Anyone from the UK booked on the American site?

I came across the RCI.com site today. I've been doing some searching this evening and found that the same cruise, same day, same ship, same stateroom numbers on the US and the UK site come out with an £800 difference with the US one being cheaper.

I do like to save money where I can as holidays are pretty costly with us being a family of 5. Has anyone from the UK booked on the US site and the booking been ok? Thanks.

Being from Finland I've always booked via the US site as it's (believe it or not) much better than the Finnish site. I just choose the correct country from the top right dropdown before getting started and I end up with euro prices and the same conditions I would if I booked it on the Finnish site (travel protections and cancellation terms and such).

Being from Finland I've always booked via the US site as it's (believe it or not) much better than the Finnish site. I just choose the correct country from the top right dropdown before getting started and I end up with euro prices and the same conditions I would if I booked it on the Finnish site (travel protections and cancellation terms and such).

I believe the OP was looking to purchase in USD.

Remember you loose all your EU travel protection when you book through the US sites.

So if RCI cancels or changes your cruise you are SOL!

I think I will take my chances that the major cruise lines will not go under and leave me stranded somewhere and therefore making ATOL/ABTA irrelevant.

Furthermore to be covered you must book your flights by using a package. Every time I have checked what RCI or Celebrity is charging to include a flight FAR supersedes the cost of travel insurance. Again, making ATOL useless.

I may be missing something but I haven’t found any justification for what seems to be scare tactics of the U.K. travel industry particularly as it relates to cruising.

I think I will take my chances that the major cruise lines will not go under and leave me stranded somewhere and therefore making ATOL/ABTA irrelevant.

Furthermore to be covered you must book your flights by using a package. Every time I have checked what RCI or Celebrity is charging to include a flight FAR supersedes the cost of travel insurance. Again, making ATOL useless.

I may be missing something but I haven’t found any justification for what seems to be scare tactics of the U.K. travel industry particularly as it relates to cruising.

That would not be my concern either - but when they get you stranded for any reason - such as a broken ship or weather or a ship-charter - the EU rules would protect you - the US rules will give you nada!

EU gives you consumer pretection rights against RCI messing up your vacation - US T+C will let them get away with any change/ mess without compensation!

That would not be my concern either - but when they get you stranded for any reason - such as a broken ship or weather or a ship-charter - the EU rules would protect you - the US rules will give you nada!

EU gives you consumer pretection rights against RCI messing up your vacation - US T+C will let them get away with any change/ mess without compensation!

Not if you have travel insurance and it’s a lot less than some of the offered U.K. cruise rates compared to the US.

Just book with whomever you feel most comfortable.

Absolutely - but no EU insurance would cover US booking risks and vice versa so as a EU citizen you will not find an insurance that will cover the risk of you booking under US rules.....

Every insurance policy is binding to a certain country and you being a citizen of that country.

One reason why UK prices ar higher is because RCI is taking on more liabilty.

Absolutely - but no EU insurance would cover US booking risks and vice versa so as a EU citizen you will not find an insurance that will cover the risk of you booking under US rules.....

Last word on this.....I’m afraid you are mistaken. My travel insurance covers me for all the things you have mentioned. It has NOTHING to do with where I booked the trip.

Very intersting - but where do you live and where did you book that insurance?

I have investigated into this and NO insurance in the EU will cover the risks that you take when booking under US rules and no US insurance will cover someone living outside of the US for these risks either....

So if you live in the US and book in the US of course your US travel insurance will cover you - but that is not the point of this discussion.....

Very obvious reason is no insurance wants to take on consumer courts in a country that they do not do their business in.

But then maybe you have wrong information as to what is covered?:confused:

I live in the UK. Husband’s work policy. I know EXACTLY what is covered. Would you like the dose of my OCD medication?

Over and out. Book where and with whom you desire.

So you were pretending anybody can get insurance when you knew that this was not the case - as it is a special company insurance.....:eek::rolleyes:(n)

Travel insurance must be purchased from your country of residence, that is correct but where you book your cruise is irrelevant as long as you have cover for that country. I’ve had a small claim on one and there was no question of booking location.

With the exception on one NCL cruise that was much cheaper in the UK I book all my cruises through agents in the US. I use a website where agents compete for the best deal and have used maybe 6 different agents found on this site without any problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are totally missing the point :o - non of your insurances will cover anything when RCI messes up you consumer rights by for example cancelling or moving your cruises.....:rolleyes:

But since you are missing the point anyhow :eek: - it does not make sense to argue any further.....happy sailing!:*

Whenever rci cancel cruises I have seen they offer refunds, price protection if you swap to another cruise, and FCC’s.

I wouldn’t go to my insurance company for that.

If they cancelled a cruise and I had booked independent flights to board it ( which I do) then I would either look for another cruise to fit, turn it into a land based holiday or book a hotel.... make lemonade....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk