Two and a half days in Rome - what to do when???

vacation_mommy

We are spending 2 and a half days in Rome post cruise with our family (2 adults, 3 kids) and I am trying to arrange our tours. We will travel from Civittechia to Rome on a Saturday, then stay in Rome on Sunday and Monday full days. What time would you plan as the "starting" time the Saturday we arrive? I am thinking we might do a Colosseum tour the first afternoon around 2, then on Sunday just a general "Rome sights" tour, then Monday the Vatican. My kids really want to wait for the Papal blessing on Sunday but I am not sure I am up for the waiting - as well as 2 part days spent at the Vatican when there is so much to see in Rome. Thoughts - does this plan sound reasonable or would you move things around? What would the best schedule be? Thank you!

Not really any advice on when to do what, except that the Colisseum,The Forum and the Victor Emmanuel Monument are all close together. I would definitely suggest that you buy tickets for the Colisseum and Forum online beforehand as the queues can be very long. When we were there we hadn’t, but found a guy offering a very reasonable tour which included ‘skip the line’ tickets and took that up. The guide was very knowledgeable and it made the visit much more interesting.

We did buy ‘skip the line’ tickets for the Vatican from this site https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do. Thank goodness we did, because the queue was about half a mile long.

Our favourite building was the Pantheon, which was free, but I think there is now a charge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You'll be in Rome early, how early depends on the arrival time of your ship, how quickly you want to get off, and how you are getting to Rome from Civitavecchia. In any event it will be mid to late morning.

As you think about the Colosseum tour, keep in mind that the ticket also includes the Forum and Palatine Hill. The ticket is good for two days so you don't have to see them all at the same time, but the two days are consecutive.

Also note that the historic center of Rome is pretty small, the two furthest common points are the entrance to the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum and they are only two and a half miles apart, so a little back and forth to accommodate your kids won't horribly impact your available time.

As an aside, when I took our oldest to Rome for the first time he was 13. I let/made him do a lot of the research for the trip and he decided that we should see things in historical order, the way he was taught them in school. Now that made for a lot of back and forth and crisscrossing town!

I like your plan. We were there 3 full days pre cruise and did something similar. I would plan one full day for Vatican, and even if you get done early (which we did) - enjoy the free time after. The Colosseum took us less time than the Vatican so doing that on the first partial day is doable.

Where are you staying? If at a central location it is possible to walk almost everywhere. We walked to the Vatican and back from our hotel, as well as to the Colosseum. The Vatican was a hike, but if you are walkers you would be fine doing that.

Keep in mind that Monday is usually the busiest day in the Vatican museums because so many other museums are closed on Mondays in Rome. Unless you are going to do with an early access type of tour, I might re-think and schedule the Vatican for the day you arrive (e.g., Saturday).

Whatever you decide, one good way to divide it up would be:

Ancient Rome (1 day): Colosseum and Forum (skip Palatine Hill unless you are really interested in it) and the nearby Baths of Caracalla -- really impressive & best preserved imperial baths. If ambitious you could also see either the Capitoline Museum -- use Rick Steves's guide as a quick way to see highlights -- or the Basilica of San Clemente, built on three different layers of Roman history.

Vatican (1 day): Museums and Sistine chapel, plus St. Peter's. Your kids may also want to climb the dome. Also nearby and worth doing if you have time is Castel Sant'Angelo -- started out as the tomb of a Roman Emperor, later a Pope's fortress and recently famous for its role in Angels and Demons (worth watching before you go).

Remaining Day: Plan a walk across Rome that includes Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Largo Argentina, the Ghetto, and perhaps ends up in Trastevere, which is a charming area with lots of restaurant possibilities for dinner.

I've thrown in a lot -- not that you have to do it all but some may appeal more than others. :)

Keep in mind that Monday is usually the busiest day in the Vatican museums because so many other museums are closed on Mondays in Rome. Unless you are going to do with an early access type of tour, I might re-think and schedule the Vatican for the day you arrive (e.g., Saturday).

Ancient Rome (1 day): Colosseum and Forum (skip Palatine Hill unless you are really interested in it) and the nearby Baths of Caracalla -- really impressive & best preserved imperial baths. If ambitious you could also see either the Capitoline Museum -- use Rick Steves's guide as a quick way to see highlights -- or the Basilica of San Clemente, built on three different layers of Roman history.

Vatican (1 day): Museums and Sistine chapel, plus St. Peter's. Your kids may also want to climb the dome. Also nearby and worth doing if you have time is Castel Sant'Angelo -- started out as the tomb of a Roman Emperor, later a Pope's fortress and recently famous for its role in Angels and Demons (worth watching before you go).

Remaining Day: Plan a walk across Rome that includes Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Largo Argentina, the Ghetto, and perhaps ends up in Trastevere, which is a charming area with lots of restaurant possibilities for dinner.

I've thrown in a lot -- not that you have to do it all but some may appeal more than others. :)

When you say climb the dome, are you referring to St. Peters? We are planning our 2nd trip to Rome, this time with our teens, they might like something like that. By the way, CruiseMom, I have learned a lot from your posts. Very informative without lecturing like some other CC experts. Very nice job helping others with their vacations....

When you say climb the dome, are you referring to St. Peters? We are planning our 2nd trip to Rome, this time with our teens, they might like something like that. By the way, CruiseMom, I have learned a lot from your posts. Very informative without lecturing like some other CC experts. Very nice job helping others with their vacations....

Yes, I was talking about the dome at St. Peter's. It's quite an interesting experience for both the views inside (looking at the dome from a high vantage point) and for the exterior views at the top.

You can take an elevator partway and walk the rest. It does get rather narrow at the top (I am a bit claustrophobic, it was okay but not pleasant!).

The entrance/line is just to the right of the entrance for St. Peter's and at certain times of day it can get rather long. I think early morning and later afternoon are probably the best options.

(and thank you for the kind words! :D)

You'll be in Rome early, how early depends on the arrival time of your ship, how quickly you want to get off, and how you are getting to Rome from Civitavecchia. In any event it will be mid to late morning.

As you think about the Colosseum tour, keep in mind that the ticket also includes the Forum and Palatine Hill. The ticket is good for two days so you don't have to see them all at the same time, but the two days are consecutive.

Also note that the historic center of Rome is pretty small, the two furthest common points are the entrance to the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum and they are only two and a half miles apart, so a little back and forth to accommodate your kids won't horribly impact your available time.

As an aside, when I took our oldest to Rome for the first time he was 13. I let/made him do a lot of the research for the trip and he decided that we should see things in historical order, the way he was taught them in school. Now that made for a lot of back and forth and crisscrossing town!

That's a great idea! Although - not sure the youngest will appreciat the back and forth!

Thank you for all the tips to all the posters - it is making this short stay a little ledss intimidating.

Brilliant advice all around (as always!) on things to see, how, when & ways to maximize the fun for your kids. I know these ideas will help you customize your Rome itinerary for your family.

I’ll just mention how I decided to plan my first ever days in Rome and that was to start with where I was staying, in a small flat off the via Veneto near the Villa Borghese. Then I scanned the map looking for what I wanted to see, where it was in Rome in terms of my base and accounting for transiting myself, then I decided on my plan.

For me it made sense to divide the city into three sections, each one filled with amazing places to visit each day. I should say I was resolved to be above ground and walking at all times, probably not realistic for many but as it was the first visit, I figured I had to take it ALL in. On return visits to places, I tend to then jump onto transit to not only gain time but also go further and get with locals :)

My plan “mostly” worked as I saw everything that was on my agenda except for one place that partially was glitched up. Guess which one it was?

The Vatican. No they weren’t closed.

I echo cruisemom’s suggestions (& the rest) of watching Angels & Demons, Trastevere, Castel Sant’ Angelo (gorgeous at night if you happen to be passing by) or if you’re walking past a smaller church (& dressed modestly) in Rome, pop in for a few minutes; it’s a chance to cool off and even the smaller churches in Rome are really something. Also, the classic Roman Holiday (Audrey Hepburn & Gregory Peck) takes a wonderful tour through Rome, albeit in black & white, of places you’ll soon see. Some of Rome is in The Talented Mr Ripley but that jaunts from southern to northern Italy. Still, I love previewing places in shows and films ahead of a visit and after I get back!

Pantheon and Forum are awe inspiring but then nearly all of Rome is. They’re still unearthing new discoveries the new subway tunnel is being dug! An underground dwelling was just found, I think 2,500 years old? See Elisabetta Povoliedo’s NY Times story from 7 March 2018.

Your three days will be enough and will be amazing 😎

I am traveling with a friend, arriving from the airport and will be staying 3 days at the Palladium Palace. We will need to transfer from airport to the hotel and also from the hotel to the train station (will be heading to Florence). Any suggestions for how to get around while in Rome are greatly appreciated. Are there hop-on-hop-off buses? We don't speak any Italian so the thought of using public transportation is a little daunting...

Really like your idea of splitting up the city into sections- thanks for the plan!

I am traveling with a friend, arriving from the airport and will be staying 3 days at the Palladium Palace. We will need to transfer from airport to the hotel and also from the hotel to the train station (will be heading to Florence). Any suggestions for how to get around while in Rome are greatly appreciated. Are there hop-on-hop-off buses? We don't speak any Italian so the thought of using public transportation is a little daunting...

Really like your idea of splitting up the city into sections- thanks for the plan!

Well, the good news is that your hotel is very near the main train station, Termini. That makes it easy to get from the airport to your hotel via either the express train direct from the airport OR by express airport bus, which also drops off near Termini. The bus is cheaper, the train is faster, both are reasonable choices. Your hotel is only two blocks from the main station entrance at Termini -- if you pack reasonably and are mobile, you can simply walk. Same thing when you depart via train for Florence.

Regarding getting around Rome, it's very walkable when taken area by area. You might consider figuring out an area or two each day. You can take a taxi or even the metro (stations for both lines are also located at Termini) to your chosen location, and then just explore on foot.

I just returned from my 4th visit to Rome; on my previous 3 trips I never stayed longer than 24 hours, but this time I stayed for 3 nights.

You can buy a travel pass for 72 hours which will cost you 18 Euros (for adults) which will be good for Bus, Trams and Underground (a single trip costs 1.50 Euro each)

With Kids I wouldnt't want to visit the Vatican Museum (it's too overhelming and crowded), but only the St.Peter Basilica and maybe climb the Dome (did that already twice and it's amazing); be there first light on Sunday or Mondaymorning and there will not be a big crowd for that.

I followed as well the sights of "Angels and Demons", but was amazed, that almost every small church along the way can compete with a church in other cities. Visit for example "St.Iganzio de Loyola", the painting on the roof is amazing, there is even a fake dome painted on it...or any of the churches on the "Corso" (the street between Piazza del Popolo and the Vittorianum)

If you got time I highly suggest driving with the train (included in the transport pass) out to Ostia Antica, which was the port town of Ancient Rome; but here you really get the feeling how a Roman City looked like; with vendor stalls, houses, temples, a theater and bath.

Agree; with kids, let them do their own research and maybe each of them can pick one sight and you built your itinerary around them.

Well, the good news is that your hotel is very near the main train station, Termini. That makes it easy to get from the airport to your hotel via either the express train direct from the airport OR by express airport bus, which also drops off near Termini. The bus is cheaper, the train is faster, both are reasonable choices. Your hotel is only two blocks from the main station entrance at Termini -- if you pack reasonably and are mobile, you can simply walk. Same thing when you depart via train for Florence.

Regarding getting around Rome, it's very walkable when taken area by area. You might consider figuring out an area or two each day. You can take a taxi or even the metro (stations for both lines are also located at Termini) to your chosen location, and then just explore on foot.

Rome is very walkable with a good map and last time we were there and asked for directions everyone was very helpful and nice. Lots of people speak English. As for the HOHO bus- my friend did it and it was not the best.... from what I hear- Rome is not the place to do the HOHO bus.... just the layout of the city and where things are located. Cabs are easy to get from a cab stand. We had a great day last time - we walked from the Trevi Fountain to Spanish Steps to the Pantheon to the Colosseum and got to see so much and down narrow streets that are typical of Rome that twist and turn.

Our hotel was not that far from Termini and we set out our first day in Rome, armed with a good map and a plan to walk about in a sort of circle. We started going to the Spanish Steps, then on to a few other fountains and squares that just escape my memory right now. Then to the Pantheon, then to Trevi and we ended up back on the Spanish Steps to watch the sun set. (We were there early November, when the sun sets early). A most enjoyable day but we saw what we wanted to see and felt we had a decent feel of Rome.

From where we were, we had to take the metro to the Coliseum and forums for one day, and again the metro to the Vatican for another day.

So, in 3 days we saw the main highlites of Rome and we had time on another day to just wander about really trying to get away from all the tourists and again, get a real feeling for Rome.

Cheers

Len

we were there in July 2017 and did the night tour with Joe Banana Limos. It was excellent. IT was cool to see Rome at night and be driven to all the places I would of never seen by myself. We usually do a tour off the ship through italytoursharing.com but it was nice to book a private tour while staying in Rome and at night. The views of Rome at night were to die for!! Loved It. Going again in June this year, so excited!!! Throw your coin in the fountain, and if you are lucky like me, you will return every year because of the coin, lol...

lBy the way, CruiseMom, I have learned a lot from your posts. Very informative without lecturing like some other CC experts. Very nice job helping others with their vacations....

I couldn't agree more! I learned a lot and took her suggestions into account for my own planning!

Thank you so much for answering my questions! :)

Rome is very walkable with a good map and last time we were there and asked for directions everyone was very helpful and nice. Lots of people speak English. As for the HOHO bus- my friend did it and it was not the best.... from what I hear- Rome is not the place to do the HOHO bus.... just the layout of the city and where things are located. Cabs are easy to get from a cab stand. We had a great day last time - we walked from the Trevi Fountain to Spanish Steps to the Pantheon to the Colosseum and got to see so much and down narrow streets that are typical of Rome that twist and turn.

Thank you Amy!