Beverage package on embarkation

Can someone please tell me if you have the deluxe beverage package, can you use it once on board the ship or do you need to wait until the ship leaves port? Ship Freedom of the Seas port San Juan

You can use it the minute you get onboard.

You can use it the MOMENT you step onto the ship! Your seapass card will indicate it and if you board early doors ie around 11am or so then you can really take benefit of it whilst the hustle n bustle is going on - my tip = take swimwear and head straight for the pool areas and start sampling the drinks menu ha ha ENJOY!

Can someone please tell me if you have the deluxe beverage package, can you use it once on board the ship or do you need to wait until the ship leaves port? Ship Freedom of the Seas port San Juan

Why would you need to wait?

I heard on some cruises, you cannot use the beverage package until the ship leaves the port. Just was not sure if it applied on this sailing.

You're thinking of Carnival out of Galveston. Royal does not do that, even in Galveston.

I heard on some cruises, you cannot use the beverage package until the ship leaves the port. Just was not sure if it applied on this sailing.

Which ones?

I have never seen or heard that in my 20 years of cruising on multiple lines.

And I have sailed out of all the popular ports in the US.

On NCL, Carnival as well as some other lines sailing out of the Manhattan or Brooklyn terminals in New York, passengers can not utilize liquor included beverage packages, due to NY liquor laws allowing the use/sale of liquor packages on a per person basis. So for the sake of simplification these cruise lines just lope off a days worth of charges for their liquor packages, starting the package the next day, and charge per the glass/order for all passengers. Luxury and boutique cruise lines that have all inclusive beverages policies for all passengers can serve the included liquor, beers, and wines since it is not sold on a per person basis. In others words everyone drinks alcoholic beverages free like at an open bar or all have to be treated as if at a cash bar (the law does not affect non-alcoholic packages).

The good news is Royal and Celebrity sail from New Jersey waters, a state that does not have this confusing liquor law. Though I can not remember if Royal does or does not cover the 6.625% NJ state sales tax on any beverages will still in port. (Celebrity did in 2017.)

• 4 weeks later...

What does happen sometimes is that the information about the new cruisers does not filter through to the individual registers to the individual bars right away. Some times it takes a couple of hours to be updated if you board early enough. Make sure that you have proof of payment for the beverage package.

So I have a question along the lines of this thread. Our set sail pass says our seapass will be on our cabin door. A) not sure how we get on the ship without one and B) if we can't get to our cabin until later (getting on early as we can) and get our seapass then how do we show we have a drink package? TIA

So I have a question along the lines of this thread. Our set sail pass says our seapass will be on our cabin door. A) not sure how we get on the ship without one and B) if we can't get to our cabin until later (getting on early as we can) and get our seapass then how do we show we have a drink package? TIA

Use your SetSail pass for getting on the ship and charging.

You board the ship with your set sail pass(piece of paper). This has a bar code on it and the purchase of the drinks package is in the bar code. So until you go to your cabin you can just show the piece of paper and the staff know you have the package when they scan it.

One seapass will be in a sealed envelope outside the door and the other will be in the room.