2 QUICK Jewel (AK) questions

Slyster777

We have almost always purchased on the first day in the computer area with the computer manager. One time I bought it on the second day cause I bought the unlimited and got a little bit of a discount.

We chose not to do the shuttle but rather took the train from Seward to Anchorage it was several hours and it was a wonderful experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're doing the train from Anchorage to Seward. I did a lot of research, and came to the conclusion that a few hours on a cramped bus, (I don't care how many people are on the bus when your 6'4" with bad knee's it's cramped) wasn't going to work for me. Train for $99 seemed like a good choice. Vancouver to Seattle you have a couple choices, rent a car and drive it, train or fly. We're flying since I couldn't find any direct flights from Vancouver home that fit our schedule.

Thanks! Great tips :)

We did the train, but not through the cruise line.

We paid a bit extra to sit in the Observation car, and that had the most amazing views.

There was also an "open deck" in the back of the car, which DH enjoyed for photos.

Beautiful few hours.

Dinner was included, and although the menu sounded good, the food was, um, less than good. But we weren't on the train for the food, so it didn't matter.

We are hoping to take this train again, but not get off in Anchorage

GC

Doesn't the train leave ridiculously early in the morning?

There was a train at about dinner time, but it wasn't the "cruise line" train.

(I don't know if it currently operates at the same time.)

We booked it ourselves, and also got that great Observation Car. DEFINITELY worth it for this particular trip.

GC

Going on the Jewel to AK.. so much info here that I can't find it!

1- Purchase internet ahead of time? Or on boat same price.

I believe if you purchase the internet ahead of time you save the one time $3.95 set up fee. Otherwise prices are identical.

Doesn't the train leave ridiculously early in the morning?

Southbound Anchorage to Seward through Alaska Railroad leaves Anchorage at 0645. Through NCL it leaves Anchorage airport station around 1200.

Alaska Railroad website shows a passenger run each way once a day. The one through NCL is a charter I believe.

We did the train, but not through the cruise line.

We paid a bit extra to sit in the Observation car, and that had the most amazing views.

There was also an "open deck" in the back of the car, which DH enjoyed for photos.

Beautiful few hours.

Dinner was included, and although the menu sounded good, the food was, um, less than good. But we weren't on the train for the food, so it didn't matter.

We are hoping to take this train again, but not get off in Anchorage

GC

I did not book mine through the cruise line either. In fact, we spent 3 nights in Seward.

Do not skip Ray's seafood restaurant. If anyone else spends time there in Seward. Outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums