Do you bring your DSLR with you on vacation or do you bring a Point and shoot?

IGottaP

Simply put i have two Dslr bodies between my wife and i and a few lenses that we use ( i am photographer hobbyist ) my question is do you guys/ gals bring your DSLRs with you and how much do you really use them if your doing alot of beach and pool days are you ever worried about them getting lost or stolen when off the boat or even on the boat for that matter. or do you leave your Dslr home and bring a point and shoot that you can just keep in your pocket?

second question if you are flying to port do you send your camera and gear under with your major luggage or do you bring it with your carry on ?

i shoot with a Nikon D7000 with a battery grip attached.

I will be bringing my DSLR with us. I plan to use it when we go to the Ardastra Zoo in Nassau and probably to get a few nice shots of the ships. The rest of the time I will take my waterproof point and shoot. After the zoo I am going to return it back to the ship before we head off to our beach day since I don't trust it would be safe even at the resort we are going to.

I would love to take it with us to the dolphin encounter we are doing in Freeport but I don't have a waterproof housing for it and I don't want to just sit back for this excursion so it will stay on the ship.

As for the plane ride, I would never check anything really valuable. I just don't trust the airlines like I used to, so will be carrying it on in it's case.

ANYTHING of value or cannot be replaced easily gets carried on.

Don't want to tempt anybody nor would I want things broken.

In my carryon are electronics, meds, passport, wallet, change of clothes JIC my suitcase decides to go swimming in the ocean.

We take a small Sony point and shoot. It's lightweight and easy to carry on in pocket or purse. It does have a really great zoom--it's 16mp and 16x optical zoom. Here's a comparison...two pictures taken from the same location.

Notice our ship, Carnival Magic over our heads and way off in the backgroud...

DSC00664.jpg

Now, using the zoom this camer has, here is a picture of the ship taken from the same location -- not on a tripod, just held up, aim and shoot...

DSC00639-1.jpg

I took my dslr and a point and shoot on our cruise last month. Given what we were doing each day I ended up only taking pictures with the dslr on the ship and used the point and shoot on at each of the ports we went to. As someone said above though if it's a trip to Europe or something such as that I would definitely be taking it. A few beach stops though I don't think I'd bring it next time.

flying? ~ I'd never check it, I carry mine on

taking it on cruise? Absolutely! I want to get good shots since my kids are going but wont have it out the entire time. The excursion we are going on has lockers and I also have a travel safe/bag type thing that works really wwell.

I bring my DSLR, my canon point and shoot that fits in my pocket, and depending on the cruise, our underwater digital point and shoot. Last cruise I had just bought a new point and shoot, and brought my older one just in case, thank goodness I did because I forgot the charger to the new one!

I always give my cheapest camera to people to take pictures of DH and I, I would never hand over an expensive one! Also, I bring a new memory card for every day, so I trade it our at the end of the day, and if I lose one, at least I haven't lost all my pictures, only a days worth. Knock on wood, but I have yet to lose one!

I'm a pro photographer, and I rarely take a DSLR on a cruise. I would if it was a Mediterranean cruise, or possibly for a southern Caribbean cruise to places I haven't been before. I have no desire to risk a $4000 rig (that's just a camera and one lens) to breakage, theft, etc. not to mention that sand & sea spray is awful on cameras. I also get tired of carrying it around!

I have a Panasonic Lumix that takes nice quality snap shots. That's good enough for me!

On our last cruise I took the Canon 7d and 17-40 lens. I have a blast on a early morning at sea walking around from the top deck down and capturing all there is to see. The downside is moisture, and it takes forever to clear unless the sun is really shining.

I carry a mega zoom Canon too, a SX 40. I like this camera, I don't love it. Shutter lag and slow writing to the memory card hamper these once you get used to a DSLR.

One option I have tried and absolutely loved is the Olympus Pen series of cameras. Mine has a 14-42 zoom, looks old school, has a built in flash and no shutter lag. It's my favorite walking around camera. Here are some images I took with it on the tour of the Carnival Magic when she came to town:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leeusry/sets/72157628129712752/

Two cruises ago I gave in to the urge for a waterproof camera. My girls have the high end Olympus Tough series, and for their tastes it's a perfect match. I decided to be different and purchased the Panasonic. With better sense, and ignoring the reviews about water leak I waded into 5 feet of water in Grand Cayman only to see mine leak and ruin the days images. I have an Olympus in the glove compartment now.

Long winded answer, but it depends on your cruise. I would take a cheaper DSLR and a good lens over most anything else, the Olympus us a close second. I love the features, and if you made me take one for all of it that would do.

The long zoom would be third, and the waterproof last. Most of my logic is based on image quality and size.

Too many toys, but watching my daughter run collegiate track at 7 frames a second through a L series zoom is a magic thing! Ten hurdles under 15 seconds!

Usually bring both. I have never been too worried about it being stolen.

I have a Nikon D5100 and a couple of point n' shoot, one of them underwaster I tend to use the DSLR mostly if I want a higher quality photo. If I am just walking around the ship taking "snapshots" then no need for the big camera.

The downside is moisture, and it takes forever to clear unless the sun is really shining.

I have found if I keep the camera warm, under the blanket an night the system does not fog up when I want to take sunrise pictures. Of course if you roll around a lot at night a hand warmer thing may work better. :D

All of the above. I bring a DSLR with two lenses, a pair of point and shoots (one for super close-ups and one for slow-motion video and wide landscapes), a video camera, a tripod, a monopod, a couple of portable tripods, and all the accessories. Yes, it's over the top. I just can't help it!

Along with a laptop and a Kindle, as well as all of the needed spare batteries and chargers, gear ends up being most of the weight in my luggage.

I pick and choose which things to take with me in port, depending on whether the scenery is creepy crawlie critters or wide shorelines or jungles or towns.

The good news is that I've cut my luggage size from 80 pounds to 75 pounds over the past couple of cruises.

I will bring my point & shoot, but it is a Panasonic Lumix, and I really like the lens on it.

Last April, I picked up a second small point & shoot, that could go underwater to 40 ft. On the very first dive I ever took it on, a whale shark showed up and played with us for 12 min! Great video!

Like most, I have both, but haven't used the DSLR in a while. My macro zoom feels like a ton around my neck, but then again I haven't been to any new ports for a while. Sony point and shoot gets most of my use.

Due to hints on this site, I'll bring more memory cards (just in case of loss), and don't forget to take a picture of your identity in case of loss of the camera (and hopefully an honest finder), the last trick I learned but never thought of, was take a picture of your daily schedule so you won't forget where you saw something. (After a while pics of beaches or islands start to all look alike)

We take one dslr Nikon d5100 so kind of a compact . Two lenses and all the side stuff to go with it. I am just a hobbyist so for me it's still fun. I spend a many an early morning getting sunsets and interiors of ships. Starting to look for a second rig for my wife also.

Archived