Elation or Triumph

Dphelps417

Hi all! I am a first time cruiser, planning on going with my wife and 2 year old son. We are trying to choose between 2 almost identical cruises. They are within 2 days of each other. Triumph out of Galveston or Elation out of NOLA. Elation is about $100 cheaper but since we have a crib to think about, the slightly larger rooms on the Triumph evens it out for us. So that is where you come in.

I have seen lots of comparisons, but they all seem to be Pre triumph renovation. They usually recommend Elation but now that Triumph has been renovated, does that change anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

I will say the Triumph too.

I have sailed on the Elation and while it is a nice ship, the Triumph has more of the 2.0 features we enjoyed. We really miss being on a 2.0 ship and we can not wait for Triumph to port in New Orleans (our embarkation port of choice).

I have sailed six times on Elation and twice on Triumph.

Elation is nice.

It is smaller, but it is not small.

Triumph is my favorite Carnival ship, so far.

And yes I have sailed on bigger.

Bigger is not always better.

Newer is not always better.

And neither ship is all that old.

All things equal, I would choose Triumph.

It is not too small and not too big.

If there was a price difference or the opportunity to snag a special cabin, then that would make a big difference.

Also travel time to the port is a big factor.

Then we come to which is better, Galveston or New Orleans?

For me it is definitely New Orleans.

I have sailed on both and will be sailing on the Triumph in April and the Elation in May. I do like both ships and only noticeable difference is the Triumph has most of the 2.0 upgrades. The other major difference is port of call. There is nothing special about sailing out of Galveston, but sailing out of NO and down the Mississippi River is really a "to do list" item. It is really what I'm excited about the most for our cruise on the Elation.

I have been on the Elation and it may not have the upgrades but we had a great time. I definitely am looking forward to the Triumph coming to New Orleans in 2016 so I can sail on a ship with some of the upgrades that even the Dream doesn't have (Guy's Burgers). There are upsides to not having the upgrades, though, the burgers that the Elation does have are still quite good and they serve them for longer hours.

I have been on both, but I haven't been on the Triumph since the "upgrades". But even so, I still prefer the Triumph to the Elation. Triumph is right up there with the Splendor & Dream as my 3 favorite ships. I still really liked Elation, but I definitely felt that Triumph was much better. Nothing wrong with either ship, and there's certainly nothing wrong with being on ships that don't have the newest so-called "upgrades". But I do still think that Triumph is better, with or without the "upgrades".

Hi all! I am a first time cruiser, planning on going with my wife and 2 year old son. We are trying to choose between 2 almost identical cruises. They are within 2 days of each other. Triumph out of Galveston or Elation out of NOLA. Elation is about $100 cheaper but since we have a crib to think about, the slightly larger rooms on the Triumph evens it out for us. So that is where you come in.

I have seen lots of comparisons, but they all seem to be Pre triumph renovation. They usually recommend Elation but now that Triumph has been renovated, does that change anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

I would choose Triumph over Elation if getting to port issues such as flight times, etc. are not a consideration for you. I have cruised on Elation twice since November and while the ship is really clean and the staff very friendly and I love NOLA, the ship needs refurbishment IMO, and especially the cabins. I have not sailed on Triumph since it was refurbished, but the 2.0 upgrades are worthwhile IMO.

Have a great cruise with your family.