of time to book private tours and museum websites. However, for now I was wondering about the free upgrade possibility as well, in case anyone has an idea about that and whether I should change my answer from no don't upgrade me if I can't turn it down to yes, as it will likely be better, or it's not happening so don't sweat it. I assume once the penalty date approaches more rooms may open up, but they were pretty limited when I booked on Friday. Our room 6040 is a bit more forward than I would have liked, but wanted to be as close to our friends in Neptune Suite as we could. Will the elevator dings and chatter of those waiting be a noise problem in that room? And I don't expect seasickness, but hopefully can get Rx before we go just in case. Can we book our dinner in Pinnacle Grill before we go? And how do we find out about Rudi's? Maybe our friends could book for us, as they may have better access as Neptune residents.

Thanks for the confirmation. BTW, we have never been to Europe and our friends have never been to Italy, so I am very excited about all the ports we will visit! And would appreciate excursion tips for the various ports. We have plenty of time to book private tours and museum websites. However, for now I was wondering about the free upgrade possibility as well, in case anyone has an idea about that and whether I should change my answer from no don't upgrade me if I can't turn it down to yes, as it will likely be better, or it's not happening so don't sweat it. I assume once the penalty date approaches more rooms may open up, but they were pretty limited when I booked on Friday. Our room 6040 is a bit more forward than I would have liked, but wanted to be as close to our friends in Neptune Suite as we could. Will the elevator dings and chatter of those waiting be a noise problem in that room? And I don't expect seasickness, but hopefully can get Rx before we go just in case. Can we book our dinner in Pinnacle Grill before we go? And how do we find out about Rudi's? Maybe our friends could book for us, as they may have better access as Neptune residents.

We have had lots of cabins close to the elevators on the vista ships (which is the class this ship belongs to) as well as on this ship. We never had a problem with elevator noise. Maybe once, we heard some loud voices but it was gone quickly. That's once in a lot of cruises for a number of days on those ships.

You can book your Pinnacle Grill dinners early. Once they open, you can book on the Holland America website. You need to log in, select you booking and then click on purchase. I much prefer to book in advance than wait until I am onboard. If there are days and times you want then it's much easier to do it in advance and less chance of disapointment.

Rudi's? I may be missing the boat - could you tell me what you are referencing here? Or are you on a Master Chef sailing?

I'm not sure what i'm referring to, may be the pop-up. I've read a lot of posts, with more to read (and better notes to take obviously). LOL

What are you referring to "when they open" and when does that happen? As part of our Explore4 package we get a dinner in PG, but I assume that excludes the pop-up, which is a extra cost on top of the normal PG?

I'm not sure what i'm referring to, may be the pop-up. I've read a lot of posts, with more to read (and better notes to take obviously). LOL

What are you referring to "when they open" and when does that happen? As part of our Explore4 package we get a dinner in PG, but I assume that excludes the pop-up, which is a extra cost on top of the normal PG?

For the PG ( Pinnacle Grill), assuming you are sailing next year, you probably won't see the ability to book until around late October/ November.

For example if I go to book now, it justs "not available". It will be and that's when you can do it if you don't mind paying (or have your friends do it since they are 3* and as long as it is on their tab you should save 25% - just give them the cash).

Your Explore4 does include a PG dinner, BUT it will be assigned when you get on board. You can try to change it on board. But, if there are a lot of Explore4's it might be difficult. What some do is book and prepay and then ask it to be substituted.

For the "Rudi" dinner there are some on the special sailings that include some special dinners. Not normal on most cruises. HAL used to offer a "Chef Rudi's Dinner". Aka "Master Chef's Table". Whether it continues or not is open to discussion. If it is available you need to book on board as soon as you get on the ship. You can't book it on line. Not sure if that is what you are referencing, but just in case.