Transatlantic

Jeffrey1950

I am currently booked on a cruise for the Caribbean this year did the same trip last year and had a wonderful time. Weather was perfect. I am planning my next trip and hopefully it will be Transatlantic. My question is what is the weather like on board in May or June. This is when I am hoping o from New Your to the UK. Would you say it is warm enough to sit out on deck?

One can never know what the Atlantic weather systems will be for a TA, any time of year. You have a much better chance of fine weather when you intend to take your crossing. We have certainly had some gorgeous sunny days in April, along with a huge storm on the same journey.

I have just gotten back from a TA New York to Southampton. 10th/17th June. Our crossing was so calm. Every single day was clear and we even had warm sunny spells by day four. In a sheltered spot, you could sunbath with shorts and T shirt. Some were even in the pool [to cold for me]. Day 1/2/3 you needed a jacket up on deck as it was fairly breezy and a bit cool. Apparently, we had a surprisingly calm sailing. I did see on her return to New York fog on a couple of days so I would pack for ALL weather conditions.

Last May (2017) my wife and I did an E-W TA on the QM2. We were fortunate and had good weather, lows in the low 60's and highs in the low 70's. Grab a few layers and it was perfect for sitting on the promenade deck, with a warm cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine after 9:00AM, and watch the ocean roll by. Even in high winds or light rain there were always hearty souls doing laps as well. We also found the hot tubs on the stern of deck 8(?) are beautifully protected from all but the worst weather. There was one day of Gale Force 8 winds with what looked like 20' seas that kept us inside but the indoor pool and hot tubs on deck 12 were great as was the view from the Commodore's Club. It's just impossible to predict the weather on the North Atlantic even in broad generalities but like the true ocean liner she is, the QM2 seems to change personalities to meet the weather what ever it is.

Harold

One can never know what the Atlantic weather systems will be for a TA, any time of year. You have a much better chance of fine weather when you intend to take your crossing. We have certainly had some gorgeous sunny days in April, along with a huge storm on the same journey.

All I am hoping for is to be able to use the deck chairs. I love laying out on deck now I am wondering if Cunard would upon my request put a lounger in my sheltered balcony?

All I am hoping for is to be able to use the deck chairs. I love laying out on deck now I am wondering if Cunard would upon my request put a lounger in my sheltered balcony?

It's a big ocean: you are likely to experience different weather at different points during your crossing.

It is a small sheltered balcony: I'm not sure if "sun" would be part of your lounger experience.

We crossed in May one year. Not as warm and sunny as one of our September transatlantic. Not as rainy as November.

Never had a "bad" crossing. Each has offered different joys and is remembered in a different place in my heart.

Happy Sailing!

Since 2009 we have made six crossings on the QM2 in the months of May or early June. On not one of them was I disappointed. Collectively we have had a few days of fog, rain and only one day of very "bumpy" seas when we were thrown off balance in our stateroom. Most of the time it has been pleasant. It has never been too cold to sit on deck, although a blanket (whatever happened to steamer rugs:(?) has been helpful from time to time. But there have been many days when we have sat in a deck chair or on our balcony in short-sleeved shirts. One thing I noticed decades ago on our first crossing is that if it is cool and windy on one side of the promenade deck it is usually milder on the other side.

As I said the previous time this was discussed, there was one eastbound crossing in May when it was unbearably hot and humid and we didn't venture out for the first day and a half. The rest of the crossing was very comfortable.

Edited by david,Mississauga
Typo.