Aft cabin on Oosterdam - could you help me help my sister please?

kazu

Happy Friday all!

My sister is taking her first European cruise and leaning a bit on me. She is sailing the Oosterdam and considering an aft cabin on the 4th floor. All of the 5th floor aft cabins are booked solid and no availability. 6th is availabe but the verandahs on 4th look larger????

Now, we don't do aft generally speaking, so I could only search the boards for comments and share them with her.

I saw some comments on soot, comments on less closet space and, of course, wonderful views.

I don't want to "steer" her wrong. They are subject to a bit of mal de mer.

So, for the aft vista lovers - is there really less closet space (and how much less please?) and is soot a big issue?

Any advice and thoughts would be most appreciated and I will share this thread with her.

With many thanks to anyone who can give advice.:D

Happy Friday all!

My sister is taking her first European cruise and leaning a bit on me. She is sailing the Oosterdam and considering an aft cabin on the 4th floor. All of the 5th floor aft cabins are booked solid and no availability. 6th is availabe but the verandahs on 4th look larger????

Now, we don't do aft generally speaking, so I could only search the boards for comments and share them with her.

I saw some comments on soot, comments on less closet space and, of course, wonderful views.

So, for the aft vista lovers - is there really less closet space (and how much less please?) and is soot a big issue?

Any advice and thoughts would be most appreciated and I will share this thread with her.

Jacqui

I have visited aft cabins on deck 4 on the O and Z and you can't go wrong. The cabin is about 12 inches wider and at least three feet longer than a port or starboard side balcony. It may not show the real size on normal diagrams. And of course, the balcony is much deeper. My travelling companions never complained about soot. Motion might be a different issue. Didn't look at the closet space but appeared to have the same number of closets as a standard balcony cabin.

I haven't been on the Oosterdam but was in an aft cabin on the Westerdam. I believe the closet concern only pertains to the two smaller VB cabins right next to the two SB cabins due to the access to the two SB cabins. If your sister chooses one of the middle cabins, she should be fine.

I found this review of Noordam 4178 an accurate description of Westerdam 4178: http://halfacts.com/4178-noordam/

Jacqui

I have visited aft cabins on deck 4 on the O and Z and you can't go wrong. The cabin is about 12 inches wider and at least three feet longer than a port or starboard side balcony. It may not show the real size on normal diagrams. And of course, the balcony is much deeper. My travelling companions never complained about soot. Motion might be a different issue. Didn't look at the closet space but appeared to have the same number of closets as a standard balcony cabin.

thank you Ruth Ann - that's huge help.

really appreciate this.

I haven't been on the Oosterdam but was in an aft cabin on the Westerdam. I believe the closet concern only pertains to the two smaller VB cabins right next to the two SB cabins due to the access to the two SB cabins. If your sister chooses one of the middle cabins, she should be fine.

I found this review of Noordam 4178 an accurate description of Westerdam 4178: http://halfacts.com/4178-noordam/

perfect AQ - thanks - she wasn't looking at one of those cabins so that alleviates that worry.

I really appreciate this as I don't do aft cabins per se so my knowledge is limited.

nice to have reports from people I "know".

Jacqui,

which cruise is your sister planning to book? John & I are taking a cruise on the O'dam out of Venice next August. After cruising with you (Prinsendam 2011), it would be fun to meet your sister!

Laura

Hi Laura,

It's the June 5th cruise for her. My sister and I have some traits in common, but fortunately, she's not a lot like me ;)

We always take aft cabins when they are available. Always on the Navigation deck. On the Oosterdam they are AC, so cheaper. We have noticed that the two middle are slightly narrower and longer. The ends, shorter and wider. Decks are very large.

Yes, some soot, but never notice it underway, seems more possibly from some of the dirty ports

You can always go outside, my wife falls a sleep out there often..

Only possible problem, if you are a late sleeper you "might" be bothered by the arranging of the deck furniture. We are up early. We have done aft on the Oosterdam, Noordam and in 50 days the Prinsendam.. We have reservations in the future on the Oosterdam and the Eurodam.

Two things about the side, for us. 1) I will always pick the wrong side and 2) when underway to much wind to enjoy and in a storm keep it shut. Our first /only side was 10 days of "don't go out there".

We always take aft cabins when they are available. Always on the Navigation deck. On the Oosterdam they are AC, so cheaper. We have noticed that the two middle are slightly narrower and longer. The ends, shorter and wider. Decks are very large.

Yes, some soot, but never notice it underway, seems more possibly from some of the dirty ports

You can always go outside, my wife falls a sleep out there often..

Only possible problem, if you are a late sleeper you "might" be bothered by the arranging of the deck furniture. We are up early. We have done aft on the Oosterdam, Noordam and in 50 days the Prinsendam.. We have reservations in the future on the Oosterdam and the Eurodam.

Two things about the side, for us. 1) I will always pick the wrong side and 2) when underway to much wind to enjoy and in a storm keep it shut. Our first /only side was 10 days of "don't go out there".

Thanks for the great information :D

AC? AC=Aft Cabin???

Nope, you got me. VC on the Vista class, AB on the Prinsenndam, so many ships !

Thanks :D. Wasn't trying to get you at all - just couldn't figure out what it stood for ;)

Thank you again for your help:hearteyes:

We were in an aft cabin 0n the Westerdam and never noticed any soot. I will say the "motion of the ocean" is a little different but the lovely view of the moon on the water behind us was...lovely..:). The motion is a more head to toe than side to side. We adapted quickly for whatever reason..maybe it was the Bonine..

We were in an aft cabin 0n the Westerdam and never noticed any soot. I will say the "motion of the ocean" is a little different but the lovely view of the moon on the water behind us was...lovely..:). The motion is a more head to toe than side to side. We adapted quickly for whatever reason..maybe it was the Bonine..

Thanks dee :)

Happy Friday all!

We've been in that location every time we've been on Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam. Soot has been a very minor issue. Can't compare closet space as we've never been in another location on the Vista or Signature class ships. Same for the motion...although rumor has it that mid ship is better for Mal de mer.

Just tell her to take ginger and that will help! 🤢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been in that location every time we've been on Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam. Soot has been a very minor issue. Can't compare closet space as we've never been in another location on the Vista or Signature class ships. Same for the motion...although rumor has it that mid ship is better for Mal de mer.

Just tell her to take ginger and that will help! 🤢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sheila :D

Only had an aft cabin with the wrap around balcony once....many years ago (on Carnival Destiny). Absolutely loved it. Didn't feel any more motion or noise or soot or anything. The view from both sides on the huge wrap around balcony was great. I cannot speak from experience for HAL's ships, as I have not had one on their line, but the one I had was great. Hope to book one again someday.

Loved our aft Osterdam verandah on 28 day Med. cruise. It was wonderful to see scenery from both sides as we left ports or cruised along. The overhang made for good viewing on drizzly or hot days. She will enjoy!

Only had an aft cabin with the wrap around balcony once....many years ago (on Carnival Destiny). Absolutely loved it. Didn't feel any more motion or noise or soot or anything. The view from both sides on the huge wrap around balcony was great. I cannot speak from experience for HAL's ships' date=' as I have not had one on their line, but the one I had was great. Hope to book one again someday.[/quote']

Thank you both very much :D:hearteyes:

Update - since you were all kind enough to help I thought you might like to know what she is doing :)

She called today and we went over all the fantastic comments you were all kind enough to share.

She is a bit worried about the motion but likes the larger balcony. I said if only 4164 was available, did a mock booking and not showing. Plugged in the cabin number and they wanted me to book.

So, I pointed her to that cabin, suggested she talk to her TA to see if the aft cabins recommended here were available (most were not) and if by chance, 4164 was. To me, either would be a winner.

Son of a gun - 4164 was available.

So, she opted for the famous 4164.

Thanks again all - she still aft but a happy camper.