Beach with less of a drop off into water??

Moo_Cruiser

Hello

I've been researching for our day at the beach in Antigua and notice many people mention some of the beaches have a steep drop off into the water,

I have impaired mobility and am looking for a beach which is easier to get in and out of the water with less of a steep drop off.

Can anyone recommend the best beach to go to??

Or better still, if you have a mobility impairment and can give feedback about your experience on the beach and access into the water, that would be great!

I am considering Valley Church Beach but the drop off does look steep in videos.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Amanda

Hello

I've been researching for our day at the beach in Antigua and notice many people mention some of the beaches have a steep drop off into the water,

I have impaired mobility and am looking for a beach which is easier to get in and out of the water with less of a steep drop off.

Can anyone recommend the best beach to go to??

Or better still, if you have a mobility impairment and can give feedback about your experience on the beach and access into the water, that would be great!

I am considering Valley Church Beach but the drop off does look steep in videos.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Amanda

I have been to a couple beaches in Antigua. They all had the drop. But Valley Church beach is really beautiful.

Gesendet von meinem E6653 mit Tapatalk

I have been to a couple beaches in Antigua. They all had the drop. But Valley Church beach is really beautiful.

Gesendet von meinem E6653 mit Tapatalk

Thanks Claudia, I recognise your name from our roll call!!:D

At least I know they all have a steep drop, so it's just a matter of dealing with it.

Is Valley Church your top pick??

We love Valley Church Beach, too. We get off the ship, hang a right into town and go to the bus station and take the #22 bus for $3 for 2 people. Coming back just go to same place at the road outside beach and flag down the bus going back to town! Easy peasy!

We went to Coconut Grove and did not find the drop off steep. I did find you needed to be standing in the deeper water to exit. It was shallow for some distance out and difficult to stand in the shallow water from sitting due to waves.

• 3 weeks later...

While Valley Church beach is beautiful, it is the most challenging for a mobility impaired person! On our visit last February(2016) my wife was unable to make it over the drop off and out of the water without extensive help. Last summer, with our family, we went to Dickerson Bay and there was almost no entry shelf.

Hal

Hi I am in my 60's with 2 replaced knees. I did a comparison of all the beaches and posted it. I chose Beach Limeriz and was very pleased. Close to the port, small and intimate, not crowded, restaurant, bathroom, outdoor shower and I could get in and out of the water! Look them up on Trip Advisory and here. By the way if you haven't yet buy water shoes, do so. They are inexpensive and are life savers when walking on the beach and getting in and out of the water. Crocs are also good for walking on the beach.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd let everyone know how our beach day at Antigua went.

I pre-arranged our day at Beach Limerz restaurant and beach with Gail by email for our day trip from our cruise ship in April 2017.

Gail arranged everything for us; a booking at the restaurant, sun loungers on the beach (for a fee) and for a lovely young driver Anthony to pick us up near the port and take us back. Everything went smoothly and we had an amazing day. Gail, her husband Barry and their staff were all really lovely; they greeted us like old friends when we arrived!

The quaint little beach is steps from the restaurant and is just stunning; like something from a postcard. The four of us were the only ones around so it was like a private piece of paradise!

The beach is not steep with no rocks and is easy to access from the restaurant area. There was a slight swell but the sea wasn’t too rough and it was easy to get in and out of the water, with no sharp drop-off like other beaches in the area.

There are a few stairs to the restaurant; they are solid timber with good rails either side.

Staff bought cocktails down to the beach for us so that made it really easy. After time on the beach, we changed in the restaurant bathrooms and had a great lunch in the amazing beach style restaurant overlooking the beach. You can eat inside the restaurant or there are tables outside under umbrellas.

I think this beach and restaurant are a good option for people with impaired mobility, providing you can manage stairs and are comfortable getting in and out of the water with waves coming in.

Happen to answer any questions.

Cheers

Amanda

I thought I'd let everyone know how our beach day at Antigua went.

I pre-arranged our day at Beach Limerz restaurant and beach with Gail by email for our day trip from our cruise ship in April 2017.

Gail arranged everything for us; a booking at the restaurant, sun loungers on the beach (for a fee) and for a lovely young driver Anthony to pick us up near the port and take us back. Everything went smoothly and we had an amazing day. Gail, her husband Barry and their staff were all really lovely; they greeted us like old friends when we arrived!

The quaint little beach is steps from the restaurant and is just stunning; like something from a postcard. The four of us were the only ones around so it was like a private piece of paradise!

The beach is not steep with no rocks and is easy to access from the restaurant area. There was a slight swell but the sea wasn’t too rough and it was easy to get in and out of the water, with no sharp drop-off like other beaches in the area.

There are a few stairs to the restaurant; they are solid timber with good rails either side.

Staff bought cocktails down to the beach for us so that made it really easy. After time on the beach, we changed in the restaurant bathrooms and had a great lunch in the amazing beach style restaurant overlooking the beach. You can eat inside the restaurant or there are tables outside under umbrellas.

I think this beach and restaurant are a good option for people with impaired mobility, providing you can manage stairs and are comfortable getting in and out of the water with waves coming in.

Happen to answer any questions.

Cheers

Amanda

Thanks Amanda, Did you do the AI at $60 per person or pay as you go? Do you think it best to pre-arrange with Gail to guarantee lounge chairs & umbrella?

Thanks Amanda, Did you do the AI at $60 per person or pay as you go? Do you think it best to pre-arrange with Gail to guarantee lounge chairs & umbrella?

Hi Bev

I wasn't keen on pre paying a deposit for the sun loungers so we reserved them we we got there.

We paid for the sun lounges and paid for drinks and food as we went rather than the AI. We paid the driver cash direct.

I am not sure how crowded it gets at times but was quiet when we were there so no prob with sun loungers. Gail will guide you with that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Amanda

• 1 month later...
Hi I am in my 60's with 2 replaced knees. I did a comparison of all the beaches and posted it. I chose Beach Limeriz and was very pleased. Close to the port, small and intimate, not crowded, restaurant, bathroom, outdoor shower and I could get in and out of the water! Look them up on Trip Advisory and here. By the way if you haven't yet buy water shoes, do so. They are inexpensive and are life savers when walking on the beach and getting in and out of the water. Crocs are also good for walking on the beach.

Did this beach have chairs & umbrellas to rent. How far is this & did you take taxi? Tnx

Sent from my iPad using Forums