Hotels by Heathrow Terminal 2

If you are going to use the Hoppa, in a sense distance doesn’t matter so much as how many other hotels that particular route services. You can have a fun time touring the car parks of 2 or 3 other hotels on your way to T2.

Most of the hotels will be strung out along the Bath Road just north of the airport. I’d just take the best deal, but no doubt others will be along with their favourites. Don’t rule out the hotels actually attached to T4 and T5 - you can get a free transfer to T2 by bus or train.

With some others on this board, I hardly ever advise staying at a LHR hotel, in any case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your stay is the night after a flight in, you would do a lot better to find a hotel nearer your actual destination. If you intend to tour London, you should find a hotel there, or if you are sailing next day, you should consider traveling to the port.

Of course, there might be a good reason to stay near the airport, but you should consider alternatives.

Just stayed at the Ibis Styles hotel near T2 and thought it was great. Good sized room and food was good, staff were great. Was only £60 for the night (a Sunday) including breakfast (which starts at 4.30 am!). Prices start to go up as summer approaches (just checked for May) but we were very pleased with this place.

Any recommendations for a hotel close by Heathrow, preferably T2? Have lots of options, but just would like some idea what would be a good place to stay that's somewhat close (Hoppa buses) and reasonably priced.
The real problem is that there simply are no hotels near Terminal 2. That terminal is in the Central Terminal Area which also houses T3. There are no hotels in the CTA, so any hotel you stay at will basically be an off-airport hotel so far as T2 is concerned.

Once you are having to transfer off-airport, you might as well stay at any hotel near Heathrow, regardless of the technical distance between the hotel and the terminal, as Cotswold Eagle says. Even the ibis Styles mentioned by PhilbeachTraveller, which is one of the closest hotels to T2 as the crow flies, is about 1½ miles by road. The remainder of the hotels strung out along the north side of the airport are no more than about a mile away from that hotel, so that will give you an idea of why "close to T2" isn't going to help you much when choosing.

Having said all that, there are a few hotels that are actually on-airport, but attached to terminals that require a transfer from T2. These are the Hilton, the Premier Inn and the Yotel at T4, and the Sofitel at T5. This is worth mentioning because you haven't said why you're planning to stay at the airport - there are only a handful of reasons why this might make sense, and in most cases it would be more practical to stay somewhere else. However, if you do have a good reason for staying at the airport, then staying in a hotel that's on-airport gives you easy access to the public transport options for getting into town or getting to the hotel from town.

If you can tell us when (in relation to your cruise) you're planning to stay at the airport, and why, then we might be able to focus the advice a bit more.

Finally, if you book somewhere that makes you plan to rely on the Hoppa, you should be aware it's perfect - so long as you ignore that it's expensive, poor value, infrequent, inconvenient, slow and unreliable. Not for nothing is it perhaps the world's most hated and reviled hotel transfer service.

Thanks for all the answers. We are taking the Princess disembarkation tour to Windsor Castle, then off to the airport. Our flight leaves the next day at 1:00 pm, so I thought staying at the airport would be the best bet. Just wanted some recommendations since that is our plan. Thanks!!!

That's one of the rare occasions when a hotel near the airport makes complete sense. :)

A hotel in Windsor rather than featureless cloned airport hotels would be a more attractive proposition, and you have plenty of time next morning. But Windsor hotels are much more expensive, and a taxi to the terminal (public transport is a no-no due to luggage & complications) would cost about £30.

JB :)

If you are set on staying at a LHR hotel (I’m afraid I would not even contemplate doing so for a 1pm flight), think about what you want from it. The Ibis Styles mentioned above is well reviewed as one of the budget, basic chains, but if you are looking for a more full service hotel, consider the Park Inn or Marriott, which I think both have pools.

There is a brand new Novotel that will have a rooftop bar when it is fully open (NB, there are now two Novotels at Heathrow).

Any hotel that says it has an airport shuttle is basically lying and referring to the Hoppa. Consider getting a cab instead, cheaper for two or more. Or local buses are free in the airport area, your hotel can point you to the nearest stop (the Hoppa delivers to the door, just about its only good point).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll need to get to the Park Inn on Bath Road near T2 early in the morning mid-week in order to catch an International Friends tour to Dover. Is a taxi our best bet? Flight is scheduled to land at 5:55 am and we will need to be at the pick up point (Park Hotel) by 8am. Will a cab be easy to find right outside the terminal? From what I'm reading we shouldn't mess around with the Hoppa, correct?

I'll need to get to the Park Inn on Bath Road near T2 early in the morning mid-week in order to catch an International Friends tour to Dover. Is a taxi our best bet? Flight is scheduled to land at 5:55 am and we will need to be at the pick up point (Park Hotel) by 8am. Will a cab be easy to find right outside the terminal? From what I'm reading we shouldn't mess around

with the Hoppa, correct?

You didn't say what terminal you are arriving at, but from T2 and 3, Hotel Hoopa buses go every 10 to 15 minutes to the park inn. It's the first stop and the ride takes 7 minutes for departures from 06.30 a.m. Earlier buses go the long way and take 30 minutes.

Bus nr H1 from memory. GBP 4.50.

Google LHR hotel hoopa and you get directed to the National Express website.

I'll need to get to the Park Inn on Bath Road near T2 early in the morning mid-week in order to catch an International Friends tour to Dover. Is a taxi our best bet? Flight is scheduled to land at 5:55 am and we will need to be at the pick up point (Park Hotel) by 8am. Will a cab be easy to find right outside the terminal? From what I'm reading we shouldn't mess around with the Hoppa, correct?
Like at any other big airport, there will be an official taxi rank outside the terminal.

Will the tour depart without you if you miss the 8.00 am pickup? If so, then this is the most unbelievably risky plan. Even if your flight is on time, it could easily take you 90 minutes to get out of customs, as happened to some friends a couple of weeks back. It's usually faster than this, but you are arriving at the beginning of the major morning peak and 90 minutes is far from unknown. If you then factor in 5 minutes to walk to the taxi rank, 15 minutes in the queue and then 15 minutes to drive to the Park Inn - none of which is unrealistic - that takes you to exactly 8.00 am.

Then ask yourself what happens if your flight takes a trivial delay - say an hour or so.

See also the London Toolkit page for the Hyatt Place (we assume that’s the hotel you mean) which confirms the free buses as shown on that excellent map.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/arora_international_lhr.htm

(If you are wondering about Arora in that URL, this hotel used to be the Arora International until it was sold in 2015, then it was briefly the Heathrow Hotel Bath Road, until it was rebranded as Hyatt Place last year.)

The Hoppa is £4-50 pp each way if bought online or at airport machines, £5 if bought from driver.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

You didn't say what terminal you are arriving at, but from T2 and 3, Hotel Hoopa buses go every 10 to 15 minutes to the park inn. It's the first stop and the ride takes 7 minutes for departures from 06.30 a.m. Earlier buses go the long way and take 30 minutes. Bus nr H1 from memory. GBP 4.50. Google LHR hotel hoopa and you get directed to the National Express website.
From what I can find, United flights from the US arrive at T2. With a scheduled arrival at 5:55am I'm sure we do not have to worry about getting on a hoppa before 6:30am, probably more like 7:30 realistically. Pick up time at the hotel for the tour is anytime between 8-8:30.

From the Hoppa timetables it looks like bus H3 is the one we'll want. It will pick up right outside the terminal, correct? I understand that this can all go south if our flight is late or the lines are long that morning. If that happens, we will take the Princess transfer; I'm sure they won't turn us away.

From what I can find, United flights from the US arrive at T2. With a scheduled arrival at 5:55am I'm sure we do not have to worry about getting on a hoppa before 6:30am, probably more like 7:30 realistically. Pick up time at the hotel for the tour is anytime between 8-8:30.

From the Hoppa timetables it looks like bus H3 is the one we'll want. It will pick up right outside the terminal, correct? I understand that this can all go south if our flight is late or the lines are long that morning. If that happens, we will take the Princess transfer; I'm sure they won't turn us away.

Yes, H3 and Park Inn the first stop, pick up directly outside T2 arrivals, so in this case the Hoppa is not a terrible option.