2nd Pax - Cancel/No Show

bchandler02

I've seen a few topics on this, but just want to be 100% sure I understand this right as this is my first cruise.

We are set to depart in two weeks. There is a good possibility that the 2nd person in my room will not be able to make it.

I called Carnival to ask what happens here, and they said I have two options:

1) After cancelling him out, it will cost me $81 to keep the room solo

2) To add a replacement person, it would cost $150

From what I have read here, it sounds like the best bet will be to just show up without this person, and I should get some credits refunded. Is that the best option?

I don't so much care about a refund - we understood no refunds after booking - I just hate to pay more when they already have his money - why do they care if 2 or 1 are in the room.

Thanks!

I've seen a few topics on this, but just want to be 100% sure I understand this right as this is my first cruise.

We are set to depart in two weeks. There is a good possibility that the 2nd person in my room will not be able to make it.

From what I have read here, it sounds like the best bet will be to just show up without this person, and I should get some credits refunded. Is that the best option?

I don't so much care about a refund - we understood no refunds after booking - I just hate to pay more when they already have his money - why do they care if 2 or 1 are in the room.

Thanks!

You are correct that having passenger 2 be a no-show on embarkation day is your best option otherwise you can be charged a solo supplement. Do not notify Carnival that passenger 2 is not coming. Just tell them when you check in on embarkation day that you do not "think" passenger 2 is coming. Carnival will refund back the taxes and port charges they have already collected for passenger 2 after they no-show. How they refund it can vary. They might put it on your Sail and Sign account onboard, or they might refund it back to the original form of payment. If you paid both fares on your credit card, they may put it on your Sail and Sign account onboard.

Have a great solo cruise!

Are you set to depart in 2 weeks or are you set to depart in 14 or less days.

If you are posting this at 15,16,17 days out (about 2 weeks), your booking is still in 75% penalty and the $81 represents 25% of the cruise fare that could still be refunded. You would have to make up that difference to keep the room solo.

Was the original cruise fare about $324 per person?

Once you are at 14 days or less your booking is in 100% penalty and you could either cancel or no-show the 2nd passenger. The results will be the same: A refund of the Government fees and taxes back to the credit card(s) of the non sailing passenger or whoever paid for the cruise.

Are you set to depart in 2 weeks or are you set to depart in 14 or less days.

If you are posting this at 15,16,17 days out (about 2 weeks), your booking is still in 75% penalty and the $81 represents 25% of the cruise fare that could still be refunded. You would have to make up that difference to keep the room solo.

Was the original cruise fare about $324 per person?

Once you are at 14 days or less your booking is in 100% penalty and you could either cancel or no-show the 2nd passenger. The results will be the same: A refund of the Government fees and taxes back to the credit card(s) of the non sailing passenger or whoever paid for the cruise.

Departure date is Jan 9th. The original fare was 334/person plus taxes/fees/port.

Doing a no show and cancelling within 14 days do not have the same outcome.If cancelling, Carnival will confiscate 100% cruise fare minus port fees & taxes as penalty. The cruiser remaining is highly likely to be charged the solo supplement fee because the fare of the other is gone under penalty. No show is absolutely the best way to go unless there is insurance involved that could cover the situation.

Edited by n6uqqq

One more question: Once we depart, and the 2nd pax has no-showed, will I have any issues buying the CHEERS package? I had previously learned that both people in the room had to buy it.

They will know and you can buy it for yourself.

This happened to me sailing on the Magic two weeks ago. When I checked in I was asked about the passenger sailing with me and I told them my sister had cancelled out on me. Within a few days the port fees and taxes had been credited to my credit card. I went to the atrium bar when I got on the ship and bought the Cheers package without any problems.

Enjoy your cruise. This was my first solo and I loved it!

• 7 months later...

I did this exact thing the other year. When i checked they asked where the other person was and i said we were traveling separate and i boarded the other person did a a no show and the taxes and port fees were refunded.

This happened to me sailing on the Magic two weeks ago. When I checked in I was asked about the passenger sailing with me and I told them my sister had cancelled out on me. Within a few days the port fees and taxes had been credited to my credit card. I went to the atrium bar when I got on the ship and bought the Cheers package without any problems.

Enjoy your cruise. This was my first solo and I loved it!

Bummer...I was hoping they would refund it to my on-board spending account. Leaving on the Elation on the 21st and my aunt is not able to go now. I'm using cash for my on board account and that would have been helpful, but I will make due--either way I'll see the refund.

Thanks!

Yes you will get taxes and port charges back to your cc that you made final payment with AFTER THE CRUISE!!!!