Teeth Whitening on RCCL Ships

JF4300

We will sail on the Jewel next month and my adult daughter is thinking of trying the teeth whitening procedure advertised by the spa.

Does anyone have any experience using this procedure? Is there follow up after the initial treatment?

Any comments appreciated

I won a free treatment during a raflle and made the mistake of going. Even though it was free, I still felt like it was a rip-off! At the end the person tried to imply that if I didn't purchase hundreds of dollars of products, then my teeth would be even worse than before and that I "had" to buy the products. When I informed her that I did not "have" to buy any prodcuts she indicated that I had "wasted her time." I later learned that it was a mistake to have done this in the first place on a ship, as there is a risk for side effects (mainly tooth pain/sensititivty) if not done properly and the ship spa people are rumored to not have adequate training. Furthermore my wife indicated that she could not even notice a difference in my tooth color afterwards (even though the spa person claimed I had improved seven shades).

I have heard a few horror stories, besides the fact that you can't drink coffee or red wine for the rest of the cruise. There is also the possibility of tooth sensitivity to hot and cold.

But for me the problem is that if there is an emergency and something goes wrong... how far are you from the nearest dentist?

It's a bleaching process that needs to be repeated. I have had it done by my dentist and did all the follow up. It will cause some sensitivity that is temporary. It can cause root damage if not done properly. The price they charge on the ship is very over priced and a waste of time because they can't make you the teeth trays needed for follow up every few months.

Just buy some Crest Whitestrips Premium for about 20 dollars and use them for a week before the cruise. They work wonders. A lot cheaper than having it done professionally. Dentists buy a lot of their whitening products from Crest.. so it's basically the same thing (I come from a family of dentists).

Never had it done a cruise ship BUT...

I have had whitening done by the dentist and did not react great to it, my teeth were very sensitive for weeks and I was in PAIN for a day after. While this is not a reaction that most people will have, it is possible... I personally wouldnt want to risk it on a cruise and make any day miserable. You should be enjoying your time on the ship and eating anything and everything in sight, LOL.

I would say she should do it at home if she wants it done.

I no longer go to the spa on cruises because of the hard sell. It is unfortunate that something that should be relaxing and enjoyable becomes unpleasant due to the hard sell. I have even tried telling them that I am not interested in purchasing prroducts. Then the therapist seems to lose interest in providing good service. I even had a therapist say to me when I refused products "sure you feel great now ,but tomorow you will feel like S**t again". The only way she would stop is that I said that I would think about it and let her know. I know that they are pressured to push products ,but they should respect the wishes of their customers. My wife and I go to spas often at home and have never had products pushed on us. I thought about the teeth whitening but figured it would turn into a $300 product hard sell. I find it hard to believe that the cruiselines haven't heard these complaints. I guess they get enough people to go to the spa regardless so they feel no reason to change this practice which goes on across all of the lines.:( David

Tooth whitening is a medical procedure.

Why anyone would voluntarily subject themselves to a medical procedure on a cruise where you do not know if the practicioner is licensed and have no recourse if there are problems is beyond me.

DON

Just off the Serenade last Saturday. While waiting for my daughter to finish her pedicure a woman came in for her "free" teeth whitening. She looked no better in my opinion afterwards, even she agreed to that. The spa is a hardsell, take your monies elsewhere if you really want your teeth whitened.

Three words..don't do it...unlicensed people should not be doing this...numerous states have banned non-DDS treatments in malls and tanning salons...so why think it is safe outside the US...This topic has been addressed numerous times on this board, and most comments are negative....

David:D

(Tennessee DDS)

This is not the same as the dentist office. When it first came out my husband tried it. i am so happy that we did not sign up for a two person deal. we wasted over $250.00 at the time. they put the gel on and off three times which is the way it's done and made him sit under a light with these big glasses. he looked funny but it looked like a professional procedure but when it was over there was no change at all.

We were told that it would only remove coffee and wine stain if you have them. In my husband's case it was a total waste of money. i suggest you see your dentist for teeth whitening. if you do it on the ship it will be money wasted.

Just buy some Crest whitestrips before you leave (and use a "sensitive" toothpaste a few weeks prior!!! Don't say I didn't warn you!) and you're teeth will positively GLEAM!!!!

Teeth whitening can make your teeth VERY sensitive--you do NOT want that to happen in the middle of a vacation!

The crest product works wonders! And it's relatively inexpensive. Try it! My dentist marvels over the whiteness of my teeth!

The whitening system they used on the Enchantment in Nov. of '07 was Go Smile. You can buy it on any Sephora store....

My FI did it last year with the Go Smile. In my opinion it was way over priced, one treatment and then some to use for the next 5 days for close to $250. I use this treatment at home, I get it at ULTA, i have problems with tooth sensitivity with that of hte dentist and the crest strips, this system doesn't seem to make them as sensitive although I still use the senstive tooth paste. Tooth whitening isn't a dangerous procedure so I don't really think you need to worry about the "medical" side of it LOL at even calling it that... I use this system and love it. My suggestion get the kit at ULTA or sephora for $99 last about 2-3 years depending on if you drink coffee and stuff, no long term side effects, I asked my dentist. Proces is simple, squeeze ampule, rub stuff on teeth, can't eat or drink for 20 min after treatment, thats it twice a day I think there are 20 amples in a kit, i do it for 5 days and my teeth are super white, depends on how much staining you have how much you can get out of a kit.

I agree with the other posters who take care of their teeth whitening before the cruise. I've been using Crest Whitestripes for about 6 years now (I use them about 2 or 3 times a year) and always before a special vacation :D My dentist doesn't bother trying to sell me the $200 treatment, since my teeth look so white!

Lynne

Archived