cruise to St. Petersburg on US passport but place of birth is Russia

OHtoNC

Assuming you mean the US DoS, the consular service folks

(who are the folks relevant to this thread) are doing just fine.

State Counselor service was decimated by the current administration in an effort to make it as difficult as possible;e to travel to the US.

Having dealt with the Soviet Union and now Russia since the late 1960s, and given the current political animosities to include the ongoing expulsions, I would certainly NOT be traveling to Russia at this time.

Many countries, including Russia, consider native born still as their nationals. More of a challenge for males and conscription, but many countries consider domestic law applicable to all native born.

Princess' ships are flagged out of Bermuda, not the US. Bermuda is a UK territory. In Russian waters, UK and Russian laws prevail. See the UK expulsion of Russian "diplomats" and counter explosion of UK personnel from Russia and the Russian closing of the UK Cultural Center in St Petersburg.

We did a Baltic cruise in 2013 to include two nights in St Petersburg and used SPB for touring and immigration clearance (excellent company). No problem with Russian immigration (I served 30 years in uniform and my spouse was also a career USG employee). I have traveled to the former USSR on official business under both Black and Red passports. Times have changed over the last 4 years. I was uncomfortable ashore in 2013, would be even more so today. Russia is a dictatorship. Democratic sensibilities and individual rights do not apply. Once in country you are subject to that country's laws and government activities. US, UK, CAN or other citizenship holds no bearing on what the host country can impose.

My suggestion is to NOT contact the Russian embassy. Rather, contact the US State Department and explain your and tour daughter's situation. And, make sure you join the US Travelers Program which provides updates on these issues and offers "tracking" of when you enter a country so Main State becomes aware of US citizens in country.

We have daughter adopted from Romanian Children's Home in 1990 shortly after the Romanian Revolution. She is a naturalized US citizen with a Romanian birth certificate stating she was born in "Falls Church, USA." She has not been back to Romania, which today is a member of NATO.

State Counselor service was decimated by the current administration in an effort to make it as difficult as possible;e to travel to the US.

No sale.

The consular (note the spelling) folks only help US citizens visiting other

countries, not non-US citizens visiting to the US. The consular service

section in US embassies and consulates doesn't even do visa interviews.

No sale.

Yes, but David Dennison didn't know that;)

It doesn't say who actually informed him in post 20

so you are saying you don't actually know who informed him?

Military folks are often travel-restricted, either by other countries on the theory

that they might --uhm-- notice something, or by their own because what they

know makes them an espionage target. If it's the latter, they're certainly not

going to say so.

No sale.

No, you are incorrect.

According to the US Department of State, consular services do both. FYI, the largest US Embassy Consular Office is in Mexico City. Specifically for non-US citizens coming to the US:

The DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form, is for temporary travel to the United States, and for K (fiancé(e)) visas. Form DS-160 is submitted electronically to the Department of State website via the Internet. Consular Officers use the information entered on the DS-160 to process the visa application and, combined with a personal interview, determine an applicant’s eligibility for a nonimmigrant visa.

Military folks are often travel-restricted, either by other countries on the theory

that they might --uhm-- notice something, or by their own because what they

know makes them an espionage target. If it's the latter, they're certainly not

going to say so.

Not solely US military. Certain US government civilians are also restricted from travel to specific countries, and selected regions of countries. Currently US government employees are restricted from travel to countries like Afghanistan and the CAR, among other countries. Non-govenrment citizens can travel at their own risk, but are advised against such travel for security reasons. For Russia, US citizens are requested to "reconsider travel to Russia due to terrorism and harassment (State emphasis), with some ares having increased risk." See Travel.State.Gov. I would expect similar counsel from the UK Foreign Office.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you Americans (and Brits) still planning on visiting Russia need to make sure you read and follow guidance from the State Department (Foreign Office) concerning personal safety while ashore in St Petersburg. Putin just announced the closing of the US Consulate in St Petersburg and the declaration of 150 western diplomats as Persona Non Grata. A decrease in personal safety usually follows these events as local, both officially and unofficially, retaliate against tourists. I expect travel warnings to increase and anyone panning on visiting the World Cup events to be cautioned on attendance. For Americans recommend make sure you register with the US State Department STEP program.

Those of you Americans (and Brits) still planning on visiting Russia need to make sure you read and follow guidance from the State Department (Foreign Office) concerning personal safety while ashore in St Petersburg. Putin just announced the closing of the US Consulate in St Petersburg and the declaration of 150 western diplomats as Persona Non Grata. A decrease in personal safety usually follows these events as local, both officially and unofficially, retaliate against tourists. I expect travel warnings to increase and anyone panning on visiting the World Cup events to be cautioned on attendance. For Americans recommend make sure you register with the US State Department STEP program.

I would not expect any decrease in safety for those on organized tours from a cruise ship, either Princess tours or independent tours. Those going about on their own might have a problem, but since a regular visa is required to go about when not on a tour, I would not expect any passengers to do that.

The only negative for a cruise ship passenger would be if his/her passport was lost/stolen. Then there is no longer a consulate in St Pete to get a replacement.

Those going about on their own might have a problem, but since a regular visa is required to go about when not on a tour, I would not expect any passengers to do that.

I doubt this will even be a problem as Russia is waiving visas for approx a month during the World Cup for those attending. I know several who have bought a ticket but have no intention of attending just so that they can get out of the visa.

I would not expect any decrease in safety for those on organized tours from a cruise ship, either Princess tours or independent tours. Those going about on their own might have a problem, but since a regular visa is required to go about when not on a tour, I would not expect any passengers to do that.

The only negative for a cruise ship passenger would be if his/her passport was lost/stolen. Then there is no longer a consulate in St Pete to get a replacement.

...or if, for example, officialdom says "this passport photo doesn't look like you".

I am not sure why such a big deal when one can easily take a 3 days St. Petersburg "cruise" from Stockholm via Helsinki and enter St. Petersburg Visa Free, as the sailing itself is considered a "tour". My friend and his family did exactly that last year, spend full 72 hours at St. Petersburg touring the city independently, using Uber extensively because he said subways were too expensive (since it was per person and they were a family of 4 or 5). He bought a SIM card with $5 and happily went everywhere using Uber, only took metro two times "for the experiences".

Sure, the recent escalation of tension between the 2 countries is worrisome but I am sure the ordinary folks in St. Petersburg or Russia as whole, would NOT want their tourism dollars dwindled and therefore would try harder to make the tourists feel safe and welcome. It is big money big income supplement that the locals needed,. Most would not do bad things to jeopardize that income,

I am not sure why such a big deal when one can easily take a 3 days St. Petersburg "cruise" from Stockholm via Helsinki and enter St. Petersburg Visa Free, as the sailing itself is considered a "tour". My friend and his family did exactly that last year, spend full 72 hours at St. Petersburg touring the city independently, using Uber extensively because he said subways were too expensive (since it was per person and they were a family of 4 or 5). He bought a SIM card with $5 and happily went everywhere using Uber, only took metro two times "for the experiences".

Sure, the recent escalation of tension between the 2 countries is worrisome but I am sure the ordinary folks in St. Petersburg or Russia as whole, would NOT want their tourism dollars dwindled and therefore would try harder to make the tourists feel safe and welcome. It is big money big income supplement that the locals needed,. Most would not do bad things to jeopardize that income,

Technically, it's the bus from the dock to the center of town that is the qualifying

tour. Cracking down on that technicality is "low-hanging fruit" if Putin indeed

decides to inflict a low-cost-to-him / high-cost-to-Foreign-Offices / nightmare-to-

"cheating"-tourists incident. I hear the South Pacific is delightful this year :halo:

...or if, for example, officialdom says "this passport photo doesn't look like you".

The immigration personnel at the cruise dock are very disinterested workers in a hum drum job as part of a vast bureaucracy. They do not want to create any extra work for themselves.

The immigration personnel at the cruise dock are very disinterested workers in a hum drum job as part of a vast bureaucracy. They do not want to create any extra work for themselves.

Indeed they are, and indeed they don't.

But what does that have to do with what we're talking about? The worry is over

whether there's a guy down from Moscow, drinking tea over in the corner, and

calling the shots, no?

Indeed they are, and indeed they don't.

But what does that have to do with what we're talking about? The worry is over

whether there's a guy down from Moscow, drinking tea over in the corner, and

calling the shots, no?

The guy in Moscow is not the one looking at the passport photo and comparing it with the person presenting the passport. The immigration agent in the booth is the one who is doing that and does not want the extra work required if he/she pretends that the photo is not good enough.

The guy in Moscow is not the one looking at the passport photo and comparing it with the person presenting the passport. The immigration agent in the booth is the one who is doing that and does not want the extra work required if he/she pretends that the photo is not good enough.

Last go 'round. Assuming this escalates further and Putin decides he wants some

political pawns, the worker-bee in the booth tasked with finding some is going to

find some -- justified or not, extra work or not. That's current day Russia.

Overlaying "western" standards on Russian practices is dangerous. Russia is not a democracy. Official Russia works for the former KGB Lt Col, not a democratically derived government. While the local shopkeeper is looking for your business, they still receive "oversight" from government officials who may even be present during your visit. Its the Russia/communist way. Be careful what you do, corners you cut, and comments you make. People are listening. And just waiting to catch someone doing something against the state.

• 3 months later...
Russian ... dangerous ... not a democracy ...KGB Lt Col ..."oversight" from government officials who may even be present during your visit ...Russia/communist way ... be careful ... people are listening... waiting to catch someone doing something against the state.

It's been a couple of months since this was posted, but it still remains one of my favorite posts on this board. In fact, the whole thread aged pretty well :-)