Mini Review - WiFi on Allure, all you can use plan

On the sea day trying to get into my VPN timed out almost immediately. Today, in port, but on my balcony with only about 2.6 Mbps (the 8Mbps was up on the solarium) - - it tried and I think had more hope since it took longer to NOT connect. I gave it two tries.

Will try again both later and from St. Martin. If I weren't being a totally lazy slug, not to mention sitting here waiting for the running of the drunks, I'd go back up to the solarium and try from there. If I get ambitious or finish my book I may try and will report.

Thank-you for trying.

If you get a chance, please run a latency test. Very curious about that.

I posted this last week when I was on the Allure. It is the pricing sheet they gave me for the Internet packages and a short description.

My Emerald discount was 15% so I got the one device unlimited (middle package) for $136.

ImageUploadedByForums1415835886.927589.jpg.db23b04c739a6a4b56889d79c98da594.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by thrifty99

A couple of tips: You don't need to bother logging off a device to use another one. Just log into a new device and it automatically logs you off the prior one. But be sure your family knows to ask before signing on or they may boot you off while you are in the middle of something.

I had also mentioned I would sign in on my MacBook Air in the cabin and then using Internet Sharing on the MacBook I was able to connect our iPads. So we could use 3 devices at once in the cabin.

Speeds were pretty decent most of the week. A few times there was no internet for a short period of time - typically not more than about 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm on the Alure right now - not fretting over my minutes. I hadn't seen this plan mentioned but I'm not the most consistent CC RCCL Board reader. But there's a Premium Plus Voyage Plan with unlimited time. Here's the description:

With download speeds never before seen at sea, this package lets you do it all - from streaming movies, to live video calls, downloading large files and more. With Premium Plus the sky is the limit!

Only two (2) devices may be logged in at a time. In order to connect to another device, be sure to disconnect using logoff.com.

Because DH and I are self employed we always buy a lot of minutes and use them because it's actually more relaxing for us to check in with work 2X a day. Anyway - this IS faster and more consistent than anything we've had on the cruises we've been on.

I'm on my balcony now and the speed is quite good. I just did a test (which I would never even try in the past) and got a consistent 2+Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps up. And did I mention consistent?

Well we did lose connectivity earlier during a really really heavy rainstorm. But that only lasted about 15 minutes.

The plan is for 2 devices and costs $350, with the 10% discount we had it was $315, which I know is more than most people want to spend for internet on vacation. But for those of you who do need or want connectivity - it's about what we would normally pay when we had time limited connections. So I'm happier and even more relaxed.

Good to know.

So I'm back up on deck 15 and speed is faster again but...

Latency... Failed!

Connecting to VPN... not happening

Connecting to gotomypc... not happening which I don't really understand but I R not a real geek I just like playing with my toys.

But... IM works just fine.

I don't have my scanner set up so I will just re-type the info from the pricing flyer I got on the Allure below:

Basic: Checking in for flights or responding to the occasional e-mail, this package is ideal for basic users where the additional speed isn't important.

Voyage Plan - 2 Devices $200

Voyage Plan - 1 Device $150

Daily: $35

Hourly (used in same day): $15

Premium: At speeds 4x faster than the Basic plan, this is the perfect package to stay connected with your family and friends back home via e-mail, social media, Skype and more! This package is designed to WOW!

Voyage Plan - 2 Devices $210

Voyage Plan - 1 Device $160

Daily: $40

Hourly (used in same day): $20

Premium Plus: With download speeds never before seen at sea, this package lets you do it all - from streaming movies, to live video calls, downloading large files and more. With Premium Plus the sky is the limit.

Voyage Plan - 2 Devices $350

Voyage Plan - 1 Device $280

Daily: $70

Hourly (used in same day): $35

Enjoy!

Premium is just $10 more than Basic?

How odd!

A couple of tips: You don't need to bother logging off a device to use another one. Just log into a new device and it automatically logs you off the prior one. But be sure your family knows to ask before signing on or they may boot you off while you are in the middle of something.

I do not think that I like this.

I am on the Explorer right now, and when you try to log in a third device, it merely informs you that two devices are already logged in. It doesn't throw a user off.

Much better, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...