Mini Review - WiFi on Allure, all you can use plan

I'm on the Alure right now - not fretting over my minutes. I hadn't seen this plan mentioned but I'm not the most consistent CC RCCL Board reader. But there's a Premium Plus Voyage Plan with unlimited time. Here's the description:

With download speeds never before seen at sea, this package lets you do it all - from streaming movies, to live video calls, downloading large files and more. With Premium Plus the sky is the limit!

Only two (2) devices may be logged in at a time. In order to connect to another device, be sure to disconnect using logoff.com.

Because DH and I are self employed we always buy a lot of minutes and use them because it's actually more relaxing for us to check in with work 2X a day. Anyway - this IS faster and more consistent than anything we've had on the cruises we've been on.

I'm on my balcony now and the speed is quite good. I just did a test (which I would never even try in the past) and got a consistent 2+Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps up. And did I mention consistent?

Well we did lose connectivity earlier during a really really heavy rainstorm. But that only lasted about 15 minutes.

The plan is for 2 devices and costs $350, with the 10% discount we had it was $315, which I know is more than most people want to spend for internet on vacation. But for those of you who do need or want connectivity - it's about what we would normally pay when we had time limited connections. So I'm happier and even more relaxed.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like Allure might be up on the O3b system now?

I don't know -but if that's something new - my guess is that's what it is. I remember someone posting a week or so back (maybe a little more) that they were on the Allure and there was a day when everyone was given free wifi "to stress test the new system" So that sounds right.

Thank you for the information, even the bandwidth. I'm not sure I would pay $350 for unlimited 2 Device internet, but if work demanded it at least then I know I could write it off on our taxes.

I quite understand it's not at all for everyone. But I'm hoping enough people who can use it - will; and wont abuse it so it doesn't get hinky and bogged down that they continue to have this plan and it continues to work this well.

I gave up on the wifi in May on Allure because it was so horribly slow. I didn't try the wifi last week (even with my free hour) but I did print my boarding pass from a PC on Saturday in that weird little room on deck 9. It was still slow as hell. It took 30 minutes in May (with printing issues) and about 15 minutes on Saturday night. I would definitely be annoyed if I was paying for it.

Edited by somerandomidiot

We will be on the Allure this weekend as well and also looking for this information.

I found this information:

One hour Plan - $19.95

* 60 minutes of internet access that can be used throughout the cruise

* One (1) device may be logged in at any given time. Log off the first device before attempting to log in from another

One day Plan - $35.95

* 24 hours of continuous access, plan expires 24 hours from the time of purchase

* One (1) device may be logged in at any given time. Log off the first device before attempting to log in from another

Week Plan (7 Days) - $139.95

* Unlimited internet access for 7 days.

Cruise Plan Special - $274.95

* Unlimited internet access for the entire cruise

I am not sure if the last price will vary depending on the length but that is what is was for our 12 day TA.

I did not see any option which let two devices use the same plan at the same time.

We found the Internet was hit and miss on our trip.

You can use your C&A discounts on the packages too.

See you onboard!:D

I found this information:

One hour Plan - $19.95

* 60 minutes of internet access that can be used throughout the cruise

One day Plan - $35.95

* 24 hours of continuous access, plan expires 24 hours from the time of purchase

Week Plan (7 Days) - $139.95

* Unlimited internet access for 7 days.

Cruise Plan Special - $274.95

* Unlimited internet access for the entire cruise

I am not sure if the last price will vary depending on the length but that is what is was for our 12 day TA.

I did not see any option which let two devices use the same plan at the same time.

We found the Internet was hit and miss on our trip.

You can use your C&A discounts on the packages too.

See you onboard!:D

I don't think these prices apply to Allure anymore. They recently changed prices and now there are now prices that vary based on the speed you want.

The plan is for 2 devices and costs $350, with the 10% discount we had it was $315.

I was on the 10/12 sailing and this is quite a bit higher now! I paid $229 less the Diamond discount for unlimited on 2 devices. We never experienced any issues with connectivity. This is a 53% increase in pricing in one month. :eek:

I was on the 10/12 sailing and this is quite a bit higher now! I paid $229 less the Diamond discount for unlimited on 2 devices. We never experienced any issues with connectivity. This is a 53% increase in pricing in one month. :eek:

I believe the high price was because the OP opted for the highest level of speed. I think there are three speed levels to choose from now.

I just got off the Allure and they offered various packages (with faster speeds for skping etc. but gone is the pay so much per minute option or a package that offered 60 minutes to be used as you wanted.

Now the closest thing is a plan for 1 hour (at about $19) that has to be used within a 24 hour period. So, for someone like me who used to only need an hour for an entire cruise (just on a few minutes each evening to check important emails from home) I now had to buy a 60 minute package every other day and make sure I got on line at 6 pm the first night and 5 pm the second night to be within my 24 hour timeframe. I was not a happy camper.

The only saving grace is that the speed is much faster and because hubby and I are both Diamond, we each had a discount on our cards that made those first two packages free.

Still, I wish they would have kept the old buy 60 minutes to use when you want option for people like me.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't have my scanner set up so I will just re-type the info from the pricing flyer I got on the Allure below:

Basic: Checking in for flights or responding to the occasional e-mail, this package is ideal for basic users where the additional speed isn't important.

Voyage Plan - 2 Devices $200

Voyage Plan - 1 Device $150

Daily: $35

Hourly (used in same day): $15

Premium: At speeds 4x faster than the Basic plan, this is the perfect package to stay connected with your family and friends back home via e-mail, social media, Skype and more! This package is designed to WOW!

Voyage Plan - 2 Devices $210

Voyage Plan - 1 Device $160

Daily: $40

Hourly (used in same day): $20

Premium Plus: With download speeds never before seen at sea, this package lets you do it all - from streaming movies, to live video calls, downloading large files and more. With Premium Plus the sky is the limit.

Voyage Plan - 2 Devices $350

Voyage Plan - 1 Device $280

Daily: $70

Hourly (used in same day): $35

Enjoy!

In port today and with clear skies and the ship docked, the speed on that premium plus thing (the $350 plan) is 8Mbps downstream, fast and consistent, which means my email runs instead of taking a frustrating 30 minutes (try to log on, error message; try to log on, error message; log on; down load messages; log off to save minutes; respond to messages; try to log on etc.) I log on, get my messages, respond, log off - and I'm back in the pool in 5 min.

For us - it's been a wonderful feature.

In port today and with clear skies and the ship docked, the speed on that premium plus thing (the $350 plan) is 8Mbps downstream, fast and consistent, which means my email runs instead of taking a frustrating 30 minutes (try to log on, error message; try to log on, error message; log on; down load messages; log off to save minutes; respond to messages; try to log on etc.) I log on, get my messages, respond, log off - and I'm back in the pool in 5 min.

For us - it's been a wonderful feature.

Thanks for the report, 8Mbs is outstanding!

Great question, I'm interested in that answer too.

On the sea day trying to get into my VPN timed out almost immediately. Today, in port, but on my balcony with only about 2.6 Mbps (the 8Mbps was up on the solarium) - - it tried and I think had more hope since it took longer to NOT connect. I gave it two tries.

Will try again both later and from St. Martin. If I weren't being a totally lazy slug, not to mention sitting here waiting for the running of the drunks, I'd go back up to the solarium and try from there. If I get ambitious or finish my book I may try and will report.