Flight Home out of Houston -- Time?

Slippin

Hey guys,

We are riding with friends down for our upcoming cruise in March and looking to fly home. We have FTTF so we will get off the ship first. We have sailed out of Galveston so we are familiar with the port, city, etc. My question is is UBER expensive to take to an airport upon arrival? I know when demand rises they can raise their price. Also, what is a safe time to book a flight? Lastly, which airport is closest? I have never paid attention. I know you pass one driving EAST out of Houston.

1) Uber is $100-$150 to IAH, $75-$100 to HOU. I'd just buy the Carnival transfers.

2) If you have FTTF you'll probably be off of the ship by 9:30am. It's about two hours to IAH, hour and a half to HOU.

3) HOU is closest (south side of Gulf Freeway before 610) but has fewer destinations. Which airport you want depends on where you're going and what airline you're using.

IAH = Houston Intercontinental, "the big airport"

HOU = Hobby Airport

I think I remember getting off the ship earlier then 9:30. Would a 10:30 flight be manageable?

No way... ...You couldn't make a 10:30 flight out of Fort Lauderdale which the airport is only 10-15 min away!! If you got off ship at 9:30

Plan for 30 min to leave ship and get thru customs (again being optimistic).Plan 75-90 min (best) to get to Hobby and 90-120 min(best) to Bush International. Then you have to factor in check-in, security, and getting to gate which they usually start boarding 30 min before departure

No way... ...You couldn't make a 10:30 flight out of Fort Lauderdale which the airport is only 10-15 min away!! If you got off ship at 9:30

Plan for 30 min to leave ship and get thru customs (again being optimistic).Plan 75-90 min (best) to get to Hobby and 90-120 min(best) to Bush International. Then you have to factor in check-in, security, and getting to gate which they usually start boarding 30 min before departure

Houston is infamous for both it's traffic and never ending road construction. Risk is too high to cut it close, times given by previous responder are accurate but I'd probably allow at least another 1hr to 90 mins to either airport for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

We didn't dock until 8 am on the Valor last week, and disembarkation didn't begin until 8:35. We didn't have FTTF but were in line to get out by 8:45. I was off the ship, through customs, and in my car at 9:30.

Some ships do dock earlier (7-7:30), so you'll be able to get off earlier, although 10:30 is still cutting it too close. I wouldn't book a flight at Hobby (HOU) until at least noon, and IAH not until 1.

If it's a 4- or 5-day cruise that gets in on a weekday, realize that you will be hitting Houston traffic. That could add 30-45 minutes to get to HOU and 30-75 to get to IAH.

Don't forget, most airlines now ask you to arrive at least 90 minutes before your flight in order to check-in and go thru security. Hobby is smaller and quicker to get through and to me just an all over more pleasant airport to fly in and out of. I have often been checked in and at the gate within 15 minutes of arriving. Southwest Air is the major carrier there.

Carnival recommends the following: Earliest Flight Departures:

Earliest departures out of the Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) or Houston Hobby Airport (HOU): 1:30pm

There is no recommended time.... Pretty much every port people say 1 or 1:30... But for Miami and Ft Lauderdale Ports.... I always have booked flights between 11-11:30 due to the proximity of the pier to Airport. Never missed a flight and many times got there way early. However...for Houston area ...due to mileage from pier to Airports and known traffic bottlenecks ...I would definitely plan a later flight especially if your on a ship which arrives during a work day

1) Uber is $100-$150 to IAH, $75-$100 to HOU. I'd just buy the Carnival transfers.

2) If you have FTTF you'll probably be off of the ship by 9:30am. It's about two hours to IAH, hour and a half to HOU.

3) HOU is closest (south side of Gulf Freeway before 610) but has fewer destinations. Which airport you want depends on where you're going and what airline you're using.

IAH = Houston Intercontinental, "the big airport"

HOU = Hobby Airport

This is great advice. HOU is the closest airport from a Carnival cruise (unlike some other cruise lines that dock at a different port in Houston area). If Southwest Airlines is an option for you based on your home airport, they have good service out of HOU as opposed to other airlines. You will not be first off the ship with FTTF, but will have an early or late debarkation choice. Be careful in considering some recommendations on this thread because cruising in/out of Galveston is very different than cruising out of Florida because airports are much further away from the cruise port. Carnival recommends no flights before 1:30PM on debarkation day for Galveston cruises. You may be able to make a flight earlier than that, but unexpected circumstances could put you in jeopardy of making your flight.

https://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/Airport_and_Pier_Transfers/galveston.aspx?PrId=519&ChId=528

This is great advice. HOU is the closest airport from a Carnival cruise (unlike some other cruise lines that dock at a different port in Houston area). If Southwest Airlines is an option for you based on your home airport, they have good service out of HOU as opposed to other airlines. You will not be first off the ship with FTTF, but will have an early or late debarkation choice. Be careful in considering some recommendations on this thread because cruising in/out of Galveston is very different than cruising out of Florida because airports are much further away from the cruise port. Carnival recommends no flights before 1:30PM on debarkation day for Galveston cruises. You may be able to make a flight earlier than that, but unexpected circumstances could put you in jeopardy of making your flight.

https://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/Airport_and_Pier_Transfers/galveston.aspx?PrId=519&ChId=528

Just for clairification, the "other port" is no longer a cruise port, handles just freight now. Cruise lines abandoned it in 2016 due to too many delays in the ship channel and the amount of time it took to clear Texas water.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I had an Air Canada leave IAH at 1:15m.

Breeze lands at 8:00 am at Galveston.

Air Canada change my flight to Canada to 12:15 pm the day I am debarking.

I have Prior debarking .

Do you think I will have enough time to get thru custom and get to the airport? (I am having a private car pick me up.)

Assuming Breeze arrives ontime...you should be OK. Not sure when your cruising...But fog could be an issue they could delay arrival...but many times ships arrive before their shown arrival time.

I would do self-disembark...This will allow you to be 1st off and you won't have to hunt down your luggage.

I've made flights out of FLL as early as 9:30 am, and MIA by 8:30AM, so it can be done. Special circumstances: diamond walkoff, Global entry for US Customs, taxi to airport, TSA pre check, lots of experience getting through these airports, which are generally deserted that early in the morning anyway.

Wouldn't attempt that for Galveston though. 2 of my 4 cruises from there had fog delays getting back to port.

I've made flights out of FLL as early as 9:30 am, and MIA by 8:30AM, so it can be done. Special circumstances: diamond walkoff, Global entry for US Customs, taxi to airport, TSA pre check, lots of experience getting through these airports, which are generally deserted that early in the morning anyway.

Wouldn't attempt that for Galveston though. 2 of my 4 cruises from there had fog delays getting back to port.

Notice I assumed he was getting off ship at 9:30 I too have caught earlier flights. Ships arrive in FL by 6am and many times debarkation begins at 7am

Not sure what a Nexus card is...unless it has to do with Immigration (like a travel visa?). Based on what your telling me....I would be surprised if takes you more than 30 min from leaving ship to getting outside to meet your ride. It will just depend on Immigration lines and since you would be one of the 1st off ...lines should be short

A nexus card is:

This is the official Government of Canada NEXUS application website. NEXUS is designed to speed up border crossings for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States (U.S.). It is jointly run by the Canada Border Services Agency and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Thanks for the time line