Light switch confusion

Gunther1

On our last cruise we both once again (my partner is an engineer, no less) gave up on trying to figure out the different light switches in our cabin. I swear their configeration was figured out by committee.....by people in different rooms, speaking different languages.

Has anybody else noticed this and more importantly, does anybody have any clever way to remember which switch is for what ? Or, is it just us :).

On our last cruise we both once again (my partner is an engineer, no less) gave up on trying to figure out the different light switches in our cabin. I swear their configeration was figured out by committee.....by people in different rooms, speaking different languages.

Has anybody else noticed this and more importantly, does anybody have any clever way to remember which switch is for what ? Or, is it just us :).

Let me know when you find the answer! It AIN'T JUST YOU!!!

Joanie

Since they obviously give you quite a problem, and switch locations vary from one class of ship to another, I suggest you take along a small pad of Post it of small sticky labels and mark each one. Frankly after the first day and night on any ship, I have never had the problem.:)

It is not just you! My partner and I just got off the Zaandam, and never could get the lights figured out where we could remember them, even the dimmers. We would leave all the lights on when we left the cabin for dinner, only to come back to a serviced, turned down room, in the dark and fumble with the switches. Finally asked the cabin stewards to leave them on for us, shich they did, but dimmed and still had problems. (older eyes I guess). The post suggestion about post it notes is a good idea, will consider for the next voyage, even if it detracts from the decor of the stateroom.

George

We have over 200 days on HAL. The light switches make me crazy so maybe next time will try the post it note solution. I get the one for the bathroom of course, but there's sure a lot of on off stuff going on to figure all the rest out!

I generally get the switches figured out but I do make a nuisance of myself in regards to the switches at the head of the bed. I'm fond of propping myself up in a nest of pillows on the bed to use my laptop, read, etc. I'm constantly turning off the lights accidentally when my shifting around hits one of those switches. My DH isn't very fond of having all the lights suddenly go out!:eek:

Yes, I usually do eventually figure out the switches, just before debarcation :rolleyes:

But my big question is: Who chose that bright cabin lights come on when you only want the dressing/closet/entry area. I don't understand why there can't be a separate switch for that area.

And speaking of that, wouldn't you want some light that actually enters the closets ??

I have that reading in bed problem too! I finally moved over so I didn't lean against the switches. And I didn't even know there was a dimmer!

Dimmer, there's a dimmer ? ? ? :confused:

r.

My first cruise on Princess, I thought I was turning off the reading light. Nope. It was the emergency call button direct to some type of response center. Our phone rang just seconds after "turning the light off".

Why would they have a light that illuminated the closet?:confused: That would put too much sense into the lightswitch problem.:rolleyes:

Aha! Now we know the reason for the T-shirts in the MDR on Formal night!! The poor souls THOUGHT they were donning their formal best but due to lack of light in the closet, it was all just a silly mistake. A case of miss-tux-en identity!

Archived