Oosterdam - ship questions

hgrant

I have the worst time finding anything on this site and if I do, it is 8 years old! :p:p:)

Hubby and I are sailing in one month and first time on HAL from Barcelona to Venice.

Can someone on board recently tell us how many and what kind of outlets there in the cabin. US/European, USB, etc.

Can we bring water on board?

Can we bring a power strip (as long as it isn't also a surge protector)?

Price for spa for the trip? Is it better to buy before we board or right after we get on the ship?

Thanks so much!! I'm sure these questions have been addressed in other places but I can't find answers or I find conflicting answers.

You can carry on water...you can also buy at each port and carry on

Power strip is ok as long as it doesn’t have surge protector. I pack in my carry on

Best to purchase spa on 1st day of cruise

Have a great cruise! We’ll be on after you.

There will be US, European, and possibly USB ports on board.

You can take on water, but no reason to take on more than one refillable bottle per person. The water on board is as pure, if not purer than bottled water, tastes great, doesn't come with a plastic waste problem, and is FREE.

When we on late Dec '16 there were two of the 220v/115v combination outlets and a pair of USB over the desk. More of each may have been added in the dry dock earlier this year.

Technically you're only supposed to use power strips furnished by HAL, but the rule is rarely enforced.

Edited by catl331

You can take on water, but no reason to take on more than one refillable bottle per person. The water on board is as pure, if not purer than bottled water, tastes great, doesn't come with a plastic waste problem, and is FREE.

Agree... and it is purer and better tasting than any bottled water I've ever had. ;):)

Just got back from Barcelona-Venice. Hoping to post a detailed review later. Our stateroom had plenty of outlets, including USB, so my power strip ended up back in my suitcase. Most outlets offered both US and European sockets. We had converters for our night in Barcelona, so could have used them to maximize outlets, but didn't need to.

Just got back from Barcelona-Venice. Hoping to post a detailed review later. Our stateroom had plenty of outlets, including USB, so my power strip ended up back in my suitcase. Most outlets offered both US and European sockets. We had converters for our night in Barcelona, so could have used them to maximize outlets, but didn't need to.

Ooh, I can't wait to read your review. I hope you enjoyed it! We are staying a couple of nights in Barcelona and Venice so I am bring converters. Glad to know about the power strip.

I've done several (including a TransLant) on the Oosterdam. Seems like most of your questions have been answered - on the Spa; it's the same as any other HAL with a thermal suite - if you want to get a pass good for the entire cruise, you'll have to call the Ship Services number and request it over the phone. It's a much better 'deal' that purchasing individual day passes, which are capacity limited. The Oosterdam's got a great Thermal Suite, so I'd definitely recommend a pass for the entire voyage.

Because the old TV's and DVD players were removed from the desk area, that freed up extra 220 & 120 volt outlets in the desk area. There are plenty. All electronic devices these days, including CPAP machines will work on any voltage from 100 to 240, all you need to bring is plug adapters, NOT the much more expensive voltage converters. A typical round prong European to US flat blade adapter costs around $4. I bring a few of them so all desk outlets are usable to me, plus a 15 ft straight extension cord for my CPAP. Depending on what side of the bed you are using, a 15 ft cord is long enough to reach both sides in a Veranda cabin. There are 2 USB charging outlets at the desk and also 2 more next to the light switches behind your bed pillows.