Question Regarding An Upsell Offer

Mtn2Sea

We booked our upcoming 36 day cruise on the Ryndam (leaves Oct. 11) through our PCC several months ago and a few minutes ago I got an email announcing we can go from an OV cabin to a Veranda (A to C category) for $1599/person. The cruise was sold in 3 segments and the first segment, which is only a week, has "sold out." Although the price for the 36 day cruise dropped by several hundred dollars from our price, I haven't attempted to get an upgrade or OMC because I was hoping to get an upsell offer; however, $1600 would get our fare up close to the price of a veranda prior to the cruise selling out and more than I'm willing to pay. My question is do I wait to see if another offer is sent or do I attempt to make a counter?

You know you could do either. You might wait to see if there is a better offer but if your anxious about it, why not go back to Hal with an lower offer, all they can do is say no. I would tell them about the fare reduction you have seen for your category, that might help in your negotiations.

We once had a up sell offer but we felt it was to high, so we went back at Hal and they did give us a better price but still not what we wanted to pay. So we stayed where we were at.

Careful with some upsells. If you have a promotion like the Explorer 4 package, you might lose it if you take the upsell. This is what I was told last year.

If you have a price drop after final payment and accept OBC, you will probably have to forfeit your Explore4.

I called HAL this morning and asked about my making a counter offer. Unlike my cruise last December, the HAL rep was receptive to passing along my counter. She also told me there are 9 cabins up for grab. So now it's a waiting game.

I called HAL this morning and asked about my making a counter offer. Unlike my cruise last December, the HAL rep was receptive to passing along my counter. She also told me there are 9 cabins up for grab. So now it's a waiting game.

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out. I remember at least one person on here being successful with a counter offer.

A few minutes ago, I checked my reservation to see if a cabin assignment had been made. The reservation didn't show a number, but thanks to several comments on this board, I clicked on luggage tags and saw our cabin number. After resigning myself to HAL not accepting my counter offer, I then checked my email. A new message from HAL had just come in, offering an upgrade for $300 less than the original offer. I called to ask for available cabin numbers and was told two cabins were left, both on the port side. Although the price was still above my original top number, I pulled the trigger and gave them my credit card info. We fly out in one week. Time to start packing!

A few minutes ago, I checked my reservation to see if a cabin assignment had been made. The reservation didn't show a number, but thanks to several comments on this board, I clicked on luggage tags and saw our cabin number. After resigning myself to HAL not accepting my counter offer, I then checked my email. A new message from HAL had just come in, offering an upgrade for $300 less than the original offer. I called to ask for available cabin numbers and was told two cabins were left, both on the port side. Although the price was still above my original top number, I pulled the trigger and gave them my credit card info. We fly out in one week. Time to start packing!

Excellent. Have a wonderful time. The assignment shows up on the luggage tag side generally a day before it populates the reservation side.

We had an offer as well - we requested our TA to offer a counter for us this morning. She was told that they were down to 1 open and that HAL is no longer accepting counters for our cruise since they were sure it would sell by the end of the day. So that tells me that in some situations, HAL will entertain counters.....

Careful with some upsells. If you have a promotion like the Explorer 4 package, you might lose it if you take the upsell. This is what I was told last year.

That is what happened to us on our Alaska cruise. e didn't know we lost it though until we boarded and the explore 4 was not in our room.

Enjoy your cruise & nice balcony.:)